Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 14:29
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Question I need Free Day Guidelines please

I've read some BFLers talk about their free day like it's a High-Carb Fiesta! What's the deal? I thought if you carb'd out like that you'd be out of ketosis and have to go through induction again?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 15:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Teri, I don't know who you're talking about but most of us use freeday as a LC fiesta. It's a day to eat what you want when you want - for me it's a day to not have to eat 6 or 7 meals and to not have to eat carbs - I typically eat less on my free days. Everyone handles it a little differently, of course.

I'd forget about ketosis and induction if you're going to do BFL - carbs have to come up, Induction levels won't cut it. With intense exercise and copious quantities of water you wouldnt register on a stix regardless of being in ketosis. BFL is primarily a quest for muscle - muscle that will burn fat for you. It's about a lot of other things as well - making promises to yourself and finding inner strength as well as physical strength. Yes, it can be done a la LC, but it's a little different than doing LC with weight lifting.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 17:30
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Thanks, Nat.... that confirms my thinking, too.

I was planning to add another vegetable, or bigger salad, add perhaps an orange, some cantaloupe or increase berries. I'm shooting for about 25-30 effective carbs and maybe more. I'll decrease fat a little, increase protein. I'll be posting in my journal and will invite you to look at my counts to see what you think.

Thanks for the feedback on this.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 02:02

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Bill Phillips talks about the Free Day as a truly junk food fiests and explains that the poor way it makes you feel will make you look foward to your next workout and rigid eating plan. Well, those of us that are LC'ers already know full well how horrible such a day would make us feel and simply have no need or desire to subject ourselves to it. We are selfish, we want to feel good every single day we can!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow re: free day

Hello all..
As someone who has just begun her twelve week journey, i am finding that just knowing i have a free day not far away is a great thing. When i was on atkins..if i "cheated", it would set me back three days (ketosis wise). I have a bfl calander type thing posted right in front of me and everytime i look up and review it..i see that free day in the very near future. BIG FAN! I agree w/ wb in that the high carb thing does make you feel gross..but its still nice to know its there!
Good luck to us all!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 16:35

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Having completed my first BFL challenge and experienced 12 free days, I have to say that for me....free simply means that I don't go to the gym. I tend to eat my 6 or 7 meals anyway because I've found it's the most comfortable way for me to eat. And I've never eaten anything 'way out' or not LC, simply because my body seems to thrive on consistency.

Marlaine