Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/149/120 Female 5 feet 2 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Do you think LC'ing cures Hypothyroidism

Just a question I'm throwing out there. I've been hypo for about 10 years, on medication. Sure would be nice if one day I found I didn't have to take it anymore.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 18:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well... possibly. About 1/3 of the people that go gluten free seem to have recoveries from their thyroid conditions, or so I heard. If you give up gluten it is possible that your autoimmune condition will go into remission.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 19:02
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Going very low carb made my hypothyroidism worse. However, it doesn't seem to do this to everyone.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 23:12
Carolina Girl

Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
Going very low carb made my hypothyroidism worse. However, it doesn't seem to do this to everyone.

Same here. I find that I do best around 40 carbs or so. Too low and I start getting pretty sluggish.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 15:49

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Well...it didn't cure mine....I just had blood drawn for a comprehensive thyroid screen to find out (for once in my life) what thyroid meds should work best for me. I had two major thyroid "nosedives" while LC'ing......
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 15:58

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I wish it cured it as well as the two other medical conditions I have ... we cannot have everything though, right? The only thing low carbing cured was my fat butt!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 13:19
Registered Member

Stats: 151/149/120 Female 5 feet 2 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Wow, that's very interesting. I'm not due for another blood test for a few months but I have been feeling sluggish. I wonder if it has anything to do with my not losing either.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 15:26

Plan: No Plan
Stats: 134/129.6/118 Female 5' 2 3/4"
BF:?
Progress: 28%

I have been lo-carbing of years, and when I had my thyroid tested it turned up as "non-existent"! But the Dr. said it could have resulted from disease. I am in the process of finding a new Dr. There is an author called Mary J. Shomon, who wries about Thyroid disease, and advocates a lo carb diet, since he maintains that hypothyroid people don't process carbs very well.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 09:47

Stats: 290/264/150 Female 5ft8in
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hello

Hi,
I have done lc on 2 previous times and lost a good amount of weight. I was hypothyroid at the time but did not know it. I went on synthroid and tried to just watch what I ate and count calories, I did not have very good results. I have come off all meds due to klosing insurance coverage and have since began lc again. I am losing weight. My energy level seems to be about the same as it was before lc this time. I will monitor it and see. I do not think my hypo was too bad to begin with because the doctor kept dropping my dosage until I was down to 88 mcg a day. I did notice that my eczema looking skin rash under my breast area cleared up while on synthroid and my mood was better.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 14:15

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

yes i halfed my thyroid medication since i started LC. I think i was over treated to begin with. they are now treating everyone with TSH >1 that is crazy.

My theory how this whole thing works is this.Ohh and I also had PCOS symptoms.

carbs increase insuline , insuline increases fat storage, fat storage increases estrogen production, estrogen decreases progesterone production , progesterone deficiency causes decreased thyroid. there are other pathways ofcourse. Like gluten allergy takes up too much cortisone secretion in the body and increases insuline resistence. The same is true with yeast infections. So you can choose to deal with this in so many different ways. Easiest lifestyle changes and low carb in perticular.

Many people have been able to do intermediate things i mention here and get to the same end point. Like people loose fat on low calorie diet come to the same conclusion. Some put on progesterone creme and dont need to take thyroid medication anymore.

I basically think this is the feed back mechanism inside our body.

You can find evidence for each of these relations individually. But I see the big picture this way.

I am not a doctor please monitor your thyroid levels regularly with a doctor. These are purely my views.

There is hope and plenty of it.

Last edited by chandbaby1 : Mon, Aug-04-08 at 14:33.