Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 09:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff
So let's please distinguish between mere unprocessed carbs (which I agree doesn't mean much in most cases) and true low glycemic load carbs. And of course too much fructose is bad, in spite if it's low glycemic load.

I would make the distinction. It could make my life more enjoyable even. But I can't overlook the effect of glucose no matter what. It does what it does and does so in any quantity above normal. And what it does isn't nice to me. Not that I'm diabetic or anything like that but after having read a lot about what glucose (and other sugars) does, I consider it a toxic substance of which my blood should contain the least amount possible at any time. I don't even consider it a nutrient. If it was a nutrient, it would nourish us. Instead, it causes all sorts of undesirable conditions.

From that perspective, I can only consider the absolute quantity of glucose, or any sugar for that matter, that I ingest no matter what other nutrient it comes with.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 09:49
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

One thing suggested earlier in the thread is that "most" people remain healthy on a high processed carb diet.

You know, given 300+ million people for a statistic, this might average out to accurate. But we know already that genetics have a great deal to do with things. Dr. Jeffrey Friedman, head of the Laboratory of Molecular Genetics at Rockefeller University, once said in an interview:
Quote:
It turns out that that weight increase isn’t uniform across the population, and there’s actually really good epidemiologic evidence to suggest that. I think that a lot of the weight gain is concentrated in specific ethnic groups.

...I think that what we’re seeing now is ethnic groups that are predisposed to obesity are now getting access to unlimited calories. And I think that has a lot to do with that weight increase. And there’s some evidence to support that but it’s not definitive. Actually a lot of the epidemiologic data that you would really want to understand things like this is lacking.

...it turns out actually that these really obese kids are concentrated in particular ethnic groups and the gene pools are different in different ethnic groups.

I mention this to sort of accompany the following personal observation:

Of the ~25 people in my semi-immediate family; and of the ~25 people I know best; I believe only two are genuinely healthy, by which I mean, "free of any presenting disease and/or combined-symptom-group". This would be my cousin TJ and his wife; both were 'natural' bodybuilders until fairly recently (when they quit competing); both eat low-carb and nutrient-rich and both are fairly young (mid-late 20s).

It has been one of the most astounding things to me personally, that the sheer enormity of the % of the people I know are not healthy. My parents and I once had this discussion and it expanded to many other family members at a gathering. They were all basically insisting that by the time you hit your 30s it was perfectly normal for 'something to go wrong' because of age and to need surgery or treatment/ medication for one thing or another.

I was aghast, and insisting this was completely wrong and ridiculous. And yet at 42 I was the only person in the house of a couple dozen that was not missing an internal body part; I was the only person that was not on chronic medication for something; I was the only person without multiple chronic symptom-complaints (such as odd rashes, back problems, chronic headaches); etc. Now, since I also, unfortunately, was by far the fattest person in the room, and quite obviously had my own 'disease' of 'obesity' (or its underlying causes), I was a fine one to talk (as this hit in my early-mid 20s).

I have often sat in the car at the local super-walmart for a short time, waiting for someone who just ran in real quick that I drove there, and watching people come in and out, sometimes choosing a cut-off age to not go above/below for the casual count. I have counted in my head, just as a quick glance, the number of people who seem obese vs. morbidly obese vs. normal vs. overly-skinny. The numbers are the kind of thing that back in California where I grew up, I would not have believed. I mean really, I would not have believed it. In my home culture where surfing and sailing and skating and biking are extremely common, where shorts and tans are the norm much of the year, I wouldn't have seen more than a tiny fraction of this. Then again, consider the social issues; when I got fat in CA, I didn't even want to leave the house. It was a huge thing, no pun intended, to be that fat in that environment. Here, it is not such a huge thing; fat people are everywhere. And I don't just mean overweight, I mean REALLY FAT.

