Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Default Clinton's vegetarian diet plugged his heart arteries?

Former President Bill Clinton has the "best" health care in the world, and it is absolutely free. So, why did he suddenly develop quadruple heart artery blockage requiring bypass surgery? The answer is simple. His doctors don't know that insulin causes heart disease. They never checked his insulin level. Clinton is just one of millions of people suffering from the AMA, AHA and USDA high-carb diet. President Clinton was very fond of Asian Indian vegetarian foods. Vegetarians in southern India have twice the heart disease rate of meat eating people in northern India. Some report say the rate is five time as bad for vegetarians and getting worse.

Exercise does NOT prevent heart disease. Bill Clinton was jogging with chest pains. Marathon runner James Fixx died at age 52 in his running shoes because of his vegetarian diet. Marathon runner Brian Maxwell, producer of the PowerBar, died of a heart attack at age 51 because of his high-carb diet. His bar is enough to give a healthy person heart disease. It is heavy in carbohydrates and bad fats.

Sick Willie and his heart of the matter - The Times of India

Heart arteries that are partially blocked can be cleared with the proper diet and supplement program, but you can't find the answer at the Mayo Clinic, American Medical Association or American Heart Association. Check out my web page that describes how to avoid heart disease and reverse existing coronary artery disease. Print it out for friends and family.

Heart Attack, Reversing Coronary Artery Disease, Stent & Lowering Cholesterol.

Kent
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 09:18

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent
Former President Bill Clinton has the "best" health care in the world, and it is absolutely free. So, why did he suddenly develop quadruple heart artery blockage requiring bypass surgery? The answer is simple. His doctors don't know that insulin causes heart disease. They never checked his insulin level. Clinton is just one of millions of people suffering from the AMA, AHA and USDA high-carb diet. President Clinton was very fond of Asian Indian vegetarian foods. Vegetarians in southern India have twice the heart disease rate of meat eating people in northern India. Some report say the rate is five time as bad for vegetarians and getting worse.

Exercise does NOT prevent heart disease. Bill Clinton was jogging with chest pains. Marathon runner James Fixx died at age 52 in his running shoes because of his vegetarian diet. Marathon runner Brian Maxwell, producer of the PowerBar, died of a heart attack at age 51 because of his high-carb diet. His bar is enough to give a healthy person heart disease. It is heavy in carbohydrates and bad fats.

Sick Willie and his heart of the matter - The Times of India

Heart arteries that are partially blocked can be cleared with the proper diet and supplement program, but you can't find the answer at the Mayo Clinic, American Medical Association or American Heart Association. Check out my web page that describes how to avoid heart disease and reverse existing coronary artery disease. Print it out for friends and family.

Heart Attack, Reversing Coronary Artery Disease, Stent & Lowering Cholesterol.

Kent

I thought slick willie was on the South Beach diet??? I don't think he was a vegetarian, unless I missed something? And of course, we all know about his fondness for fast food and cigars over the years (presumably he cut that out with the SB diet, but the damage was done...)

Anyway, it seems a little unfair to blaime these heart problems - Clinton, Fixx, Maxwell- on diet alone. There probably were other contributing factors - we all know Bill went through a period of intense stress, thanks to Mr. Starr and company...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 15:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Liking vegetarian dishes does not make you a vegetarian. When Clinton was in office, the press often poked fun of his love of all things fast food (particularly McDonalds and he wasn't going there just for the fries).
Too bad "Supersize Me" wasn't made yet at that time.

It's also interesting to note that the doctors here are saying that it takes a long time for occluded cardiac arteries to form and yet Jody Gorran (with the help of PETA) is insisting that this happened to him in less than 2 years because of his allegedly following the Atkins diet. Whoops!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 15:58

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??

i think it'll be very interesting to see what kind of diet changes are recommended to the ex-prez... will he stick with the SB plan? or will he fall for the low fat lies???
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 16:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I heard his cardiologist on the radio this morning, they're recommending LF. Doofuses!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 16:29
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Yeah, you get bypass surgery and the doctors finish your cardiovascular system off with a lf diet. Good job, docs.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 16:43

The Clinton reports are now claiming it was hereditary because of his mother. I am so sick of hearing this lame excuse. Plugged coronary arteries are not hereditary. Lifestyle, family favorite foods and family recipe books are hereditary. It is not in the genes. This is clearly proven in my relatives. Plugged coronary arteries are strictly diet related.

