Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 18:42

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/146.3/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The myth that protein turns to chocolate cake has to die. A new review paper, Common questions and misconceptions about protein supplementation: what does the scientific evidence really show? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC11022925/
And an article, Gluconeogenesis: Dispelling the Keto Fearmongering: https://optimisingnutrition.com/pro...luconeogenesis/

30% protein is perfect for someone close to goal like you, or in maintenance on balanced diet. It's in the magical 30% trend Dr Naiman favors: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...0&postcount=362 useful staring points.
For more aggressive weight loss, almost a PSMF, 40% P works for many Optimisers for a short period of time, but that depends on your preferred diet.

I can comment more in your journal, but clarify here that Fairlife Milk is an Ultra-Filtered product, lactose has been filtered out. https://fairlife.com/ultra-filtered...2-percent-milk/ has 50% more protein, because 50% less sugar. Non-fat, A2, different brands or goat's milk yogurt are some options that can be tested.

Actually, for me, while lactose may be a bit of a problem, my issue is the casein in milk more than lactose. Cream and half/half don't affect me when I have them in very small amounts. When I did testing for celiac, I also tested dairy, corn, and a few other things. I was told (one can never be sure this was accurate) that casein might be just as destructive to my system as gluten and the doctor said I should avoid it just like I do gluten. When I was a baby I had terrible problems with dairy right from the beginning (constant colic), and my mother finally learned I did better with goat's milk. For my entire childhood I instinctively avoided milk products because it always upset me so I was negatively conditioned to avoid milk. I never liked ice cream or cheese much for that reason.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 19:36

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

If eggs don't bother you, maybe you could supplement your protein intake with liquid egg whites or egg white protein powder.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 03:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Actually, for me, while lactose may be a bit of a problem, my issue is the casein in milk more than lactose. Cream and half/half don't affect me when I have them in very small amounts. When I did testing for celiac, I also tested dairy, corn, and a few other things. I was told (one can never be sure this was accurate) that casein might be just as destructive to my system as gluten and the doctor said I should avoid it just like I do gluten. When I was a baby I had terrible problems with dairy right from the beginning (constant colic), and my mother finally learned I did better with goat's milk. For my entire childhood I instinctively avoided milk products because it always upset me so I was negatively conditioned to avoid milk. I never liked ice cream or cheese much for that reason.

If you want to try a high protein approach for weight loss, there is no requirement to include any dairy or protein powders at all. As Calianna suggested, egg white protein is excellent.
Quote:
If you’re intolerant to all types of dairy and want to keep it animal-based, egg protein powders are a great option. They provide a complete array of essential amino acids in relatively balanced quantities. Egg protein is also essentially fat-free. Like whey protein, egg protein is easily absorbed and emulsified into the body. While it might not be as expedient as whey protein isolate, studies have shown that egg whites have the highest protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score (PDCAAS) of any other whole food. This is the measurement of how well food is absorbed into the bloodstream. Many protein powders are notorious for GI distress. However, egg white protein is renowned for being low in FODMAPs—food components are known to cause bloating and GI discomfort in someone with IBS and IBD—and well-tolerated. Egg white protein powders with a ton of additives, though, might not have the same outcome.

If you want to try other dairy alternatives, Goat Milk and A2 milk products have become more common in stores, and both have protein powders now too. Our Trader Joe's has large, reasonable priced goat's milk yogurt, a couple of brands of goat's milk. A2 milk and yogurt is now at Costco https://bellwetherfarms.com/campaign/coscto-a2yogurt/

One of my favorite high protein, low fat sources is shrimp. I keep a bag of it and stir-fry vegetables in the freezer, pour into sauté pan, a hot filling meal in minutes. Many other high protein, lower fat, dairy free choices. Happy to share the infographic food lists with you in my journal.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-22-24 at 16:56.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 03:45

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am an example of someone whose dairy intolerance was caused by my wheat sensitivity. This is now an explored angle to our gut health.

Losing weight and better fitting pants made me realize the low carb wrap I'd brought for lunch -- not a daily thing -- was painlessly bloating my stomach. I had already found cheese on Atkins didn't give me trouble, and I wasn't eating bread anymore.

By avoiding the cracker, I avoided the symptoms I got from cheese and crackers. The doctors always blamed the dairy, back a couple of decades. Now the concept of gluten sensitivity is scientifically accepted.

I never did have a problem with dairy. It was the gluten harming my intestinal lining that developed my problems, not dairy itself.

This probably doesn't apply with people who do better with goat milk, especially a life-long difficulty. But we can also acquire issues -- whether misdiagnosed or missing the forest for the trees -- which will go away.

With better health, I've recast my whole outlook on food. Now each one has to prove itself!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 05:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I was writing about an acquired sensitivity in my other "home" related to my "oral allergy syndrome" or stone fruit /pollen allergy. In my forties or so, I developed a dramatic hive reaction to "stone fruits". I still avoid the obvious stone fruits, but don’t carry an EpiPen, fearful of a tiny bite hidden in something else. The Ebb and Flow of my allergies over 73 years is crazy.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 09:28

BF:

A few decades ago, a friend told me that her mouth would itch when she ate stone fruits. Her doctor told her that it was an insufficient enzyme in her saliva that was causing it, and that if she continued to eat stone fruits, slowly increasing the amount she ate, over time she would have enough of that enzyme again to eat that fruit without her mouth itching.

