Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 18:08

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 188/165/130 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default does anyone order meds online?

I just found out I am hypothyroid, but I don't have insurance. I am a starving student and thought maybe I could bypass the whole doctor visit thing and get my meds online. I know this probably sounds crazy, but that way I could monitor my numbers on my own with a home blood test. What do you think?
Thanks, Lyndsey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 21:11
Me and My DH

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

Lyndsey -- I'm assuming you were diagnosed as hypothyroid by a physician and based on that assumption, I will pose this question:

Did your DR explain that determining levels needed to correct your thyroid output can be a little tricky and that he/she may need to monitor you closely to make sure you get just the right amount?

Also, as a person who went nearly 10 years with no health insurance, I completely understand the desire to conserve what funds you have and be a "do-it-your-selfer". However, I don't know how you could accurately determine what meds -- even with a home blood test -- (how would you analyze the blood and if you paid someone to analyze it for you, how much would that cost?) you need and then get your medications reliably with no written, verifiable prescriptions from a licensed physician.

Granted, I haven't attempted to order medication online, so maybe there are ways to get medicines without a prescription which I'm not aware of. I was just diagnosed as being hypothyroid in early April of this year and my DR explained to me that the thyroid provides the "fuel" which runs the "engine" of your entire body. If it doesn't work right, nothing works right. So, it's a sensitive area and I would say to please be careful, whatever you decide to do.

Also -- one more thing -- have you considered going through your local health department? I did that for several years before I married and was put on my husband's plan and they were very helpful. Might be worth checking into -- to see if they have a program in your state for the medically uninsured.

Good luck to you!! Let us know how this works out for you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 17:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No, you can't get prescription thyroid meds without a prescription. However some people take glandular ones which are sold OTC. I don't know as I would trust their efficacy or potency, but it might be worth a try.