Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 00:45

Plan: LC
Stats: 305/305/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face New Member Needs Guidance

Hi,

My name is Jem and I am once again going to try to lose weight. I have either got to do it on my own or I have to have weight lost surgery. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, so I am constantly tired and the extra weight that I am carrying around doesn't help the situation. I saw my rheumatologist this past Friday and he said that if I didn't lose weight soon it will kill me. OK, let's see if this causes motivation.

I do have an appointment to speak with a surgeon on Oct 31 about the vertical lap banding surgery. But, this is not something I want to do and I am not sure that it will solve my problems. Most of the time when I eat it is not because I am hungry. It is because I love the taste of food.

I have always been overweight, but eight years ago I did lose 150 lbs. However, I have put them all back on...plus added some extra. When I lost weight before it was a combination of fat-free and fasting. It worked but I just don't know if I can go that route again.

Also, exercise is non exsistent in my life. I am caught in the catch 22 threadmill where exercise is concerned. I need to do it because it will make me feel better and give me more energy and I don't do it because I am to tired and because I don't feel good and have any energy.

I am not a red meat eater and I don't really like chicken. I do like fish and shrimp and I like salads, veggies and fruits. Unfortunately, I love cookies, chocolate and ice cream, sometimes I even crave them. I also love crunchy foods like chips w/salsa and crackers w/ cheese.

OK, now I have told you about myself and what I like to eat, I need someone to advise me on what to do next. Which diet do I follow now?

Thank you,
Jem
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

Jem
I have a condition called Central Nervous System Vasculitis (cnsv).
It causes fatigue, and a lot of joint pain from the heavy doses of steroids I was on.

I've always had to watch my weight but I got up to 265 at my highest. Not very healthy for someone who's 5'1 and had 2 strokes at 32 from the cnsv.
I cannot really exercise a lot because my balance is not great from the strokes.

So I lost some weight from Slimfast and starving. Not fun and I felt like crap all the time.
Someone in my cnsv group mentioned Sugar busters. I read the book. It really made a lot of sense. I figured why not give it a shot. I started on July 1st 2002. I have lost 21 pounds in 3 months. I went from a size 22 to a 16. I feel great. I eat great.

I am NEVER hungry. I don't exercise regularly. I go for a walk at the beach maybe 2 times a week.

My 15 year old daughter saw how great I am doing and started it too. For someone who ate nothing but white rice and potatoes, she adjusted to the plan great! She's gone form a size 22 to 18 in a month.

I thank God all the time for letting me find this plan. This is something I will, and can do for the rest of my life.
It is so simple once you get the hang of it.
I eat out all the time. I have a Rum & diet Coke if I feel like having a drink. It's a really awesome way to live. No more pills for heartburn. No more feeling draggy and crappy.
Please try it! The first month is weird, I ate 3 cases of Clemintine oranges because my body was going through sugar withdrawal. If you want to you can e-mail me privately, and this board is great. I know how you feel because I've been there!

Cheryl
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 23:33

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 190/184/120
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi!

Jem, you can still lose weight with this plan even if you can't exercise much. It won't come off as fast, but this is a lifestyle plan, and the longer you stay with it, the more you will just automatically cook and eat this way, even when the weight is off.
I've read a lot of different Low Carb books and feel this is the best one if you don't like red meats and chicken. But, do yourself a favor, if you decide you want to try this diet get the Sugar Busters book and at least one of the available cookbooks. My recommendation is the Brennans Sugar Bust for Life, and Sugar Bust for Life Two. They are the famous restauranteurs of New Orleans and so their cookbooks teem with seafood recipes, as well as many Italian, Creole, French and Cajun specialities, including around 17 pizza recipes in Volume Two. These are two cookbooks you'd enjoy cooking and eating from even if you didn't have to lose weight.
Rona