Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 17:12

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
My mother is a prime example of the results you get with Ornish. She has eaten "his" way since the 80's, and by age 70 was in assisted living (now full care) due to type 2 diabetic complications...NO FEELING (neuropathy) from the knees down - this came on for 10 years before disabling her. She cannot walk, even with a walker now. Her vision is poor. She is in her 70s and by far the youngest person in her facility. But she still says Atkins is going to ruin my health.

Your post just really breaks my heart Windo... I get really upset at people like Mr.Howard who are manipulating studies and data to use as propoganda for their agenda...Unless you supplement,you simply cannot get the needed amino acids,enzymes,minerals,nutrients needed for proper health,by avoiding all sources of animal products....Does anyone remember the Pritikin Diet? It was stricter than Ornish..Dr.Pritikin commited suicide,and it was known he was suffering from deep depression...Lack of B-12(found only in animal products)is known to cause depression and suicidal thoughts..Is that what caused him to take his life?? IDK,but 2+2=4 and we need to feed our body what it needs...The one thing that it has NO need of is carbohydrates...What does it absolutely need??Fats,protein,and water...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 17:19

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

That's really sad about your mom, Gonwtwindo. A lot of people are scared into eating that way because of reports exactly like the ones posted by this guy. I felt terrible on a vegan diet and none of the promised health improvements happened for me. I'm grateful for all the science proving the health benefits to a low carb diet that's been published over the last couple of years.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 17:23

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Speaking of depression, I was terribly depressed while on a vegan diet and it went away as soon as I started low carbing. I agree with you 100% Thomas, you simply cannot get the nutrients you need by eating that way. Just B12 alone should be enough to get people to reconsider but they're so convinced vegan is the only way to eat they don't give it a 2nd thought.