Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 14:07

Plan: real food/no junk
Stats: 188/145/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Anyone still on G.I. Diet?

Hi,

I've given so many different plans a committed try for at least a few months each and sometimes up to a year, and I've tried alternating among them, but nothing has ever "cured" the hungry horrors or the binges -- I even overeat and gain weight while being in ketosis. These failures may have something to do with my health issues -- brain cyst, diabetes, screwed up adrenals, hypothyroidism, depression, etc.

But I never gave a fair shot to the Low G.I. plan, so I'm rereading those books, and committing to it for at least 3 months. So far, it *seems* to be reducing the number and severity of the hungry horrors attacks. And I'm starting to feel better. Maybe it's the right mix of protein, fat, and carbs for my needs -- I hope so!

I'd love to hear from anyone who is on this diet -- especially if you've had some success :-)

I tried a suggestion from a Fat Flusher about mixing WPP in my morning coffee, and just as she experienced, it was quite satisfying and I wasn't hungry until about 4-5 hours later. I hope there are some other good suggestions out there that will help me do this and stick to it!

TIA.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 04:35

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

go in daily weigh in posts

GI is all there or most...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 04:37
Green for Life!

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 193/148/143 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi.

I have been eating the G.I. way for over 2 years. Of course I don't follow it as much as I did when I was losing weight. I lost 60 lbs on the diet in less than 1 year, the first 20 lbs came off in 6 weeks.

It is a very healthy diet, especially for anyone with high sugar. I suffered from a lot of headaches prior, and they were gone after I started eating much better. Another friend who saw my transformation, started to eat this way and has also had great success both with weight loss and her health.

So give it a try and if you have any questions, don't be shy to ask.

What books are you using by the way? I did the G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 05:04

BF:

Thanks, Lanny -- I'll check out that thread after work today!

And thanks, Treehouse, I can't tell you how much it means to me to hear success stories. I've tried so many things for extended periods and wind up gaining, gaining, gaining, that I'd almost lost all hope.

As for books, I've got both Gallop books, which I really like. I also have The Glycemic Load, don't remember the author, which helps put a lot of G.I. info in perspective because it takes into account normal helping sizes of foods.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 08:58

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

The Wine & Food Lover's Diet by Dr Phil Tirman is a good plan too, and is very easy to follow, basically meals are protein/fat + 2 "savvy/super-savvy" carbs, the designation taking into account GL and whether you are in weight loss or maintenance; it also encourages moderate wine and chocolate consumption!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 09:13

BF:

Ooooh, moderate wine and chocolate -- I'll hunt up that book for sure. Thanks! I'm really feeling better knowing that this plan is helping people. I'm down another .6 pounds after .8 yesterday, so I'm pretty pleased so far :-)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-07, 04:28

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

I went from an Australian size 12(US 8) to an 8 (US 2) following a low GI plan and have not regained the weight. Rather than follow any particular book, I followed a few simple rules:

*Only eat carbs with a GI<50.
*No carbs within 5 hours of bed time.
*No added fats, apart from a little olive oil spray for cooking.
*Eat only when TRULY hungry.
*Alcohol permitted: dry wine, dry cider, spirits mixed with soda water or diet soda.
*Plenty of steamed and/or salad vegies every day.
*Fish at least 3 times a week.

I don't eat chicken or red meat, but I guess lean chicken would be alright and maybe very lean red meat 1ce a week.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-07, 07:13

BF:

Hi Delphoene,

Thanks for posting and congratulations on your great success!!!

Your "rules" are very interesting: kind of semi-LC, low fat, and near vegetarian -- a plan similar to one I've had success with in the past.

You've given me a lot to think about -- thanks again!