Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 09:19
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
Well...just an update on hubby's progress. He sure proved me wrong. I think I am going to take it easy on the treadmil for a while and hit the weights harder.

Congrats to DH - and to you too, for seeing the light. Yes, he's lost a lot of inches around the waist - over 10%!!! - but if you do stop the treadmill and hit the weights harder, you are going to be very pleased with your results in a very short time.

One warning, and one suggestion:

Warning: Please do not freak out if you gain a few pounds within a few weeks of serious weight training. It's NOT fat, it's water your muscles and other tissues need to help repair themselves. And it's also blood volume, because as your muscles grow more dense they require a lot more fuel (good news: that will be stored body fat!), and new blood vessels will grow around the muscle to deliver that fuel. You may add a few pounds, but I guarantee you will lose inches and look (and be) a lot slimmer.

Suggestion: If you haven't already, check out Slow Burn from the library and come and join our discussions in the Advanced/High Intensity and Buddies, Challenges section. Let us know how you're doing.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 13:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 425/252/199 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have to disagree from personal expereince. About 10 or so years ago I went from 315 to 195 in one summer doing atkins and riding a bike. I did ride a lot, but 10 years later it is back and then some.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 14:59
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
Well...just an update on hubby's progress. He sure proved me wrong, I am a little embarrassed

He has not done any cardio since I first started this thread, but he has been lifting on a daily basis now (we lift together at night now). Anyway, I saw him drilling some new holes in his belts, so we re-measured his belly and he is now 47". That is amazing, he went from 53" to 47"!!!!!!!! That is crazy! He hasn't lost anymore weight on the scale, but who cares. He's glad now that I had measured him in the first place, he was getting a little discouraged from the scale, but the tape measure does not lie.

I think I am going to take it easy on the treadmil for a while and hit the weights harder.

I just noticed this post - and just wanted to say 'thank you' for posting this update. I'm *brand new* to weight training, and hearing these things are helpful and motivating

Wow - that's quite a difference in belly inches - I bet he's thrilled about this, as you must be too. Excellent!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 15:05

Plan: VLC + IF
Stats: 400/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Congrats to DH - and to you too, for seeing the light. Yes, he's lost a lot of inches around the waist - over 10%!!! - but if you do stop the treadmill and hit the weights harder, you are going to be very pleased with your results in a very short time.

One warning, and one suggestion:

Warning: Please do not freak out if you gain a few pounds within a few weeks of serious weight training. It's NOT fat, it's water your muscles and other tissues need to help repair themselves. And it's also blood volume, because as your muscles grow more dense they require a lot more fuel (good news: that will be stored body fat!), and new blood vessels will grow around the muscle to deliver that fuel. You may add a few pounds, but I guarantee you will lose inches and look (and be) a lot slimmer.

Suggestion: If you haven't already, check out Slow Burn from the library and come and join our discussions in the Advanced/High Intensity and Buddies, Challenges section. Let us know how you're doing.

Lisa

Great Explanation, perhaps this is why i have seen a weight gain in the past couple of days. I have been working out pretty hard this past week. Hard enough that my arms, legs and abs are all sore lol. I haven't being using the bathroom very much (#1 nor #2) But to be honest i noticed that im going to have to put another hole in my belt! Not to mention my girlfriend looked at me in the mall yesterday and said wow you look so much slimmer
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 20:30

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 342/270/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Maybe a little off track here, but I get bored to death on the treadmill. I do better outside in the spring on through fall. Last time I lost weight (before lc) I walked about 45 minutes a day after my weight training.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 21:35

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbug2
Walking is great...just a thought however...you were also getting sunlight on those walks? Extra vitamin D, could have jump started your weight loss, not necessarily the cardio.

I've been wondering about this today (it was sunny and warm, woo hoo). I don't drive and walk everywhere so I'm outside a lot more than your average person and running makes me gain. I wonder if the people who lose weight when they start running or walking outside are really benefitting from the Vitamin D.