Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 03:57
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Ok, let me tell you my story with LC in general.

Firstly, I agree that doing a plan for a week isn't really long enough to asses if it works or not for you, but I can also relate to your frustration...

I wasn't losing on Atkins after the initial 6 months, I lost 40lbs really quickly and then nothing for months....not just 4 weeks but more like 4 or 5 months. I was obviously very frustrated and when I did lose weight I was on this eternal up and down thing with the scale and it was, quite frankly, doing my head in.

So I changed over to South Beach. I figured what the hey, I wasn't losing weight, so if I changed plans and didn't lose I wasn't really in a worse position. I lost 4lbs in the first week and then averagely 2lbs every week ever since. I swapped over about 6 months ago and have lost another almost 40lbs with South Beach after a 5 month stall of not losing anything.

I also eat far more than I ever did while on Atkins. I eat at least 5 times a day and can have fruit and tons of veggies. If you're starving yourself and not losing weight, then maybe you need to do something other than atkins!

I think while my advice was to wait it out....I do think you SHOULD wait for a while longer, but if you are doing everything right, the scale or tape just isn't budging, and this happens for the next 3 or 4 weeks, then you maybe should consider changing to another plan.

Just my 10c's worth.
xx
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 07:22

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

Some people are just different. Stick it out for a bit longer then try something else. I lost weight on a BFL-style plan which is considerably higher carb and have kept it off over a year now. However, I get energized by carbs and feel terrific. My husband on the other hand eats a cookie and goes into a coma (sleepy, sluggish, etc). He does MUCH better on low carb when he remembers to follow it.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 08:57

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am sorry to say it but I am through with low carb. I tried it many times, not just this once, and everytime it just makes me feel yucky. I have been doing the zone for a week now and i already see and feel improvement. I havent lost much weight (~1 lb) but it is better than nothing and it is also TOM so I am not stressing about my loss being slow. I just think my body can and does do well on higher carb in the form of fruits and veggies, and also doesnt do well on too much protein and fat. The more I see people struggle on this forum with low carb and conversly i see people immediately losing weight and feeling better, the more i am convinced that there are different types of people who tolerate a lot of carbs and just need portion control and people who really dont do well on carbs so need to limit their intake. There is no one right way to eat that will be healthy for everyone, people are not all the same internally, some people have longer intestines and are healthier if they eat more vegetation, others need more condensed nutrients in the form of meat. I beleive I am in the former group.
Thanks,
Aimee
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 22:25
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

The nausea scares me. You've probably read about it in NeanderThin, but here's another link about what could be causing the nausea: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

I was considering the Zone myself, because "PaleoZone" was sort of hip in the late 90's. However, I think I'll stick with the 12/21/67 ratio of carbs/proteins/fats in order to get enough carnitine to keep my brain healthy. Like you say, our heritage plays a big role.

You might also want to try a 2000+ calorie version of the Induction phase, although I've never bothered to "induce" ketosis. I've been averaging 93 grams of carbohydrates (83 net) and still loosing 14 ounces per week. Yeah, I know it would probably be faster with less carbohydrates. I'm working on it, honest. I need a new pair of pants, and Target only goes up to 46" waistlines. It's either them or a more expensive big-men's store until January.