Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 08:09

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%
Default Crazy Question, but I am curious

When I did Atkins the first time I went from 227.5 to my lowest of 145. I only stayed at that 145 for about a day or two and would immediately bounce back and hover around 150. This morning (after almost a year off) I am at 160.8. (Honestly, I am okay with that gain. NOT happy and ecstatic but I know it could have been SOOOO much worse.)

I know in the DANDR version of Atkins, Dr. Atkins says during the first two weeks of the induction phase you will lose about 10% of what your body needs to release, so basically if during induction you lose 7 pounds then idealy it means you would need to lose about 70 pounds.

Does this ring true for someone like me, who may just be 25 pounds away from a DREAM goal, and I lose like say 5 to 7 pounds during that Induction time, or does that calculation only work if you really do have a lot to lose?!

I sure hope this makes sense to someone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 08:24

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

if I'm reading it right, then you should loose 70lb from your 160lb.. how tall are you... 4ft 6ins..... somethings wrong here?

if i'm 145, 10% is 14 = 131... that sounds right.
your 160, 10% is 16 = 144... do you see?... I'm not sure but it seems to make more sense...
...ah! you have now given me my new goal...131 I'm comming to get you!

hang on... a pound a week for me is a lot... 1/2 pound is do able, lets not get stupid... so, in 14 weeks, I could try for 7lb... is that about right?...138 in 14 weeks..o.k.

Last edited by teresaw : Tue, Jun-28-11 at 08:38.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 08:28

Plan: atkins/southbeach
Stats: 147/126/112 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

I understand what you are asking/saying . Hmmm , Well I lost 8 lbs first week... I am 5ft tall , and if I lose 80 lbs that would put me at 80 lbs :-/ ... which would NOT be a healthy weight for me . My goal is 115-118 , but I have been down to 103 and I thinkI looked healthy at that weight too , I am so short that would not be too little for me .
So maybe its more of an approximate range ... in that case yes , its close .
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 08:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

You can expect to lose 10% of your total of 25 pounds, which is 2.5 lbs on 2 weeks of induction. If you do lose more, then great for you!!
I think that your question is a bit confusing and I'm not even going to go there.
Why would you even consider losing to get to under 100 lbs? Its not realistic and its not an ideal weight for your height 5'4".

Sheila,
I know that you've been at this for quite a while now. I do hope that this time, you do the OWL phase and figure out how you will eat to keep it off, when you make it to your goal weight.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 09:21

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Actually I don't think that 10% figure comes from DANDR.

On another Atkins support board I read that one of the moderators there asked the staff at Dr Atkins' clinic back in the old days a similar question and was told that someone on induction over the first 2 weeks would probably lose between 5% and 10% of the total weight they needed to lose to become a "healthy weight"
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 09:24
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen

On another Atkins support board I read that one of the moderators there asked the staff at Dr Atkins' clinic back in the old days a similar question and was told that someone on induction over the first 2 weeks would probably lose between 5% and 10% of the total weight they needed to lose to become a "healthy weight"

Yes, I know and its what I've seen and experienced that has me say 10%. I should probably say up to 10%.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 13:02

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

Sheila, I don't think there's a "set" number of loss for any process. I have found I am really sugar/carb/salt reactive, and after dropping down from my high of 174, I got stuck at the 155-165 level for years. I was so discouraged because my weight loss efforts were small, it all just seemed so impossible. At one point I'd convinced myself I just couldn't lose any more because 1) I was older now and 2) I'd already dieted too much and my metabolism was shot.

Around March 1 of this year I got back to it and I'm currently down 20 pounds in that period of time between then and now, which is almost 4 months. I could have done better, but I took a vacation and went back up a total of about 9 pounds (I left for vacation at 139, came back at 147, and for 3 weeks after vacation I put on more untilI was 148.6). I was really mad about my backtracking, but I'm back on induction since Thurs. the 23rd and I've dropped about 5.5 pounds in that time. I certainly don't need to lose 50 lbs, so that 10% thing is bogus. My approach this time is very focused: I'm doing the earlier style induction, and I'm sticking to plan and I want to see how long I can go without messing this up. What helps is stocking up on what to eat so there's very little decision (I don't want to get caught hungry and with nothing appropriate to eat). I make myself eat 3 meals a day (I used to eat 2 because I really don't get hungry mid day). I'm eating meat, eggs, a bit of green veg, green tea, lots of water, one cappuccino per day made with half and half, occasionally a bit of whipped cream on some SF jello as a treat. So far I'm doing well with this...no cravings, no real hunger, and the weight is dropping consistently so I'm real happy.

A lot of this was just putting my mind to it. What works for me is limited variety. And predictibility of eating. Keeping it all simple.

Last edited by CMCM : Tue, Jun-28-11 at 13:07.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 22:17

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen

Yes....I've always heard the 10% rule as well as described above. But how much you lose in the first two weeks is not an indicator of how much you <should> lose. For instance, I lost 13 lb. in induction (my first time around at 213). If I calculated the way you describe, Sheila, that would mean that I would have needed to lose 130 lbs....but that would put my goal weight at 83 lbs!!!! In actuality that 83 lbs is about what I needed to lose...putting me around 130 lbs. I struggled a bit figuring that out, so hope you understand what I'm saying...

Judy is right....<most> people can expect to lose up to 10% of the weight they want to lose during induction. So if you're 160 and your goal is 135 you could lose up to 2.5 lbs. as Judy said. If you lose more during induction that doesn't mean you need to lower your goal.

I think you are coming at the 10% rule backwards and it doesn't really work the same way....fortunately, as I can't imagine weighing 83 lbs. at 5'4!!!