Now I'm not sure why this is. But in a small city where there is almost nothing for this and the outlying areas but that one store -- so nearly everybody goes through there -- a fairly random sampling of population strolling by shows the vast, vast majority as overweight, a shocking percentage of those morbidly obese, and most the remainder overly skinny--by which I mean, the "skin and bones" kind that tells you that person is genetically skinny and they are probably going to BE skinny until they fall over dead of something else. The number of "normal sized" people was so low each time I've done this out of curiosity that it actually kind of upset me; it just made me feel like, "Something is so, so profoundly wrong here."

But the base of the population here is Irish and Native American. As opposed to home in CA where there was a very big mix of racial backgrounds. I'm an estimated 14 nationalities including those so I'm too big a mutt to figure out, but I think those two are high majority here. So it's possible that the 'combination' of
* available and affordable fresh produce
* varying genetic mix of the population
* stronger cultural bias against being fat, which might mean more likelihood fat people avoid public places
could be some of the factors related to my home town (Ojai, CA, or 'ventura county') seeming, as a casual personal observation, a lot "less fat" than here in NE Oklahoma.

I can't agree with the idea that "most people are healthy on a high processed carbs diet." Research is starting to show that even many children have indicators of heart disease and growing insulin resistance, and the thing is, just because someone has "not yet keeled over" of something does not make them healthy by any means, it just makes their disease state or symptoms not easily observable without careful questioning and testing. So I think it is a very big and dangerous 'assumption' that 'most people are healthy on a high processed carb diet'. I think even in a group of people of mostly normal size and seemingly decent health, there may be a whole variety of physical ailments that for truly healthy people would not exist; and likely lots of "silent" symptoms of "something to come".

By far the majority of people I know are battling a variety of things. I am the only woman over 30 in my family (the majority of the members local are women over 30) not on thyroid medication. (And maybe I should be, but I'm offended at the idea of medication [a little Type-A, am I] and hoping to find a way to improve my health AND that possible issue through natural means.) And some are alcoholics (I consider this a disease), some are on depression medication, the list goes on. The fact that my only 'presenting' issue, when on lowcarb, is that I'm ridiculously fat (though this is gradually reducing), is kind of amazing.

In fact my whole family made it clear to me that the fact that I had not "yet" had cancer, gallbladder problems, heart disease, or some other issue, especially given [a] my weight, and [b] that my mom died at 37 (when I was 9) of lung&brain cancer, was pretty much astronomically improbable, and likely indicated one of these would be falling on me out of the sky Any Minute Now, which simply made me laugh at them (in the hopes no part of my subconscious took that seriously).

Perhaps in other parts of the world than the tiny group of my family, people eat high-carb for the long term and are just perfectly healthy with it. Perhaps in other cultural/racial groupings than my small town in Oklahoma, people eat high-carb for the long term and are not dominantly obese to morbidly obese from it. But in my environment, it is perfectly obvious that a high processed carb diet is hurting the majority, if not the vast majority, of the people I know.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 10:01

BF:

Quote:
Yes the nutrient mix of a given food has a lot to do with the "quality" of that food. But so does how the food is processed. Puffed grains and quick rise breads are high glycemic load food partially due to the fact that such "expanded" grains presents a larger surface area for digestive enzymes to work upon.

Overcooked pasta has a higher glycemic load than al-dente pasta because over cooked pasta digests at a quicker rate than slightly undercooked pasta.

Not that I recommend pasta in large quantities, but just trying to show that it's a bit more complex than the nutrient profile of a given food.

That could be. After all, the whole point of processing or cooking food is to make the nutrients it contains more available to digestion or more easily digested. That's good right? But a processed carbohydrate will produce a more acute glucose response than an unprocessed carbohydrate of the same source. Which is not good. On the flip side, processing food will remove nutrients that would otherwise make this food nutritious. Which is not good either. That's two bads for one good.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 10:03

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
If that's what you read then your confusion is natural.

