Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 13:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Fat confusion

Ok, I've read yet another article linking Omega-6 consumption to cancer and I decided to look up some of the types of fat I use. I use lots of coconut fat. It consists of Lauric, Myristic, and Palmitic fatty acids. But I don't see any of those listed as an Omega-3, 6 or 9 fatty acid. If they're not, what are they? Are they an Omega fat at all?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 13:45

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I found this list of omega 6. I was surprised at some of the oils on it.

Food Sources of Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids
Include:

Safflower oil - the richest natural source
Sunflower oil
Corn oil
Sesame oil
Hemp oil (best balance of omega 6:3)
Pumpkin oil
Soybean oil
Walnut oil
Wheatgerm oil
Evening Primrose oil
For details, see Table of Omega-3, Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids

Omega 6:3 Balance
Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids are best consumed in a ratio of about 3:1 - three omega 6 for one omega 3.

Most Western diets range between 10 and 20 to 1 in favor of omega 6, which is not good for health. We eat too much omega 6 fat and not enough omega 3 fat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 13:45

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Male -
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, I've read yet another article linking Omega-6 consumption to cancer and I decided to look up some of the types of fat I use. I use lots of coconut fat. It consists of Lauric, Myristic, and Palmitic fatty acids. But I don't see any of those listed as an Omega-3, 6 or 9 fatty acid. If they're not, what are they? Are they an Omega fat at all?

Was that article simply about Omega-6 consumption, or about badly balanced Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio? I bet the answer to your question is in Erasmus's book but I am not near my copy at the moment.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 14:14

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

All omegas (3, 6, and 9) are polyunsaturated. Coconut oil is like 97% saturated I think, so it will contain hardly any omega fats at all.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 14:27
Experimenter

BF:

Here's the article: http://nutraingredients.com/news/ng...prostate-cancer

Pretty danged compelling.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So probably most of the Omega-6 I get is coming from meat and nuts, and I take 5 grams of Fish Oil daily so I'm probably in pretty good balance.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 14:29

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Nancy,
Lauric, myristic and palmitic are all saturated fats. The various omega oils are polyunsaturates.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 23:34
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 220/207/170 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 26%

Checked Wikipedia . Good sources of Omega 3 are not only fish but flaxseed oil, walnuts and eggs from chickens fed on greens and insects rather than grains. Trouble with flaxseed oil apparently is that although it is edible we can't absorb it too well. Also flaxseed oil is just the good old linseed oil used by artists and carpenters so it's a hard taste to get used to ... Reminds me of shop B at high school!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 07:10

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Not only are they NOT omega fats, the saturated fats in coconut oil actually compete and displace EFA (essential fatty acids) in the form of omega fats in the body. Here's a quote from nutritionist Gittleman:
Quote:
"While coconut oil is definitely a good fat - I wrote about it as far back as 1996 in Beyond Pritikin - and it can be used once in a while on phase 3 Fat Flush, it does not have a starring role in any of my programs... one has to keep in mind that excessive amounts of saturated fats -especially in the form of coconut oil highly represented by well-intentioned but misguided "experts" as the ideal fat for cooking, eating, and everything that ails- act as metabolic roadblocks to the utlization of the EFA's."
Moral of da story - keep coconut oil use to minimum or you won't be getting adequate levels of EFA's in your diet.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 07:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
Here's a quote from nutritionist Gittleman: excessive amounts of saturated fats -especially in the form of coconut oil highly represented by well-intentioned but misguided "experts" as the ideal fat for cooking, eating, and everything that ails- act as metabolic roadblocks to the utlization of the EFAs

Does he have a reference for that? I haven't previously seen the argument that saturated fat blocks the activity of EFAs.

Beachbum - there are different types of EFA. Vegetarian sources like walnuts and flaxseed contain ALA which the body has to convert to other forms before it can be used. There is some discussion that some people don't convert ALA well. Animal sources of EFAs like fish contain the directly usable forms DHA and EPA.

TMAFAH! - too many acronyms flying around here
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 09:06
Experimenter

BF:

Well, one of the hallmarks of EFA deficiency is high triglycerides and low HDL, neither of which I have. I too would be interested in a citation about saturated fats displacing EFA's because a quick look in Google Scholar revealed nothing.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 09:14

Plan: high-fat Paleo +raw dairy
Stats: 270/248/210 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
All omegas (3, 6, and 9) are polyunsaturated. Coconut oil is like 97% saturated I think, so it will contain hardly any omega fats at all.

Some Omega-9s are monounsaturated (such as oleic acid and erucic acid).
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 09:15

Plan: high-fat Paleo +raw dairy
Stats: 270/248/210 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleo
Does he have a reference for that? I haven't previously seen the argument that saturated fat blocks the activity of EFAs.

I haven't, either. Mary Enig has never mentioned any such thing, and if anyone would know it would probably be her.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corafan
I haven't, either. Mary Enig has never mentioned any such thing, and if anyone would know it would probably be her.

Ah found something at Weston Price

http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/smartfats.html

---------------
From Barry Sears, Schmidt gets the notion that saturated fats interfere with delta-6 desaturases, enzymes the body uses to make elongated fatty acids from essential fatty acids. Actually, the reverse is true. Saturated fats contribute to the proper function of these vital enzymes.
---------------

Hum....
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I find this thread fascinating. I am interested in getting a better balance of omega 6 : omega 3 and I haven't seen anybody talk about how they're accomplishing it.

If omega 3 is coming primarily from fish and supplements (and you have concerns about limiting fish due to mercury, etc. and prefer whole food to supplements), you have a limited amount of incoming omega 3.

Therefore, (assuming you disagree with the sat fats blocking omegas argument) could you conclude that your best way to obtain a better ratio is to lower your omega 6 intake? And therefore to bump up your saturated fat intake to replace omega 6 intake?

Personally, I am consuming mainly butter and olive oil as fats, along with some fish and a fish oil supplement daily. What are others doing?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 12:04
Experimenter

BF:

I take 5 grams of fish oil, which mecury isn't a concern in any longer these days. I do that for my arthritis and to balance out whatever omega-6's I get.

Omega-6's would be coming from the nuts I eat. I guess Olive oil isn't an Omega anything at all. I also use a bit of peanut oil.

I get saturated fats from meat and coconut milk and eggs.