Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 12:36

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%
Default when to eat?

I have been doing 20 - 30 min of Zumba every morning for about 2 weeks now but will be going to my first hour class tomorrow evening. I get off work at 5 and the class starts at 6 but is close to work. If I eat before the class I am afraid I will get sick but am afraid if I do not eat at least something I wont have good energy for the class or will get sick from not eating. I had this problem a couple of mornings last week - feeling sick. I wake up around 6, take the dog out and turn on the coffee. I do my Zumba, take a shower, get dressed for work then fry 3 eggs in butter and then off to work. Twice last week by the time I got to work I was a mess. I was jittery, shakey and felt "off". According to replies I received to a post I made in regards to this my blood sugar may have been too low.

Tammie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 12:53

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

What are you eating, and when, before the exercise? How low carb are you?

Zumba can be a glucose-burning exercise depending on how high your heart rate gets. So you need glucose from somewhere.
If you are super low carb, you might have no glucose in the blood, and no glycogen in your muscle.
the cupboard is bare of glucose to fuel glucose-burning exercise.

do you have enough extra protein all the time for making glucose out of protein, to fill your muscle glycogen? Or do you deplete glycogen every day? It takes some time to refill glycogen just from protein if you are super low carb.

Did you try having a snack the night before? some early high-intensity exercisers do that with success.

Or- and this is what I do - if you want to do that kind of exercise every day, have 50-100g carb every day like Primal Blueprint says.
Easier all around and you never have to worry about energy.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 20:54

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

In the mornings I only have a cup of coffee with sugar free french vanilla creamer (2 carbs) before workingout. My 20 - 30 min morning work out gets me sweating a little but it is focused on the abs. The class I am going to tomorrow night is an our long and will be a total workout.
Generally speaking in regards to my eating I do try to stay as low carb as I can. Typical day is 3 eggs fried in butter (this is every morning), lunch is salad consisting of iceburg, a little red cabbage, very small amount of carrots as I do not lik them at all but can tolerate mixed in and ranch dressing (about 4 carbs in dressing). I also have some grilled chicken. Sometimes some bacon crumbles and just a little cheese. Snacks are a handfull of peanuts, pork rinds or sugar free jello. Supper is meat and vegges - typically a steak or chicken, salad (same composition as listed above). I like my spaghetti sauce - ground hamburger, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, no sugar added sauce from a jar. No noodles of course. Chicken or beef fajitas have also became a favorite lately. On Sunday I have about a cup of brown beans with butter and a little cheese. I have only cheated once since the first of the year (boss was not aware of my eating and brought me a lemon filled dougnut and I couldnt resist). My willpower is pretty strong right now so I dont think I am in jepordy of it happening again.
Thank you for your comments and questions even though I dont fully understand what you are trying to tell me so please educate me.
My goal is for this first 2 months to be completly on plan and exersice as much as possible and see the maximum benifit I can at the end of Feb. I have no plan of quiting after that though. I want to get off to the best start I possibly can so I have no regrets or "if I had only done this or haddent done that, ate better, exercise more". I am all in!!!!!

Tammie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-11, 10:08

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

So you are asking for the education on the exercise part?
What questions do you have?

Bottom line that icky feeling in the morning is from not enough glucose for your exercise. Things you can do:
add some carbs in food (fast glucose production), or
add protein in food (slower glucose production), or
wait more between heart-raising workouts (so your body can restore the glucose).

You can slow yourself down by "exercising as much as possible" while transitioning to low carb.

For a start you might like Sisson's "Chronic Cardio."
You are not doing chronic cardio, I know, but what he has to say about how hard and frequent we exercise, might shed some light.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/