Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 11:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%
Default Can someone who is having a gallbladder removed continue L/C H/F?

My father's Dr's have decided that he needs to have his gallbladder removed. I tried to convince him to get a second opinion elsewhere but he refused. He has been l\c for 7 years, initially lost 30kg, and has kept most of it off. He is almost 70.
I wondered how this would effect him, could he continue l\c? What other consequences are there to having a gallbladder removed?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 18:28

Plan: Need to research first
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

My gall bladder was removed when I was 19. They told me that since I "can't" digest the fats the same way, if I eat too much, it will come right out. For the first 4 months or so, that was (somewhat) true. Whenever I ate something deep fried or greasy, you could see it in my bowel movements. However, I wasn't LC/ Primal at the time, and those foods are generally cooked in vegetable oils....so if he was eating healthy fats, would the outcome be the same?

Anyway, now I have no issues with fats, but I have cut out all of those garbage fats. I eat fats from meats, nuts, avocados, and coconuts.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonn9
My gall bladder was removed when I was 19. They told me that since I "can't" digest the fats the same way, if I eat too much, it will come right out. For the first 4 months or so, that was (somewhat) true. Whenever I ate something deep fried or greasy, you could see it in my bowel movements. However, I wasn't LC/ Primal at the time, and those foods are generally cooked in vegetable oils....so if he was eating healthy fats, would the outcome be the same?

Anyway, now I have no issues with fats, but I have cut out all of those garbage fats. I eat fats from meats, nuts, avocados, and coconuts.

seek out Suzanne.. she started this year's Zero Carb thread.. she had her gallbladder removed and she's Zero Carb.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 19:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's at least one thread ever week or so asking this question and so far I haven't seen one person say they had to give up LC/HF when they had gall bladder surgery. I think the usual answer is they have to kind of ease into HF again, but eventually it works just fine.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 23:08

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

It seems to vary wildly. I had mine out when eating SAD and never changed a thing diet wise. Never had a single digestive issue from it. I've had no problems low carbing and I just ate 1/4 c whipping cream and 4 oz cream cheese beat together with cocoa and splenda. I'm a happy girl!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 12:35

It turns out his problems are much worse and he is having a Whipple procedure. They will take out a piece of his pancreas, gallbladder, duodenum, a portion of the common bile duct and part of his stomach. He has a tumor, they won't know if it is cancerous or not till after it is removed.
He has now totally gone off of L\C, says he has "cravings". I don't know what to do about that. I remember reading somewhere that glucose feeds cancer and that a ketogenic diet would be beneficial. Could anyone link me to the research?
Thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate your input and support.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 06:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I'm so sorry, sondacop. Here's a link to a digest article laying out the science:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90817184539.htm

And I couldn't find much more because the first two pages of search results were all about reassuring people they could still eat sugar while they have cancer! It seems like a disinformation campaign by the "nutrition industry." But it is an undeniable fact that ketogenic diets have been beneficial for people with cancer; strangely enough, it is considered a "last ditch" attempt when others have failed... and it still works.

After the surgery, the medical people are going to be very firm about staying away from all fats. This is my new goto article for such questions:

How to enjoy bacon without a gallbladder

And has a lot of great information in it. Hope it helps.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 07:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Also, this post has some great links:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=441466

And I ran across this paper:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...10602204202.htm

Which indicated having a low C-Reactive protein rate helped women survive breast cancer. This means low inflammation; something low carb is known for.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, May-13-12 at 11:00.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 11:38

Thank you so much! I sent him the links. I gave him protein powder to up his protein with smoothies and such. We went to the consult today and he will have a CT tomorrow and then they will decide about the operation. The Dr didn't have any advice on nutrition but asked him to try to get into shape.