Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 19:57

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%
Default I have mixed feelings today.....

It was the first day of swimming at my daughter's daycare....I bought here what amounted to a three-piece swimsuit....bottoms, top and a swimming pullover/tankini top. I have posted about her before...she has developed early and has put on a little weight. But we did a mall search and the swimsuit fit her perfectly and was very flattering....but on their second swim today in the afternoon, she slipped off the tankini top leaving the more bikini style top on. (she is eight). Anyway, the daycare teacher asked her to put back on her cover up/tankini. At her age, she did not really understand why she was asked to do that as all but two other girls were wearing two-piece swimsuits. While I didn't think it was as flattering without the top, it did fit her perfectly and was not inappropriate.

Am I over reacting to feel funny about this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 20:04

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Ask the teacher why and if she doesn't have a good answer I would say you are not over reacting. Many young girls start developing early and they should not be penalized for it.

JMHO
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 04:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/245/150 Female 5'8"
BF:A Little LESS!
Progress: 14%

Shame on that teacher! Little girls get SO self concious about body image soon enough without help from people like HER!
I'd talk to her if I were you..
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 05:33

Leslie and Jan,
Thanks for responding...my DD just happened to mention the whole incident kind of in passing after we got home last night. She didn't seem upset and I didn't want to make a bigger deal than we already had by it, so I didn't convey my "slight alarm" to her. I just knew that she thought she looked cute when she left here yesterday morning, and I was worried about other children, but I didn't consider one of the teachers making her think twice. We've all seen the little girls that come in all shapes and sizes that are desperately hiding under big T-shirts in the pool and I just didn't want her to be that self-conscious this early on. I was a flat chested string bean and was so self-conscious to this day at almost 50 I can remember different incidents that occurred.

Thanks again,
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach, Modified LC
Stats: 285/264/180 Male 71 inches
BF:34%/28%/10%
Progress: 20%

Isn't it amazing that both well-developed and flat-chest child both felt equally ostracized in this society? I must say that I feel the US is probably the one of the less (mentally) healthy place to raise a girl.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 17:24

Default Bump

Just looking for some more input.
Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 18:02

Plan: SugerBusters
Stats: 275/205/145 Female 5'4"
BF:http://tickers.Tic
Progress: 54%

In my opinion if other girls were wearing bakini's and the teacher told your daughter to cover up and not the other girls, I would be absolutly livid!! As it was said in hear before, girls are so inpressionable at that age, and to help them start a complex about any part of their body,especilly for an adult, not to mention one I'm sure you daughter respects, is completly inapproperate of the teacher to do this. If it had been said to all the girls, I'd not find it as wrong as pin-pointing one child. I would say something to the teacher, as to what would depends on how strongly you feel about it.

Last edited by nikeb00 : Wed, May-31-06 at 23:09.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 22:59
Carolina Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Definitely pull aside the teacher and speak with her. It could be an honest mistake, such as the teacher saw her in the tankini top and perhaps thought it was an integral part of the suit or that you purposely put that top on her. A myriad of things. Anyway, ask for clarification and if you even feel that the teacher was unjust in her actions, then go medieval on her!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 02:47
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis_Mode
Isn't it amazing that both well-developed and flat-chest child both felt equally ostracized in this society? I must say that I feel the US is probably the one of the less (mentally) healthy place to raise a girl.

NO kidding. WHen I was young I was a little plump and started to develop early and was completely neurotic about it due to being teased mercilessly at school. Though athletic, I avoided pools/water like the plague. This remains with me today!! DH could never understand why I hated to go to the beach, even when my figure was decent. I couldn't understand how HE couldn't understand - after all he was male, and one of the ones who was probably judging. Well... I went to the beach with him in Germany (he's german) and the funny thing was that the skinny sporty girls were the ones in "functional" one pieces. Everyone else was in bikinis - old, young, fat, saggy, wrinkly....and they didn't care. It was just their body! So foreign to me
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-06, 08:44

Thanks Everybody,
IT is amazing to me how for so many reasons we can have such poor body image...I always admire the women out there on the beach that don't have the perfect body and they could not care less about what anybody thinks, and the thing is as my husband has told me so many times, self confidence is attractive in itself. I just never had it and I think it's a little late for me, but just speaking to my sister yesterday..she is six years younger but just turned 40, has battled her weight most of her life, but let me tell you...she will not let that keep her from having a great time with her kids at the water park or wherever they want to go. The difference is I wouldn't even consider going.

I am still disturbed by the request of the day care teacher...as I said, right now my dd is not embarrassed at all and that's how I want to keep it...at least as long as possible.....how do you raise a girl with that much self confidence? I guess that should be my question.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-06, 08:58

Plan: M/E & Atkins
Stats: 257/206/199 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:way too high!
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginyer
I am still disturbed by the request of the day care teacher...as I said, right now my dd is not embarrassed at all and that's how I want to keep it...at least as long as possible.....how do you raise a girl with that much self confidence? I guess that should be my question.

Hi Anita, I would probably feel the same way and be livid and not know what to do about it because I'm not one for confrontation....but I do understand how you are feeling, as you already know I have the same issues with my 9 year old daughter.

I also have to add that your husband is right...I hate to admit when a man is right It's true, self confidence in a women is sexy and I'm starting to get my self confidence back eventho I'm nowhere near my goal....and in order for your daughter to grow up like that she has to see that her mommy is self confident. Kids learn by what they see and not what we tell/teach them....WE as mothers have to show our daughters how to be proud of themselves NO MATTER WHAT....and to walk with their chin up (or double chin...lol)

And like someone else posted here, maybe you misread her, maybe she had a good reason to ask her to put it back on....we tend to always jump to the wrong conclusion....and sometimes we are wayyyy off.

Just my 2 cents.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-06, 09:19

Southbel,

Somehow I missed what you said about maybe being an honest mistake....until Ozzy pointed it out...thank you both....I guess being the nonconfrontational being that I am, that is what I am hoping....although I am sure my own mother would call me naive.....even at my age she still tells me that, but I do try to find and hope for the best in people. The older you get the more times you get burned, but also the more times you find out you were SOOOO WRONG!

Take Care,
Anita