I thought at the time that it must be an allergy to have the itching mouth develop as soon as she took a bite of the fruit. I don't know if this is the same as the "oral allergy syndrome" or not, or if "insufficient enzymes" was just a go-to diagnosis 30-some years ago if they didn't know what else to call it.

She died almost 2 decades ago, and she had never said anything about it after the initial discussion, so I don't know if she was ever able to eat stone fruits again without the itching or not.

I occasionally will eat some cherries when they're in season and get that itching. I don't eat many of them though, 2 or 3 in a day at the most. After the first few times I eat a couple of them in season, I usually don't get the itching any more. (But never took note of how they affected me otherwise - digestive, increased congestion, etc.) It's confined to my tongue and the roof of my mouth. A quick google tells me that it's related to tree pollen allergies, and I definitely have that. Not only do I get congestion/sneezing/drowning in drainage from tree pollen, I also get a maddeningly itchy soft palate, eyes, and Eustachian tubes (all places that are impossible to scratch) from the tree pollen. I also get the feeling of pin-pricks on my skin when I go out on a high pollen day. The pin-prick feeling on my skin quickly turns to itchy skin. (In addition to antihistamines, I found that using a couple layers of thick moisturizer on every bit of exposed skin helps to block the pollen from my skin to minimize that reaction - I prefer to use minimal antihistamines because I get drowsy so easily even without them)

This year it wasn't nearly as bad as usual - not because the pollen was lower, but there had been a source of some kind of mold in our garage, and apparently that combined with even the early tree pollens was enough to set off the allergic reaction beginning in Feb when the junipers start to produce pollen. It would just keep getting worse all the way through the end of oak season. But this year - after getting rid of the physical source of the mold in the garage, it never even started until Oak season began, and was much more manageable than usual.

I haven't tried eating any cherries this year though - maybe I'll get a few to try and see what happens.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-24, 00:22

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
But this year - after getting rid of the physical source of the mold in the garage, it never even started until Oak season began, and was much more manageable than usual.

There's definitely an "allergen load" issue. As a cat blogger, I covered ways people who were allergic still had pet cats. The strategies ranged from a raw food diet (for the cat) to a HEPA filter in the bedroom. Others trained their cat to put up with baths, which they normally do not need.

These strategies reduced the part they were allergic to. Also, it can happen that they stopped reacting to their own cat.

What this means to me is how we wound up in a gas station convenience store for late breakfast yesterday. Things have been demanding and we'd finally wrapped up some crucial errands. But summer crowds were filling up all the places, and we just wanted to go home. So we stopped for coffee, and decided to each get ONE indulgence with the coffee. He got a chocolate muffin and I got the protein bar with the least bad ingredients, compared to a real candy bar.

Fun in the moment, as usual, but shortly after, we both felt "bothered" by our choices, all the way home. Got home, got to eat real food, the bad feeling went away.

We both felt that we used to feel so poorly the extra obnoxiousness of such "foods" was probably lost in the fog of not feeling that much better when we felt "better." I had the low carb choice, but it was still junk, of course. But for DH, for whom this was once a favorite, it was an amazing contrast that renews our determination to not even be tempted.

So many people are getting symptoms of how poorly they eat, when it comes right down to it. But they don't know that's what it is.

Now that both DH and I have been eating so well for so long, maybe we can detect the way our body is saying -- as my cats often do -- "Excuse me, a mistake has been made. This isn't food."
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-24, 07:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There's definitely an "allergen load" issue. As a cat blogger, I covered ways people who were allergic still had pet cats. The strategies ranged from a raw food diet (for the cat) to a HEPA filter in the bedroom. Others trained their cat to put up with baths, which they normally do not need.

These strategies reduced the part they were allergic to. Also, it can happen that they stopped reacting to their own cat.

I didn't know there was such a term as "allergen load" but that's definitely what has been happening.

I've been using HEPA air purifiers in multiple areas of the house for several years now. They've helped some - not enough to eliminate the allergic reaction completely though.

Handling the filters while cleaning or replacing them results in enough allergens being released into the air to set off a day or two of sneezing and congestion, before the filters manage to filter enough the air to minimize the allergens again.

Still, it's far better than it had been for the last several years.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-24, 09:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The myth that protein turns to chocolate cake has to die.
I like to turn protein into chocolate cake by making a keto lava mug cake with melted butter, cocoa powder & stevia to taste with an egg or two stirred in. You can make it cakier by adding some protein powder and extra eggwhites.

I find it easier to get more protein by using 2-3 different ones in the same meal - eggs with extra liquid eggwhite, add some yogurt, cheeze, leftover meat, poultry or fish. It is not as overwhelming as a huge slab-o-meat or litre of yogurt to get my ~50g of protein for brunch.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Jun-24-24 at 09:20.