Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 17:23
That German Girl!

Plan: Low Carb, No Sugar
Stats: //! Female 5'11
BF:See my Inch Ticker
Progress: 64%
Talking HIIT and Weights Question (Regarding x per week)

Hey all I just started weight training, oh, Jan 31st and I really LIKE it so far! I am more into lifting heavy (for me) than that other thing with the little dumbbells and high reps.

I use free weights, as much weight as I can lift and still keep my form in check, low reps, that's all.

I lift 3x a week and I do HIIT (25 mins INCLUDING warmup and cooldown) 6-7 days a week.

On the days when I do weights, I have been doing the HIIT *after* the weights, so no worries there.

Today, though - I added some deep (ass to floor) squats 3x10 (3rd set to fail, so 12) at 17kg.

Then, when I did my HIIT, I could only get in one cycle (10 mins total including warmup and cooldown) before my legs were all stupid.

I don't mean HURTING, and I was not winded at all (I was actually having a debate with my husband at the time!) but all weird and jellified.

I guess that means that woo! I got a good enough working of the legs that the cardio HIIT was a NO today? It kind of sucked because I felt like I was ripped off the other 15 mins of my HIIT *grrr*

Anyway, my question is: I would like to know if I am doing HIIT and Weights, if I should JUST do weights ONE day then cardio the ALTERNATE day or should I continue with my 6x a week 25 min HIIT?

I feel fine and in fact, my legs are not overly sore (OK walking UP the stairs is easier than down tonight LOL!), but today was the first time I was like: Woo!
I cannot finish this, my legs are all weird! (Again, NOT pain here, just weird! Too loose or something?)

Any ideas on that?

I will still exercise 6x a week no matter what, and I will definitely be doing weights 3x a week and definitely HIIT *at least* 3x a week - so all I would like to know is if it's better to cut the HIIT out on weight days, or just do as much of my 25 as I can, after weights and call it good?

Everyone here so far says: Either do the cardio after weights, or do them on alternate days. I want to know WHICH of those is recommended.

Prior to today, I have had no issues completing my HIIT after weights (full body), but today was the first time I did the deep squats - as opposed to Thursday, when I did parallels ~ 27kg and finished my HIIT no sweat (pun SO intended! LOL! I sweat like a geyser!).

However, I am also aware that I (stupidly) did NOT eat enough today prior to my lifting and HIIT session. (Duh! but I realized it afterwards!)

So, that could be why I could not complete my HIIT. However, I guess what I hope is that the reason is that my legs just got a really good beating!

Anyone care to take a poke?

I just want to make sure I am not OVERexersicing here. I don't feel like it (aside from today) but I would like to hear from you!

THANKS!
~Kimberly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 14:26

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Way to go with the squatting, sister. Your routine looks great. That is how i do it many weeks (the cardio after weights.)
Doing those low squats will defintitely get your legs, especially the first couple of times. You didn't have to do the cardio.
As I see you are gradually increasing the intensity of your lifting workouts, you really don't NEED that much cardio to lose good amounts of weight.
A lot of people might say you are overtraining and to only do the HIIT 3 days a week. I think 7 is definitely pushing it. you need a rest day. 6 days of cardio should be fine (well, i'd do it, at least...)but perhaps 3 of those 6 days (the weighttraining days!) you shouldn't do HIIT, you should do something more mellow. It CAN be bad to overuse your muscles after an intense weight session. Sometimes they need protein and rest, not running!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 02:32
That German Girl!

Plan: Low Carb, No Sugar
Stats: //! Female 5'11
BF:See my Inch Ticker
Progress: 64%

Thanks Lilli! For the INTELLIGENT answer! I have been elsewhere too and received (several) similar answers, so I am going to cut some of that down as suggested by well, everyone.

Thank you!
~Kimberly
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 02:49
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

HIIT with weights?

How does that work exactly?

Do you have maybe a link to a video example of what you do?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 12:18

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16
HIIT with weights?

How does that work exactly?

Do you have maybe a link to a video example of what you do?

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it IS possible to do hiit cardio with weights. Sorry, i don't have a video, but i have been doing this lately:

kettlebell swings with low weight (18 or 32 pounds), and bodyweight squats.
I switch off doing 20 swings, then 20 squats, as many reps as i can during 190 seconds. then, i have a 190 second rest, during which i throw a medicine ball around with my workout partner.
I do 8 sets of this.
It is a KILLER hiit cardio workout, let me tell you....