Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:41

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Depletion circuit and nausea

I'm having some "intestinal distress" with my Friday circuit workouts. Last week I did 3 circuits in about an hour and twenty minutes with 1' between sets and 5' between circuits. Yesterday I did 3 circuits in an hour with no rest between sets and 2' between circuits (I was short on time ). Both days, I found my stomach bothering me by the end of the second circuit. Not that queasy stomach feeling that I associate with nausea, but actually having acid or bile or something yucky come up in my throat, especially if I did anything bent over (like triceps kick backs). Yesterday I cut out my last set of abs because I was afraid I might vomit in the gym (OK, and look like a weenie). I even took a dose of Pepto before the workout yesterday, but I don't know if that made things better or worse. What am I doing wrong here, folks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:48

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default hmmmm ....

That's unusual ... how is your breathing while you are lifting? The only thing I can think of is too much inter-abdominal pressure ...

I'll look into it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:56

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Now that you mention it, I can only recall paying attention to my breathing when I'm doing upper body stuff and it's pretty even and controlled then. I exhale as I lift and inhale as I bring the weight back down. Maybe when I'm doing my legs and some of the back sets (the ones I can't remember breathing during) I'm clenching my abs or holding my breath or something. I'll check this out...Thanks

BTW, I have no problems like this with my regular upper and lower body workouts.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 08:37

Plan: CKD
Stats: 240/225/200
BF:25%/25%/10%
Progress: 38%
Default Could just be intensity

Vomiting while working out is not uncommon. For me, it happens or comes close to happening on leg days when I do 20 rep squats. I've seen other guys do it on other lifts. The common factor is the intensity.

Now, I guess it depends on the gym where you workout on whether it would be considered something gross or just one of those things that happens.

I know when I workout at home, my daughters think it is hilarious to see daddy rack the bar then bend over the conveniently placed trashcan and heave.