Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 14:50

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Restarting- need motivation

I have started and stopped the Atkins Diet 3 times since November 2001. Over the years I have gained weight steadily because I have not exercised that much and I was in a bad marriage for 11 years. Well I rectified the marriage part (getting divorced) and I have started walking again, but now I need to straighten out the way I eat. I restarted Atkins on Monday and really need motivation:

I have learned a few things in the time I have done the Atkins on/off for the past couple of months:

1. I like the way I feel when I am on it (more than a week) I have alot of energy

2. I get bored with meat all of the time, but haven't really tried any new recipes. I love vegetables and would love any suggestions on vegetable dishes low in carbs that I can eat to replace the meat every once in a while.

3. I find that if I don't have something readily available to eat- I stray off and have carbs.

4. I know that this way of eating works, I have watched many of you lose a great deal of weight over my 5 months on and off this site.

5. I NEED MOTIVATION FROM ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME TIPS ON HOW TO CURB MY CRAVINGS AND STAY FOCUSED.

Thanks for any input.

Kassy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 15:14

Plan: Atkins (89)
Stats: 221/159/150 Female 66
BF:sizes:18W/ 8 /6-4
Progress: 87%
Smile Hello

Hi Kassy!!
I can relate with the falling off the wagon a lot. For me at least, cheese helped my sweet cravings and having quick things around to snack on (hard boiled eggs, ham and cheese rolled)
As far as staying focused, comparing how much better you feel on this WOE and how you'll feel if you fall off the wagon helps a bit. Maybe writting out what you feel that you'll get out of leaving plan and what you'd get if you'd stay on might help in those times of tempation. (I do the same thing with binge triggers in my journal.)
Hope some of my ramblings may have helped you!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Melissa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 15:26
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

For cravings, I found that chromium picolinate really helped me to stay on track.

For variety, you could start by having a different kind of salad every day at lunch, just experiment and put different things in it and top it with tuna salad, or deli meat, or leftover meat, whatever!

There are some breakfast recipies, but I haven't used any of them, I never got sick of bacon and eggs! (Until I got pregnant, then it sickened me.)

What worked best for me was those times I could get into a routine and just keep the habit of exercising, eating my healthy meals, and drinking my water. Loss of habit can really mess some people up.

The most delicious snack I ever had was goat cheese wrapped in ham slices! Heaven!

Elihnig
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:31

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.....

I think the best solution to curbing appetite on Atkins diet is to follow induction to the letter for the first two weeks. Once your body is cleared of the results of eating all of the carbs we used to, you will notice the absence of hunger.

Be sure to drink your water. When you think you want to eat, drink a glass of water first. It's common to mistake thirst for hunger.

Another supplement that may help you with sugar cravings is L-Glutamine.

And finally......for inspiration and to prevent eating off plan....indulge in reading here at the forum. Journals will inform and inspire you!

HTH
Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 14:43

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default thank you

Thanks for the input-
I am going to keep on trying . My headache stopped today- so I feel a little better. I am going to try the salad idea because I love salad, and I will pick up the supplements.

Kass
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 17:13

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

You've actually provided most of your answers with your own observations - or at least the nucleus of them.

1) You feel better. Focus on that. You KNOW a way of eating that makes you feel better than before. If the feeling is better than the feeling from eating a cupcake - and you keep that always in mind - problem largely solved.

2) Search through the menues and recipes in the books and on this site and elsewhere. Make experimenting and variety a feature of your approach.

3) Have something good readily available. Hard boiled eggs, cheese cubes, pepperoni, pork rinds (if you can stand them), pickles, olives, celery w/ creme cheese.

4) Put your knowledge that this method works to daily use by visualizing yourself at progressively better levels of fitness.

5) Get and stay fully active in this site. Offer support to others, keep your journal alive, and seek advice or just a comforting shoulder whenever, however and as often as you need.

I would recommend watching out for the chromium picolinate - perhaps try chromium polynicotinate instead. There has been some real concerns generated about it's safety. If you do decide to use it, be moderate and try to get off it as fast as you can. Why take the chance.