Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 18:56

Plan: paleo
Stats: 162/146/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Adapting to a healthy diet - Am I going overboard?

I've been on and off dieting for 1 1/2 years. Because of PCO, I don't lose weight as fast as other people and I've never succeeded in dieting so I gave up. But I realize now it was because of PCO and because of it, I've decided to really commit this time.

I went to WF today and bought coconut oil, acv and flaxseeds. I'm taking a lot of supplements: chromium & cinnamon, vitamin B & D, potassium & gluconate, calc & mag & zinc, and cranberry pills. My health issues are PCOs symptoms, overactive bladder and constant sore throat. I've taken flaxseeds for a month now so I know its benefits. I have never taken coconut oil or acv. What kind of health benefits would I experience and how long would it take? Also, am I taking too many supplements? If so, which ones should I cut out? Thank you for any input!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi, Welcome to this forum.

I hope you are keeping on the LC way. It sounds as you are really enthused!

What is PCO?

Sounds crappy...

Have you been doing any other things with food to aleviate your symptoms?

I would think that if you have any sort of food intolerance or anything that this way of eating can help identify problems. You only eat a limited variety of foods for a while. Then slowly add in higher carb foods one at a time. That way you can see how you do with yourself.

Also, adding back in Little Debbie's .... not a goal here.
Not eating crap will make anyone feel better.

OK
So I think you have some good ideas. With the flax seed -- it goes in a lot of recipes like 1minute muffins.
I tried to do the
Braggs AC vinegar, but I keep forgetting to drink it. But it makes the best cucumber & onions!

GOOD LUCK!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 21:56

BF:

Hi~

Wow, you have great stats! I'm still have a long way to go but it seems as if you are almost there.

PCOS is a hormonal condition and the best way to relieve the symptoms is losing weight so that's why I'm here.

I tried it yesterday mixed in warm water and was not a fan but I'm going to try to keep at it as it seems very healthy.

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you too!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 06:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

How awesome of you, and yes, PCOS responds well to LC; I think you're on the right track.

My only warning about the supplements is that you can jump into a whole bunch, and then have a reaction or something, and not know what is causing it! Not that is usually does, just something to think about.

I love coconut oil; it's so silky and tasty. Those are all good for you. But watch the calc & mag & zinc; I'd hold off on those because they can cause problems; and phase in the easy ones, like coconut oil, acv and flaxseeds, vitamins B & D--those should be all good.

My chromium picolinate warns about taking too many, so I just use them every other day for a week or so if cravings get big; seems to help. Cinnamon I just use in smoothies, haven't taken it as a supplement.

Cranberry pills sound good for your bladder issues; also, the extra water most people take in doing LC should help that, too.

Hope this helps.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 09:56

Stats: 262/198/150 Female 5'7
BF:

Wow, I'm so with you on this! I started Atkins two weeks ago and man have I gone a little nuts with the supplements. I'm hooked on coconut oil. It fixed one side effect of induction in snap. I've noticed my hair is falling out a bit more than normal, but read that that's likely due to the change in diet. Not going to panic just yet! But to be on the safe side, bought some biotin and other hair growth vitamins. Also getting some fish oil for the omega 3's since I'm not a huge fish eater and hate flax seed. Tried it, just couldn't stand it!

I don't have PCOS, but I do have hormone issues in regards to gaining and losing weight. Since putting on the 100 lbs or so in the last two years, my hormones are so out of whack I'm dreading my next TOM. Plus, I'm growing a beard which is not normal LOL.

I've also been drinking around 16 oz of green tea everyday intermingled with my water. I can drink it plain no sweeteners and have noticed an increase in energy. I've lost 12 lbs so far, so I guess it's not interfering! I hope that continues.......

But good luck! My Dr. told me that losing weight period would help many of my hormonal issues. I hope she is right.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 16:20
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Hi Gummiebear. Be careful with cranberry, it can make some bladder problems worse - I've learned this first hand.

Lee
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-10, 19:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
How awesome of you, and yes, PCOS responds well to LC; I think you're on the right track.

I love coconut oil; it's so silky and tasty. Those are all good for you. But watch the calc & mag & zinc; I'd hold off on those because they can cause problems; and phase in the easy ones, like coconut oil, acv and flaxseeds, vitamins B & D--those should be all good.

Hi! Thanks for the info! It helps a lot. I just have one question. How does calc & mag & zinc cause problems? I notice that when I don't take them my joints ache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas327
Wow, I'm so with you on this! I started Atkins two weeks ago and man have I gone a little nuts with the supplements. I'm hooked on coconut oil. It fixed one side effect of induction in snap. I've noticed my hair is falling out a bit more than normal, but read that that's likely due to the change in diet. Not going to panic just yet! But to be on the safe side, bought some biotin and other hair growth vitamins. Also getting some fish oil for the omega 3's since I'm not a huge fish eater and hate flax seed. Tried it, just couldn't stand it!

I don't have PCOS, but I do have hormone issues in regards to gaining and losing weight. Since putting on the 100 lbs or so in the last two years, my hormones are so out of whack I'm dreading my next TOM. Plus, I'm growing a beard which is not normal LOL.

I've also been drinking around 16 oz of green tea everyday intermingled with my water. I can drink it plain no sweeteners and have noticed an increase in energy. I've lost 12 lbs so far, so I guess it's not interfering! I hope that continues.......

But good luck! My Dr. told me that losing weight period would help many of my hormonal issues. I hope she is right.

It's good to know that I'm not alone even though it sucks that we have to go through this. My hair was falling out too but now it's better and I didn't take any supplements specifically for the hair so maybe it was just the dramatic change in the eating habits.

I'm the opposite. I can stand flaxseeds but I can't stand coconut oil. It makes me so nauseous but I just try to gulp it down. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.

I also had like 3 periods in one month since starting this diet which was just so weird as I usually miss them. However, now that's over, I'm doing much better and I think it's good to release the extra hormones even though it's a pain having a period. Unfortunately with hormone issues, there comes hair growth issues. I also hope that these problems with dissipate with weight loss. This is why I'm trying so hard to lose weight now.

Wow, congrats on the weight loss! I lost about 6 lbs in 14 days even though I went off the diet for 3 of those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Hi Gummiebear. Be careful with cranberry, it can make some bladder problems worse - I've learned this first hand.

Lee

It can? I didn't know that. I finished my small bottle and I think I will stop as I am taking so many supplements already. Thanks for the info.!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-10, 12:50
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Cranberry can be bad depending on the cause for the overactive bladder. I have interstitial cystitis which causes frequency, sometimes it can cause urgency and even pain. Acidic foods make symptoms worse and cranberry is acidic. I used to think, when I had a flare up that it was a bacterial cystitis, I'd be knocking back the cranberry juice and the symptoms would be getting worse due to the acid. But as I said it all depends on the cause, cranberry only provides some protection against getting bacterial infections.

Lee
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-10, 14:20

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
I'm hooked on coconut oil. It fixed one side effect of induction in snap.

What side effect was that?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-10, 18:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
What side effect was that?

Constipation LOL. Sorry....... I didn't realize that one should ease into the CO. Kinda jumped in without reading the sign!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-10, 06:59

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Constipation LOL. Sorry....... I didn't realize that one should ease into the CO. Kinda jumped in without reading the sign!

Oh...duh! Sorry - I should have figured that out myself, since I had the same thing happen the first time I tried CO.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-10, 08:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have the exact opposite effect with CO. I get diarrhea.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-10, 08:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I have the exact opposite effect with CO. I get diarrhea.

Yeah, CO was the cure for the constipation. And boy was it ever! I was sort of okay with that because the other problem was getting a little out of control.