Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 05:58

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default I am confused about BFL and need help!

I imputted my info in the CKD site and it says this:
Body Fat % 24.7
Daily Protein Intake: .9 grams Protein/lb
Daily Carb Intake: 20 grams
Minimum Daily Caloric Level: 12 cal/lb

131 grams of protein a day
126 grams of fat a day
20 carbs a day
Protein 30%
Fat 65%
Carbs 4%
Calories 1740

According to FitDay, for the last week I have been at:

Calories: 1652
Fat: 126 69%
Protein: 110 27%
Carbs: 19 4%

According to CKD it looks like I need less fat and a little more protein? I thought for Induction we should be at 70/25/5 for Fat/Protein/Carbs?

I will be starting BFL next week and I'm concerned about changing my numbers for that too! I have read I will need to increase my carbs and protein for BFL?

I haven't lost anything in the last two weeks on Induction and am frustrated. I don't consume hidden carbs, I drink a lot of water so I don't know what's going on. This is my second induction and I have heard that it's harder the second time around.

I have read a lot of my Body for Life book and the food part is confusing because the plan is considered low fat and carb food. I have read and printed most of this BFL forum and have really gotten some great info! I read the book last night and couldn't put it down!

I am confused about the workouts and the meals? I will never be able to do AM cardio during the week so most of my workouts will be at 4:30 PM. I have read to treat a cardio day and a lifting day differently with my diet? Does the post resistance meal only apply on a cardio day? From the info on this forum and the info in the book my understanding is on a cardio day to not eat 2-3 hrs before the cardio and don't eat for the hour after cardio. When I do eat meal #5 after cardio it should be high in carbs and protein and not have fat or fiber and then meal #6 can have fat/protein/carbs? On a lift day I should eat 45min before my workout and then my after workout meal can be an hour after lifting and it can be protein/fat/carbs?

I need help and support I'm afraid I will give up and say the heck with everything! My boyfriend and I broke up and now I even dread going to my gym because he goes there the same time I do!

Thanks to anyone that can help me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:03
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

CKD is not Atkins. It is a seperate eating and exercise program. BFL is also a seperate nutricion program. While some on here follow the BFL plan, many are doing thier LC plan (Atkins, CAD ext) and using the BFL workouts. The 6 small meals a day also helps to increase metabolism even when not doing the intense workouts.

What you first need to do is decide what program you would like to do. If you are comfortable with Atkins, go ahead and stick with it, adding the BFL workouts.

The only differences would be that you would slowly raise your carbs and move through OWL, and while your after workout meal is low fat, the rest of your meals would just be small atkins meals.

Healthy body weight for women is 22-27% so you are already at a great body fat percentage. This means that you may not lose much weight, but you will see a big difference in toning as you gain muscle. Before you begin BFL measure everywhere you can think of. Measure chest, hips, waist (upper and lower), arms (bicep and forarm), neck, thigh, calf what ever.

Remeasure your waist and hips once a week, then remeasure everywhere at 6 weeks and 12 weeks. While the scale may not move, or even go up, you'll find the inches going down as you replace fat with muscle.

My first couple of weeks on BFL I actually gained a couple of pounds. My measurements went down though, which meant the gain was muscle and water. Remember, no one but you sees the number on the scale, but everyone can see when you start wearing smaller jeans and have a tighter figure. If it helps hide the scale and only reweigh once a week, or at the end of the program, using the tape measure to monitor progress instead.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:06
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

On the cardio question, I asked that too when starting

Basicaly on lifting days have a small meal 1/2 hour befor elifting, then your LF post workout meal.

Cardio days don't eat 2-3 hours before working out and wait 1 hour after. Then you can have a regular meal with fat/protien/carbs,

While it takes practice, get in the habit of spreading your carbs and protien out through the day. Keep track enough you're not trying to have a higher carb/protien meal at end of day to meet numbers. That was one of the mistakes I made during the start of Atkins, and again starting BFL
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:34
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcomeau

I need help and support I'm afraid I will give up and say the heck with everything!

I don't have much to add to LadyBelle's excellent response. But I'd like to say, please don't give up before you get started! Don't get bogged down in all the details. There is absolutely no need to get everything perfect in your first week.

As you go along your body will tell you what you need. This is a lifestyle we are moving into. So we have all the time in the world to experiment and find what's right for us. When I started BFL I was eating about 20 grams of carbs/day. After a while I upped my carbs before and after workouts and found my workouts felt better and so did I. You too will have the luxury of finding out what works for you as you go along.

I can see your reluctance to workout at the same as your ex-boyfriend, but just wait till he sees your body transforming, he's gonna be soooo sorry. (hehehe)

Arnie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:57

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks you for the great advise. Would you mind posting a sample menu of what you eat on a cardio day and a lift day?

I used the CKD site and the Zone site to get my BF %'s are these accurate?

Also, I know that I will probably need to up my carbs to 25 or 30 but what about protein and fat? Do I keep my fat at 70% and protein at 25%? Do I follow the #s that the CKD site gave me?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcomeau
Also, I know that I will probably need to up my carbs to 25 or 30 but what about protein and fat? Do I keep my fat at 70% and protein at 25%? Do I follow the #s that the CKD site gave me?
If you're following BFL with LC eating then use those guidelines. If you're doing a CKD then use those numbers - as Ladybelle explained, don't let all the information confuse you.

Intense exercise with Induction level carbs is painful and self defeating - unless you've been doing both for a very long time. You will need to raise your carbs slighlty. Also, because of the nature of the BFL cardio (interval training) increasing your protein is recommended. Aim for 1g per lb of LBM as a minimum - you'll do better if you get 1g per lb of current body weight.

HTH
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 22:01
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

For menu ideas feel free to look at my Journal. I usually post menus and then my fitday stats. You may want to look though to see if I mention being bad that day, or haveing to little of something. I admit to not being perfect I started out at around 30g of carbs a day and have moved up to around 50.

On lifting days my meal 2 will usually say "post workout". Today I ended up having post workout meal before working out, but that is a different story
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 07:37
Get’n Skinny

Plan: BFL
Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%

No need to be confused about BFL. Bill Phillips intentionally wrote the book to make the nutrition part easy. There is no mention of counting calories, what percentage of carbs/protein/fat a meal should contain, it’s all proportions. Don’t get hung-up on counting grams of this and grams of that. When I started BFL (week 9 coming up…) I kept a spreadsheet of everything I ate. I counted the cals, I counted the grams, and after a couple of weeks I realized that if you stick to the proportion rule, and the authorized food list, you’ll get the nutrition your body needs, and a calorie deficit for weight loss.

Don’t fret the small stuff, don’t over analyze the nutrition, and hit those high points every time you work out. You’ll be amazed at the way your body responds to the positive stimulus. I’m not an active poster to this forum, but I am an avid reader of it. I’ve found that the participants and their experiences can be a great inspiration and motivator, so… Just start the challenge, and be assured that the help and support you need, will be there when you need it.

-Dave

Last edited by nomonic : Sat, Oct-18-03 at 08:34.