BTW, last time I checked fast food French fries were a vegetable.

The typical medical approach is to claim the arties are built up with plaque or cholesterol over a long period of time. This is possible, but the very fast accumulation of deposits are more likely. The deposits occur quickly as one moves from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to diabetes (high blood sugar). The blood insulin soars during this transition period. Insulin moves the small dense LDL particles into the blood vessel walls where they cause inflammation, etc. This is why so many people have great annual checkups but suddenly have a heart attack shortly thereafter. In the hospital they are also told they are diabetic.

Insulin was been shown to plug arteries in laboratory animals at least 50 year ago, maybe 80 year ago. The arteries plugged in a matter of days where the insulin was injected.

BTW, this is not the process described by the AHA or AMA because doing so would lead to the diet culprit behind the insulin surge --- CARBOHYDRATES. Blaming carbohydrates would crash the Food Pyramid Guide. The fraud goes on and on.

Concerning James Fixx and Brian Maxwell, their heart attacks were caused by diet. Fixx was a vegetarian but refused to take vitamin and mineral supplements. He was deficient in essential fatty acids, vitamins and protein. Both of them ate the typical very high carbohydrate diet recommended for marathon runners ---- for energy, you know. Well, as the insulin pushes the glucose into cells for energy it is also plugging the heart arteries. This doesn't happen when one is burning dietary fat for energy.

Kent
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 16:49

BF:

Quote:
BTW, last time I checked fast food French fries were a vegetable.

Yes, which is why I pointed out that he wasn't going there just for the fries. I remember hearing that he also had a particular fondness for Big Macs as well which are hardly vegetarian.

Quote:
The typical medical approach is to claim the arties are built up with plaque or cholesterol over a long period of time. This is possible, but the very fast accumulation of deposits are more likely. The deposits occur quickly as one moves from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to diabetes (high blood sugar).

Kent, do you have any references to studies to back this up or is this just a theory?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 18:00

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
Yeah, you get bypass surgery and the doctors finish your cardiovascular system off with a lf diet. Good job, docs.

huh? These are a few of the top cardio doctors in the nation... Have performed heart surgery and helped people with heart problems before. I'm pretty sure if they recommend a low fat diet then it is probably for the better. But, I don't know, maybe you have a PHD from Harvard Med... Do you honestly think that eating a lot of fat is going to be good for someone who just had triple bypass surgery?

Some people who low carb spend so much time putting down other diets! A LC person gets wicked pissed hearing others put down LC but then will turn around and put down LF. Low carb isn't for everyone just like low fat isn't for everyone...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 18:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

And just because someone had surgery, he should avoid fats?? Why?? If anything, perhaps they should be looking at the vegetable oils that would have been found in his various meals...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiP
huh? These are a few of the top cardio doctors in the nation... Have performed heart surgery and helped people with heart problems before. I'm pretty sure if they recommend a low fat diet then it is probably for the better. But, I don't know, maybe you have a PHD from Harvard Med... Do you honestly think that eating a lot of fat is going to be good for someone who just had triple bypass surgery?

Some people who low carb spend so much time putting down other diets! A LC person gets wicked pissed hearing others put down LC but then will turn around and put down LF. Low carb isn't for everyone just like low fat isn't for everyone...

