Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 06:57

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default "Coconut oil is the only oil that does not..

deposit on the body as fat, but immediately transforms into energy."

This is a quote from a review of "Eat Fat, Get Thin". I have coconut oil at home because some of Dana Carpendar's recipes require it. It is solid at room temperature and I haven't used it yet.

Anyone out there have any experience with it?

Can't see how the above statement can be true because I use a lot of oil and fat and it certaining is not being deposted on my body. Must be being deposited on someone else's.

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Check out the sticky section in the suppliment forum. There is tons of information on coconut oil.

If you get coconut oil, make sure to get vergin cold pressed. Wilderness Family makes a good one that can be bought in tons of sizes. NOW also has a small jar you can buy. Also try to find some that is stored in a glass jar not plastic.

Good virgin coconut oil is very smooth and has a mild coconut taste. The Spectrum Naturals brand is heavily processed and is more gritty and the taste is horrid. It does make a wonderful moisturizer though. Before going to bed use coconut oil, or coconut oil mixed with safflower oil as a body moisturizer (warning it doesn't absorbe right away so you'll be slicked up). It can also be used as a hair conditioner.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/147/125 Female 5'3''
BF:28
Progress: 31%

well ladybelle cracks me up. for sure it wont store up in your body as fat if ur putting it on as a moisturizer and not taking it in.

sorry cant resist. LOL
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:18

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Wrap I love your sense of humor.

LadyBelle that's a great idea about coconut oil. When I bought my first jar at Trader Joe's a month ago, they suggested it as well. We can go to bed smelling like Coppertone without getting a burn, eh? It does work good on the lips though during our windy NW weather.

I love coconut oil for my garlic and shrimp.

Can anyone tell me why mine is turning to liquid now in the jar?

Great day everyone---
Annie-Pie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:29

Plan: Atkins / CKD
Stats: 145/145/133 Female 66 inches
BF:25%/22%/18%
Progress: 0%
Default Skin Eats

I wanted to get my plug in here for heavy or whipping cream that you may have in your fridge with this diet. Excellent for your face to use after cleansing - and rinse WELL (otherwise you'll smell like sour milk), then moisturize.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Coconut oil is mainly saturated fat. As is coconut meat and milk. It turns liquid at lightly above room temp. There is nothing wrong and if it gets cold it will resalidify.

Measure it out liquid or solid, doens't matter. To use as moisturizer you can warm in a water bath, or just rub between your hands.

For using as a suppliment I like the solid state. Just osmething more there I guess
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 00:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks, LadyBelle!

Annie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 06:00

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

LadyBelle,

Thanks for pointing me to the right forum to search. I searched in recipes and kept getting recipes with coconut oil in them or plain coconut and some other type of oil but no info on the oil itself.

I'm always cold so I decided to add coconut oil to my life. I already use the milk in a few recipes and will be increasing that also.

The cookies are great but they sort of melted in the oven and left a very large puddle of oil on the bottom. (I have flat cookie sheets and the oil just ran off). The house was filled with smoke and I had to open the windows and put a fan in. We could breathe but we were freezing!

Can anyone tell me if this always happens when baking with coconut oil?

Barb
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

My friend made cookies using coconut oil and a recipe from Dana Carpender's book. they were great! I couldn't believe they were low carb and the oatmeal in them tasted like coconut because of the oil. What a treat. Nothing like the nasty Atkins cookies I've been baking. I don't know what I'm going to do with the $12 Atkins Bake mix I've got. Maybe I should mix it with coconut oil and apply the paste to my face!