Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-24, 09:31

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Weight-loss drug Zepbound resolves sleep apnea in up to 52% of patients, Lilly says

There have been multiple articles recently about how using the GLP-1 drugs are improving all kinds of medical problems. I saw an article the other day about it, but failed to bookmark it and now can't find it.

But this one showed up this morning:

Quote:
Weight-loss drug Zepbound resolves sleep apnea in up to 52% of patients, Lilly says

Eli Lilly said its popular weight-loss drug Zepbound helped resolve moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea in up to 52% of patients in two late-stage trials.
U.S.-based Lilly and Danish rival Novo Nordisk are in a race to get their obesity drugs approved to treat other ailments. Novo's Wegovy was approved as a treatment for heart disease in March, while Lilly's own heart-disease trial for Zepbound is expected to conclude this year.

Lilly in April said Zepbound, known chemically as tirzepatide, helped reduce episodes of irregular breathing in patients with obstructive sleep apnea by 55% in the first study and by 62.8% in the second.

Patients in the first study received tirzepatide, while patients in the second tested the drug in combination with continuous positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy, in which air is pumped into the lungs to keep the airway open during sleep.

Full results from the trials, presented Friday at the American Diabetes Association's scientific meeting in Orlando, Florida, showed Zepbound helped resolve sleep apnea in 43% of patients taking the drug alone and in 51.5% of those also using PAP.

The criteria for disease resolution was patients experiencing fewer than five episodes of shallow or no breathing per hour during sleep, or five to 14 episodes and not being excessively sleepy during the day, according to Lilly.

Lilly said 14.9% of patients on a placebo also achieved disease resolution in the first study, along with 13.6% in the second.

Friday's data showed Zepbound helped lower biomarkers related to sleep apnea, including oxygen desaturation, blood pressure, and C-reactive proteins - signs of inflammation that can indicate heart disease - Lilly said.
The drugmaker said it had submitted its application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to have Zepbound approved as a treatment for obstructive sleep apnea and would submit to other regulatory agencies globally in the coming weeks.

Lilly said the overall safety of tirzepatide in these trials was similar to past studies, with the most frequent side effects being diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and constipation.

The Indianapolis-based drugmaker presented data earlier this month showing Zepbound helped treat liver scarring in patients with a difficult-to-treat fatty liver disease called metabolic dysfunction-associated steatohepatitis, or MASH.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ays-2024-06-21/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-24, 09:36

BF:

The article doesn't mention if the sleep apnea patients lost any weight, but I have to wonder how many of these benefits attributed to the drugs are purely related to losing weight on those drugs.

Of course it also goes back to how difficult it is to lose weight on the routinely recommended low fat/high fiber diet, which just leaves you hungry all the time.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-24, 02:30

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
The article doesn't mention if the sleep apnea patients lost any weight, but I have to wonder how many of these benefits attributed to the drugs are purely related to losing weight on those drugs.

I've been thinking the same thing! On all these "miracle drug" stories. As far as I know, sleep apnea is primarily about either poor posture/injury or excess weight interfering with the free flow of air when we are relaxed. It's not a disease they give you a drug for. It's a purely mechanical process.

Most of the people who have the problem because of their weight loses this problem with the weight.

I'm thinking a lot of their dramatic results could easily be duplicated with a low carb diet, too. As you said, they would rather inject a drug the kills their appetite. And then, do little else. Pharma sells us drugs to make things easy now, and that makes me distinctly UNeasy.

Novocaine for a dental procedure goes away. We understand the mechanism and how it is supposed to work. Oversaturating the GLP-1 receptors lowers appetite, and those in the gut seems to be the sole focus of what they cared about.

But I understand these receptors are in the lungs, as well. So they will try to say it will help lung diseases. But I suspect that what is really going on is that the drug induces Atkins Induction style revamp of the metabolism.

