Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 07:25

Plan: Scwarzbein Principle
Stats: 214/214/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Pure-pressed Olive Oil

Has anyone here found pure-pressed olive oil? I've been searching, but can only find cold-pressed.

A health food store manager told me that cold-pressed is the least processed and most desireable kind, so I bought it.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts about my quandry.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 11:53

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Same thing

Actually, I have yet to find an olive oil that says it is "pure pressed." Cold pressed is the term used in olive oil. It means that the presses used were low-speed and do not create heat when they grind the olives for the oil.

The most healthful olive oil, by the way, is not just cold pressed, it is also unfiltered. It will be cloudy, but it retains all the anti-oxidants that normally get filtered out to make the oil clear. We have a wonderful local olive grower who makes cold-pressed, extra-virgin, unfiltered olive oil that is to die for. Their olive groves are actually in our city limits. And they use these huge stone grinders.

Olive oil is also a matter of taste. You should try different ones until you find the one(s) you like best. But you can trust that if it is cold-pressed, it is good for TSP. I generally use an "inexpensive" cold-pressed, extra-virgin, olive oil from the grocery store for cooking and the high-quality one for finishing sauces at the end of cooking and using uncooked (i.e. salad dressings).

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 15:27

Plan: Scwarzbein Principle
Stats: 214/214/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

Deb -

Thanks very much for the explanation! I truly appreciate it!

Congratulations of your success on the program! Keep up the great work!