Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/230/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Is there any low-carber's in Greenville NC ?

I'm new to low-carbing and would love any advice and support from any low-carber's in the area.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 15:00
Registered Member

Stats: 246/231/150
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hey Erika--

I don't know if you still come here, but I live right in Kinston and just started LCing 2 days ago.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:18

Plan: atkins/bernstien
Stats: 450/389/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default HELLO

It's good to hear that I"m not the only person in Kinston or Greenville, N.C. low carbing. I live outside of Kinston, do most of my shopping in Greenville.

Decarber
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 02:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hey Decarber

It's nice to se that there's somebody here from my neck of the woods! How are ya?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 12:02

BF:
Default hello

Hello LtlBirdie,
Good to hear from you. I've been LCing for almost a year. Started in early mar. of last year. I had a dr. appt. shortly after that, all blood work was good except for the part about BLOOD SUGAR.
found out that i was a diabetic, but caught in time levels were low.
was put on glucophage 500mg in june 02. found out about the bernstein book, read book. the info was so close to atkins that i stayed on the atkin's diet.
today my levels are barely in the impaired range, more normal. the more fat that falls off, the lower the levels run.
have really learned a lot this past year, about things that affected
the ketotis state, (medicines) and blood sugar level.
after trying millions of diets and spending lots of money, i have findly found something that i can live with the rest of my life.
Decarber
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 19:34
Registered Member

BF:

Decarber--

Looks like you are doing great!!

I think I may email this page to my mom. She is considering starting a diet, but is worried about low carbing. She has also been diagnosed diabetic, I think she was on glucophage too. She spoke with a doctor and he advised her that atkins would be bad for her--said that fat is worse than carbs for a diabetic and it could cause kidney problems. I've sent her tons of pro-low-carb info--I'm not trying to make her do it, I just don't want her to decide not to based on misinformation.

Congratulations on your progress!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 11:01

BF:
Default MAD

hello ltlBirdie:

thanks for the notes. tell your mom to visit www.diabetes-normalsugars.com . it's the bernstein site and there's lots of good info there. i found out about it from atkin's site.
as for doctors they are in for the bucks, feed a diabetic 400grams of carbs. per day, put them on insulin. helps keep doctors and drug companies in business. I know this plan has really helpped me, I'd be on insulin by now if not for low carbing.
as for soft drinks the diet rite brands use splenda, I can't remember if this is bernst. or aktkins, but it did not affect bloodsugar levels or ketotsis.
and thing i try to remember "it all didn't get on over night, so it all ain't going to disappear overnight."
i was stuck for about a month where i was seeing no change, then all of a sudden i dropped a lot.
it takes sticking to it, i know you can do it.
decarber
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:

Just sent my mom this page--I hope she checks out that site.

Where do you get diet-rite soda? I'm trying to not have any aspartame or caffeine but haven't run across diet-rite yet (only looked in wal-mart and food lion so far).

As much as I shouldn't I "have" to jump on the scale every morning--am down a pound today. "Official" weigh-in (when I change weight in stats) is tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 12:12

BF:
Default diet rite

hey ltlBirdie:

have purchased the diet rite colas at walmart, but you need to be there when they are stocking the shelf cause they go f-a-s-t.
piggly wiggly is best, always in stock, i really like the tangerine,no caff. cal.,or carbs. same with the cheerwine(just soda no alcohol) the taste has to grow on you. not sure about caff. in regular dt.rite. have read on web that they produce lots of other flavors, but they don't stock them around here.
when a walmart check out the mt. olive pickles no sugar made with splenda. wonderful. slice of ham or turkey with a slice of cheese and a few pickles, roll this up , don't even miss the bread.
also at walmart (coffee bean sect.) check out the sugar free davinci flavored syrup. great to add to a cup of coffee.
decarber
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 12:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks!! Will definiteley go by piggy wiggy when i do grocery shopping for the diet rite!! Tried diet cheerwine once before--didn't like it.

I have some dill cubes (for tuna & chicken salad), do they make other kinds of sugar free pickles besides dill? Like maybe bread & butter pickles? (would be nice)

Used to get Davinci syrups from walmart in g'ville when I lived there. Only flavor I've seen at walmart here is french vanilla. Was thinking about looking for other flavors and making my own soda with the syrup & club soda.