Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 12:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Question Newbie

I am new to this forum and only six days into the Atkins diet plan. I have so far been successful in sticking to the diet, however; after six days have not lost an ounce. I'm contributing that to the fact that I'm on the medication prozac (which I stopped taking as of today), and yes, I did speak to my dr. I was beginning to think that possibly, I don't really need it anymore. I think the fact that I'm feeling so miserable is because I can't stand looking at an overweight me! Anyway, is there anyone out there who was on this drug and stopped it. Did you then begin to lose weight? How long did it take?
I also had one other question for anyone out there. I've been getting headaches only in the afternoons. Can I attribute that to the fact that my body hasn't been getting the carbs that it's been used to? Another symtom I've experienced is leg cramping. Is that normal?
Well I'm glad I found this site. I've been reading it daily and finally decided to post myself. I've found a lot of useful info and enjoy reading all of your posts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 12:31

Plan: Atkins (induction)
Stats: 240/232/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Yank,

I just wanted to comment on your question about stopping prozac.

I took prozac for about 6 months and it helped me out tremendously. It gave me energy along with other things. When I stopped taking it I gained alot of weight But that's me, everyone is different. I may have gained because maybe I wasn't really ready to stop taking it. The doctor I had at the time never really talked to me about anything so I have no idea if it was the medicine or something else to why I gained.

---- Swt_T
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 12:46

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Default prozac

Swt T:

Thanks for your reply. I know one of the side effects of prozac is weight gain and increased appetite. Both of which I did experience. However, I did begin to gain weight before I was put on prozac. Prozac only helped the situation!!!! ugh! I honestly feel I can do without it since I'm so discouraged with my weight gain I really think thats why I'm so darned depressed, sad and just plain miserable. I was 100 lbs. at one time (granted, that was a long time ago) but I know I can be there again (or at least close to it). My entire metabolism changed after having children. I did lose 20 lbs. on weight watchers a long time ago but of course put it all back and then some. Besides that, I hated weight watchers.
Thanks again for your post. I'm truly enjoying this site and all of the useful information I've obtained from it so far. Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 07:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power/Sugar Busters
Stats: 166/158/145
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Leg Cramps

Dear Yank in NC,

You can prevent the leg cramps by eating strawberries, which will neutralize the uric acid that is making your legs hurt. Strawberries are very low in carbs and are the only fruit I eat on this diet. Best of luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 06:55

Stats: 250/220/180
BF:
Progress: 43%
Smile Hi!

I am so frustrated as I'm sure alot of you are at times as well, but I have got to lose weight! In the last 3 years going on 4 now I have went from 210# to 245#! Just 8 years ago I weighed 188# after leaving the hospital with my son Taylor, so this is the biggest I HAVE EVER BEEN! I just keep gaining and gaining. But in the last 3 years I have had knee surgery and a hysterectomy and quit smoking! I can't wear a sign explaining why I have let myself get so big even though for the most part I have good reasons. Now, I'm on HRTs and I can't get into ketosis and I don't have a scale, I don't know what to do. Many of you know that I just can not handle stress and if I had to get on a scale day in and day out it would be the death of me, but I have got to do something NOW! Every year we go to IL. for Christmas, we are there 11 days, naturally I gain weight while we're there but also every year before we go back I am bigger and bigger. This year I want to be down at least one size. (20's) Do you think that is reasonable? Is there someone who would be willing to let me be accountable to them till Christmas? I have got to do something, please! Too late to join the Oct. challenge for it to do any good? Thanks for your support.
PS Before my hysterectomy I was on lc for 5 months so no I am not new to lc.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 16:29
Registered Member

Stats: 198/168/145
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default You can "account" to me!

Hi there, If you still need to be accountable to someone, I would be happy to be one of those people. Christmas is a wonderful goal and I think you can easily be down a size by then. Are you walking at all and are you drinking plenty of purified water? Those two things alone will really help you with your mood and cravings. I don't know about the HRT and not getting into ketosis but this is a wonderful place to get someones advice about that! I am struggling with cravings at this TOM and trying my best to drink more water and at least do a mile on my treadmill everyday. I have a hard time finding my posts so if you just want to email me, I will be sure and get back to you. I am a stay at home mom (40) with a 3 yr old son. I peaked out at 198 and went on Meridia and lost about 30 lbs in 4 months and then I did not want to take it anymore (just expensive). Now, I just feel awful when I eat carbs and bloat up really bad so I decided to try Atkins again. I had great success with it a few yrs ago and then I just went back to eating all the carbs I wanted. I decided to nip it in the bud because "the longer you wait, the harder it will be" has always been in the back of my head and that little voice is always right. I am also trying to cleanse my system of candida and went to the health food store and got this candida cleanse stuff. After the first day of taking it, I did not have the awful headache anymore but they tell me that you don't just get rid of it that easy so I will plug on. I have bored you long enough! Good luck and please count on me for support and I will do the same

Talk to ya later Kim 175/167/145
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 11:58

Stats: 240/228/135
BF:39
Progress: 11%
Smile Hey Yank..I have a ?

I read alittle about your 'prozac' expirience and wanted to know what happend? The thread was from 10/02....My husband and I were both on anti-depressents and gained 30-40 each. This was over the course of 1.5 to 2 years. Our zero debit also inflated to debt of about 10 grand. We feel that, at the time, the meds were a 'godsend' but look back now ( we have been off for about 6 months) and think how crazy to give people such a effective med and not monitor them like children...we just didn't have any care about the reprocutions of our actions, whether it was eating or spending money...on spending money on eating....Just curious as to your experience.. thanks ,
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 02:13

Stats: 193/186/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default ansnoopy

I read your post and felt the desperation that I also feel and have felt for years, at being overweight, frightened for my health, ihibited by my body, annoyed that I am exausted playing games with the children, embarrased at my dress size, hate shopping, and worst of all, the feeling of having to destroy all the photos you get back with you on, because you just look so gross.

I am 6 weeks into atkins, so far lost 9lb, and stuck for 4 weeks now, but I am persevering, and at least do feel medically better, I have 50lb to lose to get back to a decent size 14 (I am not bothered about being a 10) just a normal sized person not a 20.

I would love some support with it, and would like to support others too..... I live next to my inlaws, all are thin, and my husband, sometimes feel too ashamed to really cope, but you have too.

sarah
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 11:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/190
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default re: prozac

hey there,

in response to the prozac posts, I was also on prozac as well, and I noticed that I gained wait when I was on it. And it was aggravating because I was depressed about being overweight!

I also come from a hypocondriac (sp?) family that believes they have every illness or disease, from ADHD to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I found that all of the symptoms I was feeling fell away as I lost more weight. I dropped 127 pounds in 1 year (gained back about 40 of it over the last 2 years) but I felt absolutely fantastic - didn't need ANY medication. I had excellent concentration, high energy.

I think a lot of overweight people mistake their weight-related problems for other medical conditions.

My feeling about medication: prozac made me feel more balanced, but the solution was not to be happier and more accepting of my weight problem. The solution for me was to get angry and depressed enough to do something about it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 07:59

Stats: 175/156/136
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Quitting Prozac

Abruptly stopping prozac could cause dizziness - you need to step down the dosage slowly.