Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 21:11

Plan: none
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:
Default Skin Yeast infection

Hi all,
for the past 2 months i have had a rash on my foreskin that seems to be spreading really slowly. the foreskin tightens up and the skin cracks, skin flakes constantly, and is red and patchy. its only on the skin not the head. i have done done dozens of hours of research but have not found much information on skin yeast infection.

i have tried clotrimazole, fluconazole, ketoconazole, coconut oil, eating lots of garlic and yogurt but nothing seems to get rid of it, only slow the spreading. i keep it very dry and wash it daily without soap (because of the fragrance).

im getting pretty worried as new red patches are slowly popping up and growing and connecting and spreading down my shaft and im not really sure what to do. are there any more powerful creams out there that are effective as i dont think drastically changing my diet will have much of an effect since it isnt an internal infection and im not sure how effective eating grapeseed oil, oregano oil, probiotics, garlic, etc. and all that healthfood store stuff would be.
any other males out there who have dealt with this or any info? im not much of a natural healing kind of person and would rather go to a doctor to get medication.

also would i be able to rub caprylic acid or Nystatin on my penis, could this be effective?
thanks.

Last edited by Petee : Sat, Jan-10-09 at 21:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 21:46

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I had a chronic skin infection for a long time that was yeast. Within 3 days of cutting grains from my diet it was gone. I had tried going with no sugar many time in my life, but only cutting grains worked. have you seen a doctor just to rule out anything more serious? Also, do you have a regular sex partner - you might be passing the problem back and forth or irritation or condoms might make it worse.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 22:04

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I had a chronic skin infection for a long time that was yeast. Within 3 days of cutting grains from my diet it was gone. I had tried going with no sugar many time in my life, but only cutting grains worked. have you seen a doctor just to rule out anything more serious? Also, do you have a regular sex partner - you might be passing the problem back and forth or irritation or condoms might make it worse.

im going to be completely cutting all grains and sugars from my diet starting today, thanks for the advice. i have been to the doctor and he prescribed me the fluconazole tablet and ketokonazole cream. he didnt take any skin samples or anything to test if it is yeast but he said it most likely is. but the scary part was that he said if these dont work i might have to get a circumcision which scares the poop out of me, which is why im trying my best to get rid of it.
i am sexually active with one girl but we have been abstaining from sex for the past 3 weeks, we have used condoms but i have never had a problem with latex or spermicide before. she also got tested for yeast and we're waiting for the results but she has absolutely no symptoms of an infection.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 23:31

BF:

You might try going for condoms with no Nonoxynol-9 (spermicide) because they might irritate and leave your skin vulnerable - you might be more snesitive than you used to be. It was a miracle for me - I'd used Miconazole by the case for about 4 years before I started low carbing.

I wish you lots of luck and I hope you don't have to be circumcised - that would be awful! Did your doctor check your blood sugar to make sure you are not running high. High blood sugar can cut your body's natural defenses and feed yeast growth.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 04:26

BF:
Progress:

thats a really good idea to get my blood sugar checked! i did quite a big search on which condoms use nonoxynol-9 but couldnt find much information on which condoms have it. i have been using these for the past few months: http://well.ca/products/lifestyles-...ndoms_3175.html and i cant find any info specifically on these if it has spermicide, im assuming not because nowhere on the pack does it say it uses nonoxynol-9
thanks for all the info, i really appreciate it!

and just as a side note, im not a sugar fan at all and have avoided sweets for years, hopefully this can work to my benefit
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 14:15

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petee
Hi all,
also would i be able to rub caprylic acid or Nystatin on my penis, could this be effective?
thanks.

Have you tried taking a caprylic acid supplement? You should be able to get one from a health-food store, that might do the trick from the inside, so to speak....

Good luck!

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 15:26

BF:

You should also bleach your undies.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 15:37

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Dairy could also be a problem. I had similar problems and my doctor kept giving me different creams; they did nothing. I kept eating yogurt, thinking it would help. But I didn't get better until I gave up all dairy.

Here's a yogurt substitute made from coconut milk that's surprisingly close to the original. It also has probiotics:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=377209
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 20:12
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 295/242/175 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Candida Cure

Petee, you should join Bee's group at :
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/candidasupport/

Excellent info and it is all free.

Bre
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 08:14

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
You should also bleach your undies.

I think she means wash them at over 60° C - that will kill any fungi. You don't need to turn all your sexy black underwear white, though!

amanda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petee
Hi all,
for the past 2 months i have had a rash on my foreskin that seems to be spreading really slowly. the foreskin tightens up and the skin cracks, skin flakes constantly, and is red and patchy. its only on the skin not the head. i have done done dozens of hours of research but have not found much information on skin yeast infection.

i have tried clotrimazole, fluconazole, ketoconazole, coconut oil, eating lots of garlic and yogurt but nothing seems to get rid of it, only slow the spreading. i keep it very dry and wash it daily without soap (because of the fragrance).

im getting pretty worried as new red patches are slowly popping up and growing and connecting and spreading down my shaft and im not really sure what to do. are there any more powerful creams out there that are effective as i dont think drastically changing my diet will have much of an effect since it isnt an internal infection and im not sure how effective eating grapeseed oil, oregano oil, probiotics, garlic, etc. and all that healthfood store stuff would be.
any other males out there who have dealt with this or any info? im not much of a natural healing kind of person and would rather go to a doctor to get medication.

thanks.

I had that problem before. The doctor told me that it was a yeast infection. He recommender monastate 7 or any over the conter creams that females use to cure yeast infection, and it worked awsome and was all healed in three days. Also I have had jock itch which is differnet fron yeast infection, it only appears on the folds of your crouch and buttocks and the inner thighs, and moist areas. Yeast infection is on the penis and shaft. I tried all the jock itch sprays and creams it didn't work. My wife told me to use diaper rash cream. It took care of it within the first two days. Desitin original Zinc oxide 40% Diaper rash ointment and it's alot cheaper to use.