I suppose it's pretty easy to claim that because research (well at least the older epidemiological statistical analyses) overwhelmingly seems to largely suggest low fat diets as being heart protective, then, well they must be right.
It wasn't just theologians who thought Galileo or Darwin or Newton or any of the other great scientific minds who turned accepted wisdom on its head, were dangerous fools. Most of their scientific colleagues thought so too. I actually am reassured that science is a pretty cautious business. Impulsive knee jerk change is never good. Nevertheless I would always rather be in the vanguard of scientifc discovery, particularly if it makes so much sense. Too often I hear scientists and lay people are like saying things like 'everybody' knows that saturated fat is a cardiovascular risk factor'. When you ask them why, you get the various versions of the many studies that finger sat fat but don't eliminate the complication of dietary carbohydrate. It's like saying that because plumbing problems are statistically associated with the attendance of plumbers, then plumbers must be a risk factor for plumbing problems.Time alone will tell wether you are just one of the conservative dietary theorists who can't quite believe that the huge juggernaut of medical and dietary science has got it so sadly and tragically wrong for so long. Unfortunately for slick Willie and the legions of other battlers who are likely to just believe the low fat nonsense, I have no doubt that what they need most of all is a high fat diet. But only, and this is such an important qualifier ( and I might add the most signifigant reason why science has so far missed the point) only if at the same time DIETARY CARBOHYDRATE IS DRASTICALLY REDUCED. High fat with high (or even 'moderate' carbohydrate just makes the inflammation caused by the carbohydrate/insulin even worse). Statistics is, I'm afraid, a very messy business, and it has needed the various low carb mavericks from Banting to Atkins and beyond to think are bit more laterally than conventional researchers, and see clearly how the statistics have lied so tragically.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 18:54

BF:

Quote:
Do you honestly think that eating a lot of fat is going to be good for someone who just had triple bypass surgery?

Better than a low fat/high carb diet unless President Clinton has a hankering to become a diabetic next.
A low fat diet following heart surgery is standard protocol and no matter how skilled the surgeon, the mortality rates following such surgeries when 3 vessel disease is present is fairly high (up to 50% at the 10 year mark). One would think that if the low fat diet was such as good treatment, especially when paired with revascularization of the heart through grafting, that there would be no further problems, but such is not the case.
I don't put down low fat diets because I'm pissed that people criticize low carb, I put them down because I've done my research and I believe they are a menace to the majority of the population. At the minimum, the track record for treatment with such diets following surgery (or even without surgery) isn't exactly stellar.

Last edited by Lisa N : Tue, Sep-07-04 at 19:12.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 19:11

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Maybe South Beach, which emphasizes LOW fat, isn't enough to counteract the genetic predisposition toward forming arterial plaque. I wonder if Atkins/PPP would have been more effective? With all the EFAs, you'd think the arteries might have cleared out more. But perhaps, SB did a partial job and he's lucky he didn't have an MI in the past year.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 19:14

I'm not saying Bill Clinton was a true and faithful vegetarian. After all, Clinton has a reputation for cheating, but in all my reading about him I have never heard anything mentioned about eating meat. He was solidly supported by animal rights activists. Junk food with high fat is being blamed for his heart disease, not meat.

Vegetarians are constantly cheating by eating meat. I used to visit Dr. Andrew Weil's message board where the majority were vegetarian or near so. One proclaimed vegetarian said she had steak at her brother-in-laws the evening before and said, "It was delicious." I posted a reply saying, "A vegetarian eats steak? What is this?" Naturally she got furious. Cheating is expected among vegetarians. The more they cheat the healthier they are and the long they can stay on the vegetarian diet without becoming ill.

Low-carbers cheat also, but the result is the opposite. Cheating makes a low-carber sick while cheating makes a vegetarian well. A low-carb doctor can look at the patients triglyceride reading as a direct measurement of the amount of cheating they have been doing.

The Clintons' most likely have a strong vegetarian leaning with perhaps some exceptions like snails or caviar. Obviously, the diet that plugged his heart arteries was HIGH-CARB, and the diet his doctors are now keeping him on is HIGH-CARB.

Kent
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 19:48

BF:

Quote:
I'm not saying Bill Clinton was a true and faithful vegetarian. After all, Clinton has a reputation for cheating, but in all my reading about him I have never heard anything mentioned about eating meat. He was solidly supported by animal rights activists. Junk food with high fat is being blamed for his heart disease, not meat.

I'm sorry, Kent, but eating vegetables from time to time doesn't make him a vegetarian, either. According to this link, some of his favorite foods contain meat (chicken and beef) and it's also known that he had a special fondness for Egg McMuffins and pork barbecue. Actually, one of the quotes I ran across while looking for the link below said, "Bill never met a meal he didn't like."

http://clinton4.nara.gov/textonly/W.../html/bill.html