Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 21:01

Plan: SB
Stats: 166/166/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie!!

Hi everyone!

I've been reading through this forum for a couple of days now (a little nervous to start posting). But I'm starting my SB diet in two days, and I just wanted to introduce myself! I'm very excited (and a little nervous) to give this diet a try, it seems like something I can stick to and learn from. I really want to do this right, so any advice or tips are more than welcome!!! Good luck to all of you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 22:30

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Hiya and welcome to the beach! I am just kinda starting out myself although I did atkins since August 1st of last year. Rhubarb posted an excellent and clear cut guide under the post Eating guildlines for south beach diet. I would have a look at it. I know I found it really helpful. Also I have found http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm to be a very helpful website. Everyone seems really friendly and willing to help here on the boards as well. I wish you the best of luck!!

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 22:31

Plan: A4L
Stats: 147/138/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Welcome Coach!

I wish you every success on your South Beach journey.
Although, like any other plan, SB takes some effort, it's relatively painless compared to others I've tried. The weight isn't coming off real fast but it's coming off steady.

I don't have any tips other than to keep some ricotta creme handy for whenever the sweets cravings hit. It's a very satisfying treat and perfectly legal on all phases of SBD. There are several variations of the recipe in the SB book.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 06:56

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

Welcome Coach...

I'm on day 98 on the beach and have lost 34lbs...it does work and is really painless after you get past Phase I. Good Luck!

Just a few tips from the peanut gallery...

1. Stick to Phase I as close as you can without cheating...from my experience the weight loss will give you confidence to continue and helps to wean you from the bad carbs and fats you've been used to eating. I stayed on Phase I for 3 weeks.

2. When you move to Phase II be very careful about how you add good carb items back in. Add one item at a time back in and gauge it's affect on your weight loss and how it affects your craving...you can over do it by eating to much of a good thing. Moderation is my rule.

3. Watch your portions...while SBD isn't about counting calories and carbs you do want to control your portions...when I was in Phase I, I started the practice of eating until I was satisfied...not full...

4. If you cheat or have a night or weekend where you've gone off the beach...don't panic...just get back on as soon as you can...I move back to Phase I for a couple of days every other week(or so it seems)...helps me get back on track after eating badly when we've had company or some other special occaision.

5. Start a journal today...tracking your progress will really help you keep your head in the game. Also, it's a great way to meet some of the nice people who post on this forum.

6. Drink lots-O-water.

7. Remember that we are all different...what works for one may not work for another...after moving to Phase II some can have whole wheat bread every day, some can only have it a couple of times a week...fruit is the item the makes my weight loss slow...others seem to be able to have fruit every day...SBD is all about finding what works for you to lose weight in the short term and to find a WOE that you can use for the rest of your life.

8. And finally...SBD is a very healthy way to eat even if your weight loss slows at times...it is a healthy WOE even if you didn't have any weight to lose.

Once again Good Luck and Welcome to the Beach.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: SBD & BFL
Stats: 166/160/140 Female 5ft 3ins
BF:33/32/20
Progress: 23%

Hi
I'm also new to this board and to this plan. I just started this week so I'm pleased I looked in here. That is good advice. I will start a journal soon too.

Mel
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 12:26

Plan: SB
Stats: 166/166/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you so much for all of the great advice! I intend to start a journal as soon as I can, and all of the other tips were useful! Thanks again!