Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 16:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%
Default Is walking 20 minutes .....

Ok guys looking for advice here. I have started my induction phase and I am curious I am walking 20 minutes a day at a pretty brisk pace much faster than I normally walk. Is this a good start for someone what is 341 and just starting..... I will be adding a gym soon. but until then any suggestions.

Last edited by Unholy : Wed, Oct-27-04 at 08:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 16:26

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

That's a great start. Plenty of people here have dropped lots of weight with only walking as their exercise. You can lenghten your walks gradually.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 16:28

Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%

WOW Quest that was quick thank you for vote of confidence there. Any suggestions on other exercises that I can do. Where I work ( work for a friend in a small office area just the 2 of us) he is bringing in his Weider Crossbow system for us to use to work out is this also a good idea.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 16:44

Stats: 317/252/175 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 46%

I can definitely attest to the value of walking...

I have a desk job and a bad ankle that will allow me to walk but not a whole lot more. Like you, I started out at over 300 and found that the only exercise I could fit in my schedule was to walk 20 minutes 2-3 times/week at lunch and 1 hour doing laps around the shopping mall near my home twice a week. Weight came off.

How do I know the walking made the difference? My work hours increased and I slacked off on the walking about 6 weeks ago. I've been eating right day after day, and yet I've been stuck around this 50 lb. mark for that same 6 weeks.

Just posting this message makes me realize how much I need to get back at it again.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 21:24

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Check out this thread too on walking!http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=213407
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 04:15

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

That is an AWESOME start! Maybe you could get your arms moving while you are walking - that will help you get your heart rate up which will help burn fat. You will feel like an idiot waving your arms around - but hey, who cares! I just started a gym log today and I have been doing this for over a year - you need to start one now, so in a month, we can see that you went up to 30 minutes of walking!! I wish I would have started one a long time ago. It will be great motivation for you to see your progress and will also help others that follow you. Keep up the good work & keep posting!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 04:25
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

What a great start. Kudos to you for getting that into your schedule.

You might want to add ankle weights too. Intensify things you know.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 13:22

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Walking is a great way to start easing yourself into regular exercise. At 300+ lbs you are definately going to feel it in your muscles but as your weight drops please think seriously about resistance exercise to keep your metabolically active muscle around. Compound exercises like squats and bench presses build muscle and keep the fat fires burning. Muscle is the greatest fat burner going and ,unlike cardio exercise, blasts thru fat 24/7!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 19:37
Registered Member

Stats: 285/251.8/150 Female 5'8"
BF:50+/46.5/30
Progress: 25%

Kiwigal - your signature line really hit home for me - Failure is sacrificing what we want most for what we want NOW! I copied it and printed it out real big to stick on my fridge. Thanks, that is just what I needed to hear.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 14:34
Registered Member

Stats: 183/176/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 13%

Starting with walking is a GREAT start. Way better than most people who just start the diet without the exercise. I know cause I was one of them. Remember it takes two months of doing something to make it a habit. Start slow and work your way up.....remember it will only get easier!

I always feel so good after doing my cardio or weight training AND I think when you combine diet with exercise it helps strengthen your mind and body faster so you don't want to cheat because you are working so hard and feeling so good about yourself.

Keep up the good work!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 07:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/205/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

this thread is almost 2 years old, but is still good info! Time for me to start walking!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 09:00

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default Walking is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
Ok guys looking for advice here. I have started my induction phase and I am curious I am walking 20 minutes a day at a pretty brisk pace much faster than I normally walk. Is this a good start for someone what is 341 and just starting..... I will be adding a gym soon. but until then any suggestions.

When I first started LC (I wasn't with Atkins, just sort of doing my own thing) I included walking as my exercise, 45 min, 5 days per week and would lose between 1 - 2 lbs a week. When I stopped the weight stopped falling off. I just got back into walking the other day and I'm hoping to see positive results.

My suggestion, take it slow. Start with walking 20 min and once you're comfortable with that go to the next level, whatever feels right for you.

Keep it up!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife

You might want to add ankle weights too.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT use ankle weights for walking! That is not their intended use, nor were your knees designed to walk with weights on your feet! They were designed to add weight to the ankles for stationary exercises such as straight leg lifts and ab exercises. My Orthopedic Surgeon told me this. Very bad for the knees.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 20:42

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default Still hanging in

EllH is right about the ankle weights. They can do serious damage to the knees if you walk or jog in them.

Treadmil 45min; 2.16 miles; 266 cals.