Of course, switching the target from "processed" to "high glycemic load" and back is part of the reason your testing will be a while in coming. I like to call it the "infinite regression problem". Every time someone meets your criteria, you bump your criteria a little further and say, "but you ate brown rice" even though I actually said Wild rice, and even though the quantity was fairly small compared to the rest of the carb load. Using this process you can keep fine tuning what you "really" meant until no one can meet your standard, then you can cross your arms, throw out your chest and state with authority, "I win".

Well, here, "You win". Let's celebrate.

If you go back through this thread, you will see that I made the distinction between "unprocessed" and low glycemic load very early on. I could care less about winning arguments or chest beating. I only seek the truth. My ego is not tied up in what constitutes the ultimate dietary protocol. I just think it's a bit more complicated than "low carb diets beat all other diets."

Now I could be wrong. Perhaps flat out low carbing is indeed better than a low glucose load approach. Then so be it. But I have yet to see any compelling proof of that.

And btw, a low glycemic load diet is a somewhat low carb diet by definition.

- Low glycemic index = Focus on carb quality
- Low carb diet = Focus on carb quantity
- Low glycemic load = Focus on BOTH quality and quantity

What's so illogical about that. What science refutes that?

If there is some, please enlighten me.

I will be all too happy to be proven wrong, since a simple LC approach is quite a bit simpler than glycemic load. And I love simple solutions.
  #110   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 10:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
That could be. After all, the whole point of processing or cooking food is to make the nutrients it contains more available to digestion or more easily digested. That's good right? But a processed carbohydrate will produce a more acute glucose response than an unprocessed carbohydrate of the same source. Which is not good. On the flip side, processing food will remove nutrients that would otherwise make this food nutritious. Which is not good either. That's two bads for one good.

Some processing is actually good. Soaking grains in an acidic mixture neutralizes certain anti-nutrients in grains like phytates, etc. So we could actually make the argument that a diet heavy in PROPERLY processed grains is healthier than a diet of less processed grains. There is a theory that the reason so many people have become intolerant to grains (gluten) is due to improper processing techniques. There are those who are gluten sensitive that can actually eat sprouted grain breads for instance.
  #111   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 10:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I would make the distinction. It could make my life more enjoyable even. But I can't overlook the effect of glucose no matter what. It does what it does and does so in any quantity above normal. And what it does isn't nice to me. Not that I'm diabetic or anything like that but after having read a lot about what glucose (and other sugars) does, I consider it a toxic substance of which my blood should contain the least amount possible at any time. I don't even consider it a nutrient. If it was a nutrient, it would nourish us. Instead, it causes all sorts of undesirable conditions.

From that perspective, I can only consider the absolute quantity of glucose, or any sugar for that matter, that I ingest no matter what other nutrient it comes with.

If glucose is an absolute toxin, then why does the human body have the ability to produce glucose (For the brain) from protein via gluconeogenesis? Doesn't the human body know it shouldn't produce toxic substances?
  #112   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 10:19
Every moment is NOW.

Actually, to prevent the neck soreness that your guys's tennis match here is providing to onlookers, maybe you could define something for me just to help me out:

"Quality" carbohydrates are apparently the primary point here. Can you define what qualifies as a "quality" carbohydrate?

Low GI Load is an imperfect example because that is not about the carb as much as it is about the carb "in context with everything else you are eating".

Low GI Index is apparently not the only point either given comments earlier and comments on 'quality' like nutrients which do not affect the GI.

When the debate gets into things like "wild rice vs. brown rice" I'm more than a little lost; what specifically is the difference aside from a little more fiber in one of them?

Seems to me that high fiber like in a whole grain means the % of the rest of the food has less carbs. But fiber just washes out of the body. So fiber isn't good at all, it's inert, except for any minerals it takes with it being a bad thing. It means fewer carbs in a given food than it'd have otherwise, but that just means the food is less-problematic; that doesn't make fiber (or the food) good, just because it's "less-bad than something else". Why are 'whole grains' healthier aside from carb content than processed grains? A few vitamins or minerals that the fiber probably carries some % of out of the body with it anyway?

