Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-24, 19:58

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Whatever the salesman/saleswoman on your TV set sells you, either overtly or covertly, the majority of people will buy.

When I was young, we had the zero population growth movement. But corporate profits, for the corporations who own TV stations and advertise, require constant growth. One way to get that is population growth. More customers = more profits.

Many women were not having babies in their 20s or 30s, instead pursuing a career and helping keep the population down.

Soon there were women on dramas, comedies, talk shows, and other covert advertisements saying to their husbands, "My biological clock is ticking" meaning we better have a baby before I can't have one. And another baby boom happened.

There were only 3 billion people on the planet back then.

And it's not only women, they sell guys stuff too. Let's build a man cave.

I turned off the TV in 1990, and I see people going through waves of purchases. Everybody wants the product of the year whether it's a Bean Bag Baby Doll, or an Air Frier, or an SUV, or a Turkey Smoker, or a whatever.

People will buy whatever the salesman/saleswoman in their living room will tell them to buy. We are herding animals.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-24, 23:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
The Times View on Weight Loss Drugs: Foreseeable Harms

Weak regulation of innovative treatments such as Ozempic and Wegovy puts public health at risk

It’s a problem that could so easily have been predicted: the likely consequences when young women of a healthy size, but dissatisfied with their body image, collide with a new, heavily publicised prescription drug offering rapid weight loss with the minimum of effort.

One such outcome is that hitherto unseen numbers of young women — some anxious to be “beach body ready” — are being admitted to A&E departments with serious complications after taking Wegovy or Ozempic. These are brand names of semaglutide, which works to make individuals feel fuller and less hungry. They are, however, intended only for use under medical supervision in patients who are obese or suffer from type 2 diabetes.

For patients who meet the criteria and are monitored, such drugs can have notable benefits. For those who don’t, and aren’t, they can be highly dangerous. Potential complications include inflammation of the pancreas: as one alarmed hospital consultant said, “You can get very, very sick from it, and really quite quickly”. Yet as a Times investigation has established, it is worryingly easy for almost anyone to obtain these drugs by duping the checks demanded by online pharmacies. Chemists such as Boots and Superdrug are prescribing semaglutide-based drugs via their “online doctor” services without verification in person, placing the onus on the patient to provide truthful information. But for young women, or indeed men, who are preoccupied with achieving a particular body type, or have an eating disorder, being truthful online is unlikely to be a priority.

This foreseeable harm joins others associated with the misuse of prescription drugs and the government’s seeming inability to control how or where they are dispensed. In one troubling instance, it recently emerged in court that an autistic British 15-year-old with gender dysphoria was prescribed potentially life-threatening levels of testosterone by an online clinic, GenderGP, after a single online consultation with a counsellor.

In terms of regulation, the authorities are too often scrambling to shut the stable door months or even years after the horse has bolted. Vapes, for example, were first promoted as an alternative to cigarettes for adult smokers: they were considered the lesser of two evils, but not devoid of possible harm. Yet instead of being retained as a prescription-only tool, they have been widely marketed and sold in sickly-sweet flavours which are appealing to children. Their sale to under-18s was officially banned but laxly enforced: unbelievably, a loophole even allowed retailers to give them to children as free samples. Children’s doctors have now warned that vaping may cause long-term damage to young people’s lungs, hearts and brains, but in many the addiction is already established.

Two dismal certainties emerge from these widespread failures of scrutiny. The first is that the health of young people will inevitably be harmed. The second is that the NHS will be required to repair the damage, where that is possible, or to manage the resultant conditions. With NHS productivity flagging, and the public purse under ever greater strain, protecting the young from likely injury has an economic as well as a moral aspect. The UK simply cannot afford to allow companies or individuals to enrich themselves at the expense of public health, in the knowledge that the taxpayer will carry on meekly picking up the bill.

https://www.thetimes.com/comment/th...harms-8l3mg7g7s
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 07:51

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Weak regulation of innovative treatments such as Ozempic and Wegovy puts public health at risk

And it is on purpose. As a small business owner, I have to follow all regulations. Drug companies should, too.

In law, they would have a bigger responsiblity, as well.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 18:59

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/146.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
That is so sad.

Quit eating the carbs, don't rely on the drugs. Especially for young folks. The long term effects of the drug can hit you with something you cannot reverse down the line.

I am a musician, and saw a portfolio, pictures of young men and women from the Woodstock era. It was amazing to me to see how thin almost everybody was. It has to be diet and/or exercise that everybody, young and old, are doing wrong.

It's sad that the corporate media both feeds us foods that will make us obese, and the same media gives us a body image you can't get with those foods, and then sells you drugs to counteract the bad diet they are selling you in the first place.

IMO, that's evil with a capital E.

