Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/235.8/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Anyone in Victoria? where do you shop?

Hello I'm fairly new to the board, and to the Victoria area and I'm wondering where locals shop in the area? I've gone to lifestyles a couple times, thats a fun place but I do find things to be quite expensive there. Ie. Nothing seems to be under 10.00 for low carb stuff.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 23:43

Plan: Generic low-carb
Stats: 282/278/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Cordelia,

It's true. Most low-carb speciality foods are quite expensive. I find that sticking to whole foods, buying meat and fish in quantity when on sale and freezing it and only getting a few low-carb products to round things out is the cheapest way to go.

I don't drive, so costco and superstore are out, but I wander downtown to the Market on Yates and just behind it, the Low Carb Grocer about once every two weeks. The only speciality items I get on a regular basis are the Tortillas and the applesauce. Both are expensive but I only eat two tortillas and a spoonful of applesauce (w/ my pork chops) per week so it's not too bad in the long run. I know the first time I find new products I have a hard time not picking up everything in sight but I have a canister of bake mix that I haven't touched since Christmas, most of a loaf of bread getting freezer burn and a couple of bottles of sauce that I only drag out once in a blue moon.

I guess what I'm saying is try doing it with the minimum of fancy speciality foods for a bit then splurge on those things that you can't seem to manage without.

Were there any products in particular you were looking for?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Yogurt
Stats: 195/150/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 75%

See if I can help out a little bit.

Nilly is quite correct
Quote:
Most low-carb speciality foods are quite expensive. I find that sticking to whole foods, buying meat and fish in quantity when on sale and freezing it and only getting a few low-carb products to round things out is the cheapest way to go.

Costco in Langford has Atkins Ketchup [2 pack] for $5 something.
Atkins Brownie mix 2 pack. Sorry not sure here but I think maybe $8 something.
Talking Rain Carbonated and Not Carbonated $17 something for 24
Genisoy crunch bars and another new type of LC bar
Think that was it for Costco.
Now the Health food store At Colwood Corners has a bunch of new bars
I think the Maltitol [maybe Xylitol] sugar crystals ~ $8 smallish bag.
LaTortilla Wraps $5 something
Thriftys is getting some stuff in They are stocking Villages Low carb bread mixes and pizza mixes. They have the Atkins muffin mixes too expensive tho. I make my own. They make LC bread on Wednesdays and it goes fast. They do sell other brands tho. Make sure you read your labels well as most of the bread is not safe...for sure try to keep it at minimal quantities.
Good Luck and try to stay away from the Packaged stuff...its not as good as it seems.
Jan
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 18:48

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Thriftys is now carrying LC bread in the freezer (I'm not sure about the fresh section), as well as the Villages Pizza Crust Mix (dry) (2 kg for $6.99 I believe). They also have a Villages Bread Mix on the same shelf (be careful if you want one or the other not to pick up the wrong bag). Instructions are separate, and were attached to the shelf for you to take one.

Costco
Superstore

Fairway Markets had Atkins Bread and other items recently.
Country Grocer had a variety of Atkins products
Western Foods also had Atkins products

However, I don't usually buy any of them, and stick with whole products, so I'm not a lot of help on the prices.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 15:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordelia
Hello I'm fairly new to the board, and to the Victoria area and I'm wondering where locals shop in the area? I've gone to lifestyles a couple times, thats a fun place but I do find things to be quite expensive there. Ie. Nothing seems to be under 10.00 for low carb stuff.

Thanks!
Welcome to the area!

Mostly Real Food: Superstore, Save-On, Thrifty's, Fairway, Western Foods, Costco, Fujiya, Chinatown (fresh veggies).
Specialty: Save-on, Safeway, Thrifty's (ice creams), Lifestyle Markets, LowCarb Grocer, Royal Vitamins, Planet Organik.

All in the phone book. Do remember that almost no specialty LC products are allowed in more than tiny amounts on Induction, and definitely not recommended for the best most effective Induction.

Happy Spring!