So if that (fiber) isn't the measure of difference between two similar foods (brown rice vs. wild rice), then what do we have left -- nutrients? OK, then can you give an example of how much 'nutrition' something would need to have in order to 'offset' their carb-quantity to make them healthy by your standards?

I just don't really grok your definition-set. It seems slightly arbitrary to me. It seems like you're saying, "Good carbs might be ok," but (a) carbs do still cause certain effects regardless of whether they have some nutritional seal of approval going on for the rest of their profile, and (b) at what point of measure would one qualify a given food as healthy enough to be worth the trade-off in blood glucose?

PJ
  #113   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 10:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
If glucose is an absolute toxin, then why does the human body have the ability to produce glucose (For the brain) from protein via gluconeogenesis? Doesn't the human body know it shouldn't produce toxic substances?

Glucose is a toxin when consumed at toxic levels. How much of this toxin does the body need in order for glucose to be considerd toxic? Less than a teaspoon.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...onful-of-sugar/
  #114   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 11:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I just don't really grok your definition-set. It seems slightly arbitrary to me. It seems like you're saying, "Good carbs might be ok," but (a) carbs do still cause certain effects regardless of whether they have some nutritional seal of approval going on for the rest of their profile, and (b) at what point of measure would one qualify a given food as healthy enough to be worth the trade-off in blood glucose?

That's what I think too. It's akin to injecting one's self with the antidote and the poison in the same syringe simultaneously.
  #115   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 22:05

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
It seems like you're saying, "Good carbs might be ok," but (a) carbs do still cause certain effects regardless of whether they have some nutritional seal of approval going on for the rest of their profile, and (b) at what point of measure would one qualify a given food as healthy enough to be worth the trade-off in blood glucose?

i think this is where the context of the carb truly comes into play.

take flax seed. just about all of its carb content is fiber, which as you said does wash out of the body but also helps elimination in the process. it's a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, as are spinach, walnuts, and oily fish like salmon or trout. i've discovered that ground flax seed makes an excellent cheesecake crust without the allergies/intolerances that nuts tend to trigger but yet works just as well in the baking process.

as far as i'm concerned, for the sake of my own body, a quality carbohydrate is defined as one that's chemically inert with regard to insulin response, and carries with it other beneficial nutrients like antioxidants... things that nature figured out how to produce in sufficient quantities and man has tried to reproduce by pharmaceutical means, but still manages to fall short.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 22:15
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
take flax seed. just about all of its carb content is fiber, which as you said does wash out of the body but also helps elimination in the process.

Elimination of minerals. But yeah, it helps with that other elimination too...

I wrote a whole Ode to Flax here, once:
http://thedivinelowcarb.blogspot.co...fairy-tale.html

Flax is cool.
  #117   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 08:43

Plan: Minimal Crap (Atkinsish)
Stats: 170/137/140 Female Five feet, three inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

I realized fairly early on that pooh-poohing or outright ignoring success stories on diets other than my own (EG, vegan diets) would be pretty stupid. After all, if I was succeeding on something that was considered a little off-the-wall, why shouldn't they? The human body is not built to a factory specification for our gastronomic convenience. You have to do what works for you.
  #118   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 12:32

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
With all due respect, I believe D'Adamo has been soundly debunked. I consider his work quackery.

More on his book....
http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/eat_right.html

And with all due respect to you, I hate it when people just blindly bash things and people by listening to other people's so called findings, and don't research for themselves to find answers. Have you actually read Dr. D'Adamo's science? Don't knock it till you've tried it.. BTW, do you even know your blood type?

The first surgeon in the 1800's that thought it might be a good idea to wash their hands before operating as a way to stop infection..was kicked out of the AMA and had his license revoked...

Also, Dr. D did respond to that "review"of his book..
Here is the link. Reponses to critics...#3, scroll half way down the page. Warning, you may feel differently after reading this..
http://www.dadamo.com/critic.htm

Last edited by Mayflowers : Tue, May-27-08 at 13:20.