Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 08:33

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%
Default Is anyone taking Loestrin?

I just got back from my OB/GYN and he wants be to go on Loestrin24Fe. I have not been on birth control in over 15 years and previously had a very difficult time adjusting to it. I am wondering if anyone here is on this medication? I am reading a website and there are vast degrees of opinions. Many people gain weight, have terrible mood swings, depression, and lose their hair. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160.2/151.6/120 Female 5feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Well, I'm on the generic equivilant of Loestrin. I haven't been on it for long, only about a month and a half now. My Dr. put me on it to try to stop the weight gain I had on another brand of pills. So far that's worked. I haven't had the cravings I used to have. I haven't noticed any mood swings so far or hair loss and i'm constantly on the watch for all of that. I had a lot of problems when I was using Depo so I'm pretty watchful when it comes to side effects these days. I have been a little more irritable recently, but I'm chalking that up to a friend and her 2 year old daughter staying with me rent free since July rather than the pills. Really though, everyone reacts to pills differently. This may work great for you or it may work out terribly. If you don't like the side effects, you can always switch or try a lower dosage (Not sure which dosage you're starting on). I would try giving it a few months to adjust and see how it goes from there. What kind of problems did you use to have on birth control if you don't mind me asking.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 13:17

Weight gain, bloating, tender breasts - that's about it! Thank for responding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar
Well, I'm on the generic equivilant of Loestrin. I haven't been on it for long, only about a month and a half now. My Dr. put me on it to try to stop the weight gain I had on another brand of pills. So far that's worked. I haven't had the cravings I used to have. I haven't noticed any mood swings so far or hair loss and i'm constantly on the watch for all of that. I had a lot of problems when I was using Depo so I'm pretty watchful when it comes to side effects these days. I have been a little more irritable recently, but I'm chalking that up to a friend and her 2 year old daughter staying with me rent free since July rather than the pills. Really though, everyone reacts to pills differently. This may work great for you or it may work out terribly. If you don't like the side effects, you can always switch or try a lower dosage (Not sure which dosage you're starting on). I would try giving it a few months to adjust and see how it goes from there. What kind of problems did you use to have on birth control if you don't mind me asking.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160.2/151.6/120 Female 5feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Ah, I think that's about standard with most pills for most people. I'm lucky enough that it doesn't bother me as long as I take the right pill. The weight gain was really bad when I was on Alesse, but my Dr. switched me to Loestrin because apparently there's a different amount of one hormone in it that will generally stop the cravings that are caused by most other pills. Like I said, it did work for me on that aspect. The only other side effect I have on pills are nausea, I can't stomach most of them. So far Loestrin has been the best for me, but it's only been a month and a half so that could change, but I've been on worse.

Oh, should probably warn you real quick. Loestrin can sometimes cause women to not have their period. It's fairly common with this pill, scared the snot out of me last month. I thought my husband was about to faint when I brought home the pregnancy test. But it's normal on this pill. Some people love it, some hate it.

Last edited by Mar : Fri, Oct-13-06 at 07:54.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 09:04

I read that too about not getting your period. I felt really foggy yesterday after taking the pill - did not like that all all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar
Ah, I think that's about standard with most pills for most people. I'm lucky enough that it doesn't bother me as long as I take the right pill. The weight gain was really bad when I was on Alesse, but my Dr. switched me to Loestrin because apparently there's a different amount of one hormone in it that will generally stop the cravings that are caused by most other pills. Like I said, it did work for me on that aspect. The only other side effect I have on pills are nausea, I can't stomach most of them. So far Loestrin has been the best for me, but it's only been a month and a half so that could change, but I've been on worse.

Oh, should probably warn you real quick. Loestrin can sometimes cause women to not have their period. It's fairly common with this pill, scared the snot out of me last month. I thought my husband was about to faint when I brought home the pregnancy test. But it's normal on this pill. Some people love it, some hate it.