Calories or carbs, they are in a restricted fast situation. I am certain THAT is what is creating these "miracle drug" results. It might be hidden in the existing data and they might not test the same way a study about low carb might.

But I can't believe putting a bunch of overweight people with health problems on Atkins Induction couldn't create the same dramatic results.

Because we all know it does.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-24, 09:14

BF:

The NYT daily newsletter discussed the GLP-1 drugs and how they amazingly result in better health. But at least they bring up some serious doubts:

Quote:
In the past two years, Ozempic has become a synonym for weight loss. When celebrities slimmed down, tabloids wondered whether they were taking the drug. Activists argued that the drug entrenched old norms about body image — people still seemed to want to be thin. Ozempic was weight loss; weight loss was Ozempic. It’s like Kleenex or Scotch tape: totemic.

Technically, while Ozempic is a diabetes drug, people can, and do, take it to drop weight.

But the drug — and others in its class, such as Wegovy, Mounjaro and Zepbound — is about much more. Scientists believe the drugs are about to revolutionize several fields of medicine, such as cardiology and endocrinology. Researchers are also running dozens of trials to see whether they might help with Alzheimer’s, liver disease, polycystic ovary syndrome and even skin conditions. If these trials prove successful, the drugs may extend many lives by years, save billions in medical costs and divide public health into before-and-after epochs. A researcher studying these drugs told me he felt like the scientist who first discovered antibiotics.

Those are some sky-high hopes, and not all will be come true. But we’ve already seen a real-world impact. In March, the Food and Drug Administration said that doctors could use Wegovy to reduce the risk of heart problems. Last month, a trial showed that the compound in Ozempic reduced the risk of complications from chronic kidney disease. And last week, two trials found that tirzepatide, the substance in Mounjaro and Zepbound, could improve symptoms of sleep apnea.

The idea that a single drug that could target so many kinds of disease might sound too good to be true. These drugs, called GLP-1s (glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor agonists), mystify even the scientists who study them. When I asked researchers how it was possible that Ozempic might help with cognitive issues and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and opioid addiction, they gave the same answer: We don’t know!

But we have early clues about where these drugs might take us — and what that means for medicine. In today’s newsletter, I’ll explain.
Ozempic injection pens on the production line. Charlotte de la Fuente for The New York Times

Fighting inflammation

Some researchers think Ozempic and drugs like it may have something of a medical superpower: lowering inflammation in the body.

Inflammation is a key part of the body’s defense system. When we sense a threat, such as one posed by a pathogen, our cells work to help us fight off the intruder. But chronic inflammation contributes to heart disease, lung disease, diabetes and a host of other major illnesses. If new obesity drugs really do reduce inflammation, that could explain their effect across such a wide spectrum of diseases.

Still, there are already limits. Not everyone responds to GLP-1s. Even those who slim down inevitably hit a floor, typically after losing about 15 percent of their body weight. And the drugs come with side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and constipation) and rare but serious risks: People can develop gallstones and an inflamed pancreas; they can eat so little they become malnourished; and, more commonly, they can lose muscle mass.

Limiting urges

We know that these medications target the areas of the brain that regulate appetite. But there are questions around what else the drugs do to the mind. I’ve interviewed dozens of people taking these medications who say they’ve lost all interest in alcohol.

Could these drugs curb other compulsive behavior, too, the way they silence “food noise”? Studies in rats suggest that GLP-1s reduce cravings for cocaine. Scientists are examining whether these medications might even be able to alleviate gambling addictions and smoking.

The great experiment

Ozempic and drugs like it are considered “forever drugs” — that is, people are supposed to stay on them for the rest of their lives. They’re like statins or blood pressure medications. When you stop taking them, they stop working.

But this class of drugs has existed for less than 20 years. Ozempic itself has been on the market for only six. We don’t know what happens after lifelong use of these drugs. Researchers point to past examples of drugs we once thought were miraculous, chiefly fen-phen. It, too, was astonishingly effective for weight loss. Then doctors learned that it damaged the heart and stopped prescribing it.

