Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 14:41

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Cross Border Here

Hi! I am not Canadian so you can tell me to go away if you want! I live in Blaine...I think I am a mile from the border crossing now (we jsut moved from an apartment four blocks from the crossing). This border living is interesting...here just minutes away live 2,000,000 plus folks and nearly that many things to do...and even Bellingham 30 miles to the south and all of Whatcom County barely acknowledges little bordertown Blaine. I wonder if White Rock and Surrey and bordertown on the Canadian side have that experience.

Anyway...my family and I adore coming to Canada and taking part in the oh-so-many-and-wonderful cultural and cool things going on in the greater VAncouver area. We run at Crescent Beach and Blackie Spit sometimes and want to learn more of the running trails. We went up for the Festival of Lights...did Canada win???? Better have as that display of fireworks was INCREDIBLE!!! Also enjoy hearing the beautiful accents and languages everywhere one goes!

I didn't realize until just today that this site is based in Canada. I would love to correspond or buddy up or something with someone closer to me in White Rock or Surrey or anywhere just north of here!

That is, if you are tolerant of Americans! (I do understand when others are not tolerant of some of us!)

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Don't sweat it Jo...we're open to anyone here!! There are many more countries than just Canada and the US that take part in this forum! The more the merrier I always say!

I know that sometimes americans get a bad rap, but I think that one of the reasons for that is that there are SO many more americans than there are canadians, and we receive so much of the US media from places that don't really have the "small town" feel of some of the smaller cities in Canada.

I find that many people in the US don't really know too much about Canada (or other countries for that matter) and it shows when they come to visit. (we have people that get off of cruise ships here and ask if prices in our stores are in US funds! ) I have family in the US and I have met many wonderful people there...if only there could be more spokespeople like that for the country.

I live in a very small part of the country, and the fishery is a big part of life in some small villages around here, but even when I have visited places out in western Canada people there can't believe it when I say that I am from the maritimes and have never been on a fishing boat!

The people here are great, so make yourself at home.

All the best,

KC
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:12

BF:

Oh, and did I mention the thing about "ABOOT" is kind of a myth!

Take care, eh?

KC
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:36

BF:
Default Hey Slim!!!

NO!!!! Aboot? Not Canadian!? I am originally from the Midwest and have family in the Dakotas and Minnesota...THEY say ABOOT!!! Probably one of those praire states and provinces thing. *I* have even been known to wax back to those funny midwestern accents. It took me years to figure out how not to say the R in washington. What R you say...well, jeez, can't you see it right there after the A!!??

Thanks for responding. I was hoping what I wrote would come off as amusing...I think more Canadians are more tolerant and accepting than most Americans! What you said about the tourists and not knowing about other countries, that's definitely part of it. Largely, we don't bother to learn about other places but to take a "safe" and familiar place with us when we travel abroad. A woman I work with has a brother in the Navy. He is currently on a ship near Japan. In all the ports he visits and all the opportunities he has to expand himself...he goes to McDonald's. *sigh*

I recently watched "The Shipping News" and heard a report on public radio about it. If you don't know, it was filmed there in Nova Scotia...what a BEAUTIFUL place you live!!! I'm especially fond of the west coast and the islands over here, but Oooh, the pictures I have seen of your side of the continent are fabulous!

Off to bed. Thanks for the welcome!

Jo
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:53

BF:

Hi again!

The Shipping News was a wonderful film and it was shot here in NS and in Newfoundland as well. They really did do a good job of capturing some of the spectacular landscapes on this end of the country. Even the accents weren't too far off.

We have many major motion pictures shot around here. I often see all the trucks unloading the fake snow onto the lawns in the middle of July! I've often heard people say that some of the big stars enjoy it here because people leave them alone and really don't make a big deal over them. When they are here filming you can find them in the local grocery stores without bodyguards or anything. Quite a few actually have summer homes around here as well...lots of privacy, and goodness knows the US dollar goes a long way around here!

It's funny how there are so many different accents around. You don't really notice your own until you go someplace else and it's pointed out to you.

Take care,

KC
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi!

I'm from Victoria, just over the water as the crow flies maybe 20 miles? I fly through Blaine/Birch Bay pretty regularly, and I think it's a lovely spot, it's an AWFUL lot like the rest of the West Coast, eh?

Matter of fact, I'm make a fast import run (north of Victoria, over the ferry, fly through Delta/SouthSurrey/WhiteRock, through the border crossing -- gawd I hope there's no huge line-ups -- through Blaine to Bellingham, then back again but sidelining through Birch Bay/south Blaine and then out again -- whew) this weekend.

Sometime if there's more time, maybe we could have a coffee or something? Usually there's not much open on Sundays, but maybe you could recommend something? I've been to the Blackberry coffeehouse once, but they have since been closed. Dang it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 15:40

BF:
Default Coffee

Coffee sometimes sounds great. The Blackberry House is opening under new management next week. Have to check it out! Or I work in B'ham if you come during the week!

And there's always the really good coffee *I* make!

Don't you wish they would move ahead with that ferry from Point Roberts to B'ham or Blaine? That would save tons of time...ferry to ferry to road.

Where do you restock your LC wares in B'ham? In other words, is there someplace I should be shopping that I don't know about!?

Jo
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Where do you restock your LC wares in B'ham? In other words, is there someplace I should be shopping that I don't know about!?

I only get one product line right now in B'Ham, and I'll tell ya but only over coffee ... in strictest confidence!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 18:04

BF:
Default Fair enough!

Don't fail to let me know when you will be around! I go to almost any store in BC to get cyclamate...beats saccharine and aspertame by miles...or kilometers if you will! Sucralose gives me a sugar buzz...it's almost worse than real sugar. ...sensitivities are odd animals aren't they? Speaking of animals...cute picture of the dogs!

Jo
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 18:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are quite a few Vancouver members on this site which actually originated right here in Vancouver. Keep your eye on or subscribe to the Canada Forum where we plan sporadic get-togethers.

I also host low-carb dinners at the Fish House. You can meet forum members as well as low-carbers and wannabe's.

Rumor has it that the Van Island contingent is planning to come to the October Dinner.

Here's the info: LC Dinner

Karen