Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 15:06

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

He claims I will never stick to the plan, that it is too hard. He also says you only live once and you should devour all the junk that you can. I have a bad feeling if he keeps this up I will outlive him. It's no wonder he is always tired
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 15:29
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

No advice here, but I was just saying to myself that there ARE going to be people who don't understand the high fat, low carb idea, simply because it's what we've been taught all of our lives to follow. My MIL was just saying that the answer is portion sizes. I just agreed to disagree (in my mind) and said that the only way I lose weight is to eat low carb, and that I believe that each person needs to choose the WOE that fits them best and helps them to remain trim. The conversation ended a little weird, but I think for us who eat this way that is STILL treated as totally unconventional and wacky, we just have to come to terms with the fact that it's going to be that way.

It's harder when it's your spouse/significant other, of course. My husband believes that margarine is better for you than butter, and still tries to eat low fat. I had to quit trying to make him eat "my way" and just do what I have to do. It sucks, and it makes things harder, but I am the only one responsible for my weight loss or gain, so there is that.

I liked what someone said about you being responsible for your eating and her be responsible for hers. It might be difficult for her to think that you aren't driving your health right into the ground, though. I know is this is an old thread, so I hope you have gotten this worked out. Gonna read the rest right now.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 16:06
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Curious, did he say why you shouldn't eat low carb? Does he think you will suffer from a french fry and donout deficiency? It's funny, I can kind of see the point from those that shovel in their 12 grain servings a day with "health food" offerings. They honestly believe that they are eating something your body is going to become putrid and diseased without. On the other hand, you have the people who will criticize you for... a lack of junk food?

I wouldn't expect such a dumb comment from a woman. But I could see a man saying such nonsense. It is kind of the assumed leader point of view. "If I do it, then it must be right". The thought (or lack of) about what is actually being said doesn't often go much deeper then that. I've been guilty of it.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-14, 06:11

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

Well we had an interesting experience this morning!

I have bought myself a blood glucose / ketone monitor. More for fun than any specific reasoning. So I got it yesterday, and decided to see what things were saying first thing this morning (or after at least a 12 hour fast.

So my blood sugar was 5.3 which was higher than expected but not at all a problem, ketones where 0.7 which if they stay at that level apparently I need to see a doctor LOL.

Then OH decided that she would see what her's were.
glucose 6.0 ketones 0.0

now 6.0 is the limit for what is pre diabetes, some say below six some say six is ok. But either way its still on the cusp and she got herself quite in a tissy.

Don't know what the outcome of this will be in the long term, but she is now seriously thinking that something needs to change.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-14, 07:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Keeping below 6 is important to avoid damage from diabetic complications, but one test with a home meter just could be off. Though if it helps her decide to join you eating more LC that's good.
Consider testing more days fasting levels, and 1 and 2 hour after meals, and an HbA1c.
http://www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/The%20Tool%20Kit.htm
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-14, 07:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 288/256/200 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
He also says you only live once and you should devour all the junk that you can. I have a bad feeling if he keeps this up I will outlive him. It's no wonder he is always tired

I have almost the same one at home... he always refers to the magic skin tale by Balzac, do you know it?
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-14, 07:53

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Keeping below 6 is important to avoid damage from diabetic complications, but one test with a home meter just could be off. Though if it helps her decide to join you eating more LC that's good.
Consider testing more days fasting levels, and 1 and 2 hour after meals, and an HbA1c.
http://www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/The%20Tool%20Kit.htm

Will do.

I am also going to get her to do a glucose tolerance test.

but hopefully it is simply a kick in the right direction. That I would prefer.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-14, 21:19

Plan: Zero-Carb
Stats: 220/203/190 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Well I have to give an update. I love it when others do so I should as well.

Wife is really noticing the difference, she called me skinny boy because of my appearance in my now oversized work clothes. I lost 2 inches on my waist but weight loss is stopped for the moment. But this is about fat loss not weight loss. Everyone is noticing the difference and asks how much I have lost.

My wife no longer nags or argues seems impressed even a bit jelous at times. She will cook my WOE meals for me just to help out and be supportive.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-14, 23:12

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead
Well I have to give an update. I love it when others do so I should as well.

Wife is really noticing the difference, she called me skinny boy because of my appearance in my now oversized work clothes. I lost 2 inches on my waist but weight loss is stopped for the moment. But this is about fat loss not weight loss. Everyone is noticing the difference and asks how much I have lost.

My wife no longer nags or argues seems impressed even a bit jelous at times. She will cook my WOE meals for me just to help out and be supportive.

This is great news!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 05:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What kept me going through the relatives who were certain I was wrong and all the yelling on the TV about the "right" way to eat was that, aside from the steady, un-tormented weight loss, I also hadn't felt so good in ages.

I can't argue with that.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-14, 03:37

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have to agree with WereBear here, I am a newbie, and I have definitely had LOTS of criticism from my OH. I am not a fighter, so I simply ignore, I cannot argue with how good I feel. I started this new lifestyle in Nov/13, originally to "just drop a few pounds fast" I have been pleasantly surprised how much I love this entire concept, I have not had a medical check up, one is scheduled for September, I'm confident that all will be OK.

Last edited by zoogirl : Mon, Jun-30-14 at 03:51.