Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/212/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Any mothers with babies?

Hello All,
I'm a fairly new mom with a nine month old boy. I was wondering how other mothers are doing on the LC diet. Is it working for you? do you work out, and if so, when do you find the time? also, how do you overcome the exhaustion from taking care of the kids to work out?
I've been stalled for a couple of weeks now, and I know that I need to get up and work out - but the only time I have to do that is when my son takes his afternoon nap. That is if I don't have any college homework to do, or household chores, or cooking, or so on and so forth. I'd just really like to hear from all the mothers on board - how's your diet going?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 08:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Let's see if I can finish this post one more time (she deleted it twice!)
I have a daughter who just turned one. She just started walking and I have to follow her everywhere because she gets into EVERYTHING. I am totally exhausted at the end of the day.
I started LC in may when she was 9 months old and I used to take walks around the park trails with the stroller. Then summer came and it was over 100 degres almost every day (or it felt like it) and stopped the walks. Joined the YMCA but she would not stay in the day care center so that didn't work out either. My other options were get up to walk at 5:30 am or walk at 9:00 pm and lets say that it never happened. Everyday I would say "tomorrow I will get up at 5:30 and walk" but somehow the snooze button and I have become good friends
Yesterday I started pushing the stroller again around the park. I am happy to report that I did it again today. Just 40 minutes but the trails go up and down so it is good exercise.
As far as the eating goes, I am doing really well. I could push myself with less carbs and loose faster but I prefer to go slow and not feel deprived. I know myself and if I do, I would most likely quit. I lost approx 15 lbs (I had lost 4 before LC) but I look so much better. My body composition is returning to my original body, the one I used to have when I was in my 20's. (I had my daughter at 41)
Don't get too obsessed with the stalls. I have been at my present weight for like a month now, but I still see progress in the way the body composition changes. (Like fat moving around and re-arranging itself). Your body needs time to adjust to this new way of eating.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 13:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have a baby, and a used to be baby las tI looked *sniff* I have a 7 month old daughter and a boy who is turning 4.

When my daughter was first born I signed up for a water exercise class that was from 6-7am. That way by the time I got home the rest of the family was just waking up. It relaly helped to start the day and give me energy for it.

Now my plan is to take my son to head start and drop the baby off at daycare at the same time. That gives me an hour or two before my classes start depending on the day. I am going to start the Body for Liffe rutine as you only do 20 min cardio or 45 mins weights, so I should be able to get in a great workout in that short time.

When I couldn't go to the gym here in the summer, the kids and I would take walks. If my SO was off we would take 2 strollers and really get a good workout pace going. The rest of the time I had to go at the 4 year olds pace, but we went for the distance. He probably got too much exercise on those little legs, but he loved getting out of the house.

There are also baby yoga, and other workout books you can buy specially made for mothers. You use the weight of your baby to do the exercises, and they think it's a game. I do a few occasionaly with my little ones and they laugh like it's the funniest thing ever. Then again my kids always seem to be laughing at me
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 19:18

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

I agree, walking is one of the best ways to get exercise with an infant. Mine are 5yrs (will be 6 on Sept. 20th), 3yrs, and 12wks. It has been too hot to walk here too, and I am still adjusting to life with an infant again. My older two are in school now, so two days a week it is just me and baby (the other three days it is me, baby, and 3yr old), so now that it is supposed to cool off, I will try to get out there and walk more. I like to put baby in a pack to carry her for a little extra workout and she like to be close to mom.