Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 10:06

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Plus, my co-workers have watched me drop 100 pounds since the start of the year, so they know I'm serious about my food plan (not they understand what it is...the same people ask me over and over what I'm doing... somehow, they just can't grasp "don't eat grains, starches, sugar" ....lol) so they don't push.

Wow! 100lbs in less than a year. What an inspiration you are.
The same people asking over and over again what I'm doing amazes me too. What is so hard to grasp about no sugar no starches? Just this morning, I've had to explain yet again to the same people that, no thank you, I don't want potatoes with my breakfast because of the starch. I just explained about the potatoes at dinner with them a few hours ago for heaven's sake! They are adorable and kind, but WHY is this simple concept so difficult to grasp?!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 10:07

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I counted my carbs to be appx 41, so all in all, it was a good day, although my ketone sticks tell me a different story. BFs father did get pushy with food, a little bit unexpected.

Dinner was over, and everyone was getting ready to leave. BFs grandmother said for x-mas we were all going to get together and order pizza. I told her that would be great, I can't eat the grain in the crust so I will make and bring my own. She thought that was silly and wanted me to eat what they were buying. I told her again that I don't eat grains. Then BFs father jumped in and said for one day I can eat the pizza and be happy. I told him that if I did, it would be hard to get back on track. He mentioned a week ago that I ate pizza from Caseys, I said "yes I did, but I'm finally back on track and doing my best to stay eating this way." Finally BF jumped in and told everyone that in his opinion, my pizza was better than Caseys pizza any day of the week. His grandma said something about all the work that goes into making it. I told her that its easy to make and Its absolutly no problem for me to make some for myself.

Thankfully they left and we lounged on the couch the rest of the night and watched Charlie Brown.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 10:11

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

ugh re: pizza pushing; pizza is the only thing that is tough to navigate normally on this WOE, I find! I've just started saying "great, make sure you order my greek salad with chicken/whatever!"
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 11:35

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by calee
You're so right. I tried to use my most tactful self and asked them to please help me if possible. I have a god feeling about it. I figure I'll visualize what I want and hope for the best!

As you progress along, those treats are going to look less and less appetizing. Freshly baked bread will always smell amazing to me, but what keeps me away from it is the flashbacks from acid shooting up into my throat after eating "just one bite."

So what I'm trying to say is, if you stick with it then not only will the cravings subside (maybe not ever go away completely, we all have our days), but you might also, like me, get flashbacks of how bad you feel after just one carbohydrate meal or snack. Even after just one bite!
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 12:08

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
What is so hard to grasp about no sugar no starches? Just this morning, I've had to explain yet again to the same people that, no thank you, I don't want potatoes with my breakfast because of the starch. I just explained about the potatoes at dinner with them a few hours ago for heaven's sake!
I recently had a similar experience when ordering a meal without mashed potatoes, saying "I don't eat potatoes". I was surprised when she said "would you prefer chips instead (fries)?"

#66   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 13:13

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Perhaps she figured you didn't like the mashed part of the potatoe but you would still eat the chips? Its possible, they have the same questions and answers driled into the servers heads that it just automaticly pops out.

I don't find servers at resturants to be pushy, just doing their jobs and some think were a little nutty. Some don't seem to use commen sence but if they want that tip, they better get their brain to play catch up!

At Hardees I recall telling a young girl that I wanted just 2 grilled chicken patties. I had to explain exactly what I wanted and she got the manager to show her how to put it into the system. The manager recongnised me and explained it all to her. Now, when I see the young girl, she tells me that she remembers me, and gets it right every time. She desurves a tip!
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 14:35

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

I did well - granted I wasn't with anyone and just made myself dinner - my problem would have been wine or some kind of drink (Skinny Girl Margaritas were half off and I planned to use them as part of Xmas gifts- but they call to me LOL). I made a completely LC T-day dinner, and ate too much of it (not used to eating that much at one sitting) - so I was way too full and uncomfortable in that way. I was surprised I didn't have a glass of wine - but I kept remembering all the issues I have when I spike my insulin after eating LC food. My body just doesn't handle it well at all.
I'm glad to hear everyone did well
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: customized plan
Stats: 212/126/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleZu
You hit the nail on the head with that one, Keith- my sister-in-law is vegan and no one pesters her to try anything with meat. They all understandingly coo to each other "Oh, she's vegan, she doesn't eat meat." LOL

I really don't understand it.

That's hilarious about the vegan comments and so true! Why is it that vegans are so revered? So respected? Some of the most unhealthy people are vegans who stuff themselves with processed grains and junk food. Yet they are seen as so virtuous? pious? next to God? for not eating protein? LOL amazing.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 14:42

BF:

I work with a vegetarian who calls roast beef 'roast beast'. She's a very likeable person, actually, but the way she looks at my lunch plate (always lots of meat or fish with green veg) makes me cringe. On the other hand, she eats carbs all day long: muffins, oatmeal, candy, cookies and nobody bats an eye! She's also petite and slim, so far, but she's young.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 14:49

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
I work with a vegetarian who calls roast beef 'roast beast'.

I will often call any roast meat "roast beast" but it's said fondly, in anticipation of eating it. And the "roast beast" from How the Grinch Stole Christmas always comes to mind as well.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia-b
I will often call any roast meat "roast beast" but it's said fondly, in anticipation of eating it. And the "roast beast" from How the Grinch Stole Christmas always comes to mind as well.

Love it!

#72   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 11:02

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I guess this will be topical all the way until New Year's, after which Valentines Day will take over. Haha. Anyway, some answers occurred to me last night, that are useful for when someone just insists that only a small taste 'won't hurt you'.

"You'd be surprised at how little it takes to spike my insulin." I think they would be put off with this one since everyone knows to associate diabetes with insulin, it's like saying you have diabetes without lying. It may not matter when you're dealing with co-workers but lots of families are familiar enough with each others' lives that they know who is diabetic and who isn't.
"As I've worked to lose weight, I find that even little nibbles cause cravings and I just don't want to deal with the misery." People seem to understand that.
"It does look good but I've found out that losing weight doesn't stop and start as we eat. It's an ongoing chemical process that gets de-railed if I go off plan so I've already scoped out the buffet and found what will keep it coming off and what will interrupt the process".
People just naturally want to share pleasure, and only the really mean ones will refuse to be put off. If you actually tie into a rare case of someone just being mean, then you can jokingly say they're going to be the ruin of your will power and just walk away. Regular people might even start thinking about your comments regarding cravings and weight loss being a process that is easily de-railed and put it to use in their own weight battles, no matter what plan they are trying out.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 12:02

BF:

Great ideas, CallMeAnn. I particularly like the first one and will use it. You're right, it leaves an impression of diabetes without actually lying. Nobody I know will listen to me long enough to use the third one, sigh.

FYI, walked into the breakroom this morning and found.......tangerines! Fruit is unheard of around here unless it comes peeled, sugared, or swimming in syrup.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 16:38

Progress: 54%

Awww... the lc fairly heard your need.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 16:43