Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default Rant!

I wish in my area of the planet we had more tasty, healthy convenience foods. Or even good restaurants! Even the nice "sit down and be served" restaurants are chains. I love Europe and all the wonderful food. There is so much more time and effort and money and care put into the food there.

I really do love my small city in Canada and doubt that I would move away for long, but you Europeans are sooooo lucky!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 11:06

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Sorry Arcticslug that you can't find a nice family-run restaurant in Prince George (I think that is where you said you were from). I have found 3 restaurants in Edmonton (I'm sure there are more) that are run by entire families and that I have frequented for years. These people work very hard at what they do, they are friendly, eager to please and will substitute whatever I want (within reason) when I order. I'm sure that if everyone made a concerted effort to locate family-run restaurants and businesses locally, everyone would benefit (except maybe the chains).\

Here is a site for pasture raised animal and organic farms in Canada. There are many in B.C. Maybe it will help somewhat and lead to other similar sites.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/canada.html

Actually everyone should check out this site because there are many articles on here explaining the differences in raising grass fed animals as opposed to feed-lot animals and outlining all benefits. Excellent site.

I keep editing this response. Also forgot to mention that I drop by Halal meat markets looking for fresh chicken livers, hearts and gizzards. My local one almost always has bags of them, separated so that you can buy them separately if you wish. Perhaps you could check to see if there is one in Prince George.

Last edited by Hellistile : Fri, Apr-16-04 at 12:56.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Actually, there are a few good Greek restaurants in town which I love, and Indian restaurant and a couple of seafood/steak restaurants and a good authentic Italian restaurant too. So....I'm just being a complainer I guess. When I was in Edmonton last weekend I was blown away by all the amazing food - we went to a restaurant called Tropika's which was SOOOOOOOOO good! It was Malaysian and so yummy! Tons of coconut curry/meat dishes...good veggie dishes....and an amazing hot and sour soup. My friends and I love good food and one of our missions for our trip to Edmonton was to eat as much yummy ethnic food as possible since there is a relative lack of it in Prince George. So we did a decent job of that.

Edmonton seems like a pretty nice place...lots of culture, not too commercialized (except the mall of course ).

Anyhow one really good thing about Prince George is that there is definately access to good meat - there are some bison farms nearby, I have friends who go hunting and can supply me with meat and there is a really great meat store in town that has all sorts of different things including grass fed lamb and quail and whatever you really want!

ok, my ranting is over...i've talked myself out of it!