Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 16:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Why do we have to eat 10x?

I've seen several posts here that say, although LC isn't about counting calories, we should actually be eating 10 or 12 times our current weight in calories. I'm having a real hard time with this -- both doing it and understanding the reasons.

During the first 20 days of doing LC I didn't know how many calories I was eating. I just stuck to Induction as much as possible and lost 13 lbs. Then I started recording at Fitday and discovered my daily calory intake was around 1200, with the fat/protein/carbs ratios in line. I wasn't hungry, and the only thing I missed was a little fruit. Regardless, I started stuffing myself with food I didn't need or want just to try and bring that number up to 1950 (10x) calories.

But now I'm having second thoughts. I just don't understand why I have to eat so much, especially when I lost weight initially without knowing about this "rule".

I tried to find the "10 or 12 times" rule at the Arkins Center site, but no luck. I did find this articlal, The Metabolic Advantage, and it explains why we can eat far more calories than we could on low fat diets, but nowhere does it say that we must eat 10x our current weight.

This newbie sure would appreciate some advice and clarification about this from you longtimers. Thanks,

judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: Eclectic mix with Neander emphasis
Stats: 211/211/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi, Judy!

I don't know where 10-12 times came from either.

I do know that 1200 is too low. LCing isn't a low calorie way of life. It's also important to note that it takes *fat* to burn fat. Good fats such as avocado and olive oil would be best. Many use heavy cream, cream cheese, nuts and other ways to increase fat intake and therefore calories.

Does base how well this WOE works for you on induction results. It would be misleading and I wouldn't want you to be frustrated by slower results from this point on.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 18:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There have been many discussions on this board about the 10-12x guideline - you can find about 3 of them in the "Hot Links!" thread atop the "Newbies' Questions" forum.

The reader's digest version is this: 10x your body weight is roughly the amount of calories your body requires on a daily basis to perform those duties and actions that it must to keep you alive (or your BMR - basal metabolic rate). This is the energy it takes to break down protein, to build enzymes and hormones, to regulate body temperature. To keep you alive. It doesn't take into account your lifestyle (active, sendentary, bedridden) or the exercise you do every day (walking, weight lifting, bicycling etc).

Eating less than your BMR puts stress on your body - if it cannot receive the fuel it needs to function it is also not going to receive the fuel it needs to burn fat.

The guideline comes from basic human biology - not from any one LCing (or other diet) book.

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 22:30

BF:

Hi Nat...Hi Joanne,

Thanks Nat. I should have thought of checking Hot Links. I still don't understand the science, but I am convinced.

I'm sorry...I'll have to finish this tomorrow. I have a very determined cat who insists on draping herself over my right arm when she wants attention...makes it very difficult to type.

Joanne, if you need info re calories, check out "Hot Links". It's excellent.

gotta go, my arm is killing me...

judy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 18:46

BF:

Sorry I took so long following up...Seems there's been a Pandora's Box of threads started about 10x in the last few days.
Some experienced LC'ers for, and some against. Gets confusing, but....

I think the most important thing I've learned from reading the other threads, is that 10x is simply a "guideline", mainly to enable us low cal veterans to reverse the years of "can't eat that, it's too fattening" brainwashing. I sure don't want to end up with a metabolism that only allows me 1000 or 1200 calories a day in order to keep the weight off. (Been there, done that !)

Must admit, it ain't easy ! I'd gotten used to veggies w/o butter.
I'm still having a problem because of a lack of hunger, but I'm also learning to eat differently rather than eat more, as in using heavy cream to make sauces (just like the gourmet chefs I've seen on TV).

The bottom line is that I feel happy and confident that I can make this WOE a WOL and I've never felt that way about any other eating plan. Thanks Nat ! As you said in your first post to me, this really is going to be the last diet I'll ever be on.

judy