Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 20:31

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default orange peel

how much orange peel (that comes in a spice jar) should i use to replace the zest of one orange?

silly question.. but thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,protein power
Stats: 134/118/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

If I zest an average sized orange w/a microplane, I come up w/aprox 1 Tablespoon. However, dried peel is more potent than fresh, so I would start w 1/2 Tablespoon. You know the old adage, you can always add more, but you can't take away!!Good luck! You must be cooking up a storm! What are you making?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:03

BF:

demi has some great recipes.. i used about 2 TBS orange peel but it didnt taste very orange-ish.. i used orange flavor instead of extract though so maybe thats why..

Recipe Name: Orange Soured Cream Cakes

5 Ounce Butter
6 Tblsp splenda
4 Large Eggs
Finely grated zest of a large orange
1 Tsp. orange extract
1/2 Cup Sour cream
6 Ounce ground almonds
1 Tsp. Baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then lightly butter a 12-hole muffin pan.

Cream the butter and the Splenda. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well, then mix in the orange zest, orange extract, baking powder and soured cream, before beating in the ground almonds.

Divide the mixture between the holes in the muffin pan, and then bake for 20-25 minutes, or until firm to the touch.

Just an idea: demi also mixed some of the juice from the orange with some cream cheese and Splenda to make a topping for the cakes

I used orange peel.. 2 TBS had 3 carbs with 1 fiber.. TOTAL carbs on these came to 53 - 19 fiber = 34 divided into 6 big muffins is about 5.7 net carbs each..

they came out really good just not orangey enough
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:03

BF:

thank you by the way!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 07:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

That does sound good! I bought some orange oil & it's very potent. Might try this recipe over the weekend using it. Years ago Southern Living had a recipe for breakfast rolls using orange. This sounds like it might be a good replacement.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 00:55

BF:

oooo i love orange!!

I just bought a coffee grinder to grind up almonds.. i hope it works as well as they say.. i find these recipes taste a bit too 'nutty' sometimes.. do you think its the whole UK to US conversion thing? I have it in my journal but havent looked at these recipes.. maybe im using too much ground almonds..

but they are really good!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 14:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I made the recipe yesterday, however I didn't have enough ground almonds to make 6 oz, so i used 3 oz almond & 3 oz Carbsense Zero Carb bake mix. Turned out quite good. Also used sour cream, splenda & grated orange zest as an icing. I think Europeans are more accustomed to cakes made only w/nuts. I have several Euro cookbooks & there are always lots of cakes made w/ground nuts, no flour. The grinder should work well for you. I bought a cheap one several years ago & it's still going strong! Thanks again for the recipe. Made my Sat morn! OOOO, I was thinking of orange butter to smear on these muffins! Guess we both miss oranges!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 09:50

BF:

Im going to super walmart today... I will have to look for carbsense zero carb bake mix.. im also going to look for dreamfields pasta (have you tried this? theres a thread about it in low carb products)

oo orange butter! im so hungry right now.. LOL

oh i forgot to add: demi posted that she will be adapting a rhubarb crumble.. jeanny did one and it looks great, but demi tends to use splenda only (which is great sor me since i dont use other sweeteners). demi is very good at converting recipes (so is jeanny of course). anyhow since rhubarb is in season around here (my MIL brought some home from a neighbor) I thought youd like to know.. I forget what the name of the thread is but if youre interested Ill post it for you

**slight tangent:: its been so cold here the last week! im thankful for the warmer weather (especially since it came on my days off!!)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 06:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

The Carbsense baking mix is very good. A bit pricey($4 something) but no bad soy taste. I use it + a bit of whole wheat flour for all my baking. Speaking of rhubarb, if you get the bake mix, whirl some mix, cold butter & splenda in the food processor till it looks crumbly, then top cooked, sweetened rhubarb w/it & bake till brown. Quite good! I think the proportions are about 1/2 c mix, 2 pkts splenda & 2-3 T cold butter. Gonna be hot the rest of the week!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 06:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh, I forgot about the Dreamfield's. I've tried all of the shapes & man, they are good. I don't know how it works, but everything I've read says it does. (No sugar spikes) WalMart carries it in the dried pasta aisle, as does Kroger. I've been eating a serving a week & no gain the next morning from it. I pay a little over $2 a box. Much better than the other pastas, in fact, there's no comparison!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 12:11

BF:

i bought the carbsense baking mix.. yeah a bit pricey, but i wont use that much of it great idea for rhubarb..

i also got the dreamfields.. i havent tried it yet (they were only about 1.60 a box!) but im glad to read you liked it im sure i will as well..

yay for summer weather!!!