Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 12:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/140
BF:
Progress: 114%
Cool Coming to Sydney!

I am returning to Australia this year - a full 20 lbs lighter than I was last time! I started Atkins the day I got home, and I'm now back to my high school weight!

Here in America, I've come to rely on things like Carbolite Bars, Atkins Shakes, and Splenda. When I return to Sydney, am I going to have a problem finding these products? Also, are there any Australian substitutes for these that I should look for? I typically do my shopping at the Cole's store in Sydney - do they carry any low-carber products?

I am VERY much looking forward to the fantastic food in Sydney, but I want to make sure that my stay there does not sabotage the great progress I've made!

Thanks!

Annie (the Yank).

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 18:59

Plan: 0
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

Hello

You will find it alot harder, but if your going to Sydney it will be a little bit easier for you there. Look for GNC health food shops.
Try going to some Australian search engines and do an Australian only search for low carb and see what you get.

Heres some Australian search engines:

http://au.altavista.com/

http://www.goeureka.com.au/standard.php

http://www.webwombat.com.au/
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 19:31

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

low carb bars can be found in most health food stores in sydney. splenda is at coles, not sure bout the atkins shakes may be a GNC or other health stores. Otherwise I think you can get myoplex low carb MRPs from GNC.

welcome home!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 20:45
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thank goodness! I'm really looking forward to January in Sydney - and this year I can wear a bathing suit with much pride! Just passed my 27th birthday, and a look and feel better than ever! As long as I know that there's some low-carb chocolate out there, I know I'll be able to keep up my regimine during the trip and come back to the US with a nice tan and still with a hot bod!

Thanks!

Rebecca
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 21:43

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%
Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by annieo
Thank goodness! I'm really looking forward to January in Sydney - and this year I can wear a bathing suit with much pride! Just passed my 27th birthday, and a look and feel better than ever! As long as I know that there's some low-carb chocolate out there, I know I'll be able to keep up my regimine during the trip and come back to the US with a nice tan and still with a hot bod!

Thanks!

Rebecca

low-carb chocolate??? darell lea girl, oz is king of low-carb chocolate. I see a lot of yanks crying cuz DL aint exporting it to them anymore!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:12
Registered Member

Stats: 250/250/150
BF:
Progress:

GNC are all over Sydney. The prices are WAY different to the States. My sister is in LA and when she tells me what she pays compared to what I pay from GNC, I shudder. If you become a Gold member for $20 per year you get 20% off GNC and 10% off other products.

Atkins or GNC bake mix $35.00. Designer Protein powder $69. Designer Peanut Better bars $6.95 and Atkins bars $4.95.

Carbolite was being sold through a NZ site, but they have gone belly up. Way too expensive for a small company to import these products with the aussie dollar the way it is.

There is also a distributor who has a product very similar to Stevia Plus called Zecal. Stevia and Erythritol. $30 for 250g. BUT TI IS FREE and has NO side effects. Stevia is made from a leaf and Erythritol is similar to sucrolose but is way less in any counts. No digestive probs, safe for children and adults, low GI index.

I do have a friend who is trying to find Erythritol and you can make your own. Splenda is expensive here, but for anything that isn't cooked is great. Zecal makes it perfect for cooking, but still not good for Chocolate. Splenda is the only sweetener for chocolate.

Distributor is Diefco pty Ltd 03 9408 3999--Zecal

Dale
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 00:28
Registered Member

BF:
Default Helpful!

See, this is all very helpful, because now I'll have a better idea of what I can buy there and what I should bring with. I am pretty sure I can stuff enough Splenda packets in my bag to last me, but things like Atkins Shake mix ($20 USD) here it sounds like I can get that at GNC. I will also DEFINATELY pack some Carbolite bars, and maybe even have mom send me some halfway through the trip. If there's one thing I know, it's that CARBOLITE BARS are to credit for a large proportion of my success so far. I mean, when you can have a square of that sinfully rich and creamy chocolate anytime you want, the "dieting" pressure is off!

This can't be a diet! It tastes too good!

Thanks a bunch!

Rebecca (the Yank)
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 02:07
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am pretty sure I can stuff enough Splenda packets in my bag to last me

Hi Rebecca,

As Big Daddy said, Splenda is freely (well, not too expensive ) available here in supermarkets in packets, tablets or "loose."
[And Dale, it can be used for cooking. ]

Enjoy your trip!

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 22:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I do use Splenda for cooking, BUT, and I say but because Zecal is FREE FREE FREE of carbs, fat, fibre, calories and when I look at 24g carb for a cup of Splenda and using Zecal in its place, I know where I want to save grams.

So, I try to use Splenda only when I am making brownies, chocolate nut drops, hot chocolate, or when I am lazy.

Splenda is about $6.80 f;rom Safeway or Woolworths and Coles. I am actually going to mash up some tables, which are half the powdered carb count.

Keep my protein level up and cut the carbs where I can I say

I had a call from GNC last night and they now have Atkins muffin mix and pancake mix -- $20 per pack!!!!! But I admit every once in a while I do love the chocolate almond Atkins bar for $4.25.

They did say they would look into getting the Empower Food products, like cereal, almond bikky mix and chocolate muffin mix. Empower tell me they are releasing more products early next year and are working on a bread mix. Yeah!!

Dale
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 05:53
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Muffin Mix!

Well, if they're getting muffin mix, then my woes might be over. The package of Bannana-Nut mix here is about $7-$8 USD, but it sure does feel decadent to have a piping hot muffin with butter for breakfast!

I've never heard of Zecal before - does it taste as good as Splenda?! If it does, then I can't wait to try it!

Thanks a bunch for all of the great advise. I am feeling much more confident that I'll be able to have a great trip AND keep my new figure!

Thanks!

Rebecca
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 01:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Atkins Friends has a fantastic muffin recipe--Yummy Pumpkin muffin--they have bake mix, ground linseed, almonds, pumpkin, oil and cream plus spices. I make a dozen every week. Sometimes more if I feel like 4 instead of 2. With Splenda they are 2.5g C and 4.5g P. And with a big chunk of butter they are to die for

Splenda is made from a sugar bi product and Zecal is part Stevia. Some people find it a funny taste. But me, coz it is free, I love the fact I can use it on anything except chocolate. It is sort of like SteviaPlus available in the USA.

Welcome
Dale