Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 16:42

Plan: Primal
Stats: 238/165/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Question about Questran... (IBS sufferers??)

I have been on the Atkins WOE since March of 2007. I have lost 80+ lbs and am just a few pounds from my goal.

I have IBS and have been prescribed Questran. (I have had it but its gotten worse over the past few months) (I do not have a gallbladder either) It has 3.79 grams of sucrose. How would count this in your carb count... 3.79? I really don't know. My doctor said I should only have to take it maybe once a week and to adjust it to my needs. I don't want to take it at all though...

Anyone ever been on this? I am concerned it will mess with my diet.

I have dug up old posts but it doesn't answer my question I know there is a Questran light but my doctor said that aspartame can aggravate IBS.

Anyone have any info? I am willing to try alternatives too. My doctor said to try Benefiber too.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 16:58

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Have you tried acidolfilus supplements? Seriously, if your intestinal flora is unbalanced for whatever reason, the result is IBS.

Next - have you introduced some flaxseed meal into your lowcarb diet? I like to Golden flaxseed on Amazon.com. You can make delicious "nothing but fiber" muffins in the microwave with this plus an egg, baking powder, and whatever ingredients you desire (cinnamon, splenda, butter) in one minute and 20 seconds.

Finally, are you taking flax oil supplements?

I also had IBS but I had the IBS with constipation more than anything else. I was on Zelnorm for many years until they took it off the market. Acidoliphilus cured my problem. I went to GNC and bought their whole "dietary enzyme program" for about three months. It worked, and then I went on to just acidoliphilus and flax oil supplementation.

Psyllium is what many recommend but I always got too BLOATED from that.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 17:00

BF:

OH YES - your weight loss is SOOOO impressive!!!! WOW!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 17:05

BF:

Thank YOU!!!! I am scared to take Flax seed because it has given me diarrhea.

I will try the acidophilis.

My doctor thinks its "bile salts" diarrhea.

I am not very familiar with IBS. I have been reading on it since my visit to the doctor. I do have IBS with the alternating constipation. I will not go for like 4-5 days and then can't stop going for days. Its usually after I eat, maybe an hour later. I get crampy, spasm type pains (not BAD pain though) and just have sudden urgency to go. SORRY TMI!! Its been worse for the past 2 months because my stress level has been high.

You say you 'had' IBS... thats awesome. I am hoping I can say the same later!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 17:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
OH YES - your weight loss is SOOOO impressive!!!! WOW!!!

Thank you!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 17:36

BF:

This is the one I think I tried....there are others though and I'd talk to someone at the GNC. Just don't let them "over-sell" you.

Natural Brand™ Super Acidophilus 360817
100 Vegetarian Tablets

Regular Price: $39.99

35% More Probiotics Than Yogurt**

GNC's Best Probiotic
10 Billion CFU plus a prebiotic blend
Promotes healthy digestion and natural resistance*
With patent-pending BIO-tract® delivery technology

Probiotics help to promote healthy digestion, support natural resistance and replenish beneficial healthy bacteria that may be depleted as a result of poor diet, taking certain antibiotics, food poisoning, travelers diarrhea or poor overall digestive health.* Natural Brand™ Super Acidophilus combines a probiotic complex with fructooligosaccharides (FOS) and inulin, prebiotics that also promote intestinal health.* FOS helps acidophilus flourish in the intestines and maintain a healthy balance of intestinal flora.* Inulin provides support for a healthy digestive system by promoting the growth of the bifidobacteria probiotic.*

GNC Natural Brand Super Acidophilus also features BIO-tract®, a patent-pending, delivery technology designed to protect the probiotics from stomach acids and deliver live organisms to the intestine where they promote health. This high-quality vegetarian formula is manufactured using the LiveBac® tableting process. This time-tested process minimizes the detrimental effects of heat and moisture throughout the production and finishing process. As a result, Natural Brand Super Acidophilus has an increased shelf life.
GNC QUALITY COMMITMENT

GNC is the leader in the development and manufacture of dietary supplements, committed to producing the highest quality products available. This commitment begins with quality designed supplement formulations. Every raw material that goes into a GNC supplement is guaranteed as to quality and potency. Each product is dated and then shipped immediately to our stores, so you can be sure you are purchasing the freshest supplements available. At GNC, we extend our quality commitment to you by offering our money-back guarantee.
(CFU = Colony Forming Units)
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 20:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My IBS is food related. I cut out gluten and the crampy, diarrhea went away but it took cutting out dairy to get rid of the constipation. I used to alternate between the two.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 03:07

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Like Nancy, my gastro problems are food-related. For me, wheat/gluten, corn, oats, mold, yeast, and many herbs cause major problems. You very well could have food allergies or intolerances.

eta: Medications also add to my gastro problems.

Last edited by JudyJudy : Fri, Jan-16-09 at 03:32.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 10:55

BF:

Thank you everyone... I really would like to manage this through diet. You all have given me some great ideas to start with!!

I haven't taken the Questran yet... I am going to hold off.

Thanks again!