I know, sugar, fast food, and so many foods that are bad for you both taste great and are addicting. Changing your diet is the most important overweight people can do. Your health is your most important asset. Without it, nothing else matters. If you are on your death bead way too soon, like my 300 pound parents were, it's too late to fix the problem. It's too late to say "I shouldn't have eaten so many _______s."

All drugs carry a side effect. And nobody knows that the long term effect of the new drugs are on your body. You don't want to be on your death bed too early saying, "I wish I controlled my diet instead of taking the drugs that eventually gave me this condition."

Ah, but I can't control what others do. It's just sad to see so many manipulated by corporate quarterly profit reports instead of internal motivation.

My teen years were in the mid to late 1960s. Twiggy the model was huge then, and she was unnaturally skinny. Some girls wanted to copy her, but I don't remember it being a big thing, she was just an anomaly. Certainly men/boys didn't like how stick thin she looked. I can't remember anyone who was overweight. A few could lose 5-10 lbs, but that was about it. I never ever saw anyone who would have been 250+ pounds. Never.

One thing that was different was junk food. There weren't a gazillion types of cereals, cookies, chips, all that. I grew up in a family of 6, and there wasn't money for junk or sodas. My mother cooked food like she learned to cook in her youth on a farm. Meat, potatoes, vegetables, lettuce salad or fruit salad was pretty much every meal. Eggs and bacon for breakfast. They never bought packaged convenience foods, and I don't even remember very many things like that except for Swanson's TV dinners in a metal tray. I'm astonished in today's markets where you see dozens and dozens of chips, crackers, cookies, ice creams, and so on. It's crazy, no wonder people get overweight.

In 1973-74 I spent a year studying in France. Everyone there was slim and they indulged in full fat cream, cheese, wine. They didn't eat as much meat as we do in the U.S., but they ate it along with vegetables and fruits like apples and oranges. Portion sizes were definitely smaller. In a market things like chips were simple potato chips and were sold in very small packets, like individual packets we see here for eating with a sandwich or something. Cookies were simple and sold in small packets with maybe 20 cookies max in them. They didn't really drink sodas, but they did eat yogurt. I had my first Yoplait plain yogurt there and it was wonderful. Not like the Yoplait you see here. And they drank espresso coffee and cappuccinos. Water. French brand was fabulous, but they didn't go crazy with it. Also...they French walk everywhere when it's possible, even in the cities.

Anyhow, I can't imagine resorting to pills to lose weight. Those weird chemical concoctions have to be messing with your body in bad ways. They always say that losing weight is 80% what you eat each day. Some exercise helps a bit, I've noticed that, but I've lost weight multiple times at a fairly good clip without any exercise at all. It's about the food. I love low carb because I feel so good eating that way. I can go on a sugary junk binge as easy as anyone, but I always feel horrendous from it and can't do it for very long.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 17:23

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

High fat works for me (Keto). The French seem to eat a lot of fat, and they are thinner than us (as you noticed).

Corporate agriculture has convinced both people and the medical profession that a low fat diet is the way to eat.

Big ag likes it because you are buying their products, and big medicine likes it because you get sick more and need more care and drugs.

You and I don't matter, the only thing that matters is corporate profits, and in order for the stockholders to not jump ship, the profits need to increase and increase perpetually.

Since we don't matter to them, we have to take care of ourselves.

I found keto (through Atkins induction). It's not the first diet I tried, but it's the first one that worked for me.

I'm 77, have a heart and circulatory system of a 50-year-old, and I don't get sick, except for a 3-day cold every 15 years or so.

I don't suppose one diet would work for everyone. If it did, we would only need one diet book.

So if the diet you are on isn't working for you, find another, and keep looking until you find the one that agrees with you, and stick to it.

Without your health, nothing else matters. If you are obese, you are unhealthy, and sooner or later you will pay the price — and it might be the point of no return.

Don't put your faith in any self-proclaimed expert, whether he/she says he/she is a doctor, nutritionist, or any other kind of expert. Look at yourself. Is what you are doing working? If not, why stick to it, no matter how many experts tell you it's right. Many of those experts are simply salesmen or saleswomen in disguise.

I remember the ads, 3 out of 4 doctors recommend Camel cigarettes.

And don't buy drugs to feed your bad eating habits.

My dad had type 2 diabetes. He kept taking more and more insulin. But insulin is the killer hormone, it burned out the blood vessels that fed his heart and kidneys. My mom had multiple strokes until the big one happened, and she would sit there and repeat "Somebody, somebody, somebody" or "What is happening to us" or calling everybody by my sister's first name. It was heartbreaking to watch her babble on, not able to communicate with anyone.

Pay attention to yourself, find what works, and don't stick to anything that isn't working. You have one life that we know if, don't cut it short.