It will take years, more diverse trials and much more data to determine the potential of these drugs. We are years away from solid evidence underpinning their use to treat Alzheimer’s disease, for instance. There’s a chance they won’t do what scientists hope.

Researchers sometimes tell me that we’re living through the great Ozempic experiment.

Hundreds of thousands of people across the globe are taking GLP-1s. The number will rise as they’re approved for other uses. It may be years or generations before we know their hidden limitations — or their full powers.

(no link to the quote, because I'm just quoting from the newsletter that comes in my email)

So they're looking at a possibility that these drugs might also work to prevent/cure Alzheimer’s, liver disease, polycystic ovary syndrome and even skin conditions, some people taking them have lost all interest in alcohol, they seem to help with chronic kidney disease, and they're also wondering about things like gambling addictions, smoking, NALFD and opioid addiction, and think they must somehow reduce inflammation.

But there's this:

Quote:
Even those who slim down inevitably hit a floor, typically after losing about 15 percent of their body weight

And unless you have some kind of ongoing benefit that only continues if you continue taking them (such as purely inflammatory issues )
Quote:
When you stop taking them, they stop working.

With the exorbitant price of them currently, even those who have great success with them are going to be cut off eventually - unless they can somehow prove that it's the drug that's eliminating a whole host of other conditions... or until they (inevitably) regain the weight they lost and need to go back on it again.

And... LCers have seen the same kind of dramatic improvements just by going LC. Not universally of course - some lose weight better on LC than others, and age can be a factor too.

Also there are some LC foods that might cause problems for one person while not causing problems for others, such as how Bob-o-rama stays away from a whole bunch of staple LC foods (eggs and chicken are the ones on his list that come to mind first), because they cause so much inflammation for him. WB, you avoid foods with high oxalate content because they cause you so much trouble, while others may be able to eat them with no problem.

But by and large, a lot of people could do just as well on LC as on GLP-1 drugs, without the ridiculously high price tag and side effects of the drugs - they either just can't convince themselves that LC is a safe, sustainable way to eat for the rest of their lives, or are simply unable to overcome their cravings for carbs long enough to even test a LC diet properly.

LC is certainly not endorsed by the medical community in general, but GLP-1 drugs are.

For now, anyway.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-24, 14:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

Of course it also goes back to how difficult it is to lose weight on the routinely recommended low fat/high fiber diet, which just leaves you hungry all the time.

Very insightful observation. Sleep apnea is usually resolved with weight loss. It happened to me years ago when I first became strict with low carb. I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea, and I asked the doctor if lifestyle approaches worked, as I didn't want anything to do with a CPAP. He indicated that sometimes people had success through exercise and gave me 6 months to come back for a reassessment. He didn't act confident, but I dropped about 40 pounds and resolved it. I definitely had incentive, but I believe those who lose weight with these GLP-1 agonists are doing the same thing. By the way, when I lost this first amount of weight, I did it 90% through diet and 10% through exercise. I exercise far more today, probably because I lost the weight to enable me to enjoy it.

When you review my and others' experiences with weight loss and metabolic disease resolution, I lost the following along with my sleep apnea when I reached a healthy weight:
- High blood pressure
- Skin bumps on the back of my arms
- Skin tags
- General inflammation
- Sinusitis
- Seasonal allergies (severity)
- Poor sleep

It makes sense that these new chemicals would resolve HBP, CVD, sleep apnea, inflammation, and many other diseases of the metabolism in certain people. I suspect this dynamic is mostly due to weight loss. I'm concerned that the side effects and long-term consequences could ultimately lead to many other health issues as opposed to losing weight using lifestyle modifications. We know that weight loss can be achieved naturally, but it's a combination of knowledge, willingness to do personal trial and error, and patience. Those tend to be in short supply in our world favoring immediate gratification with little effort.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-24, 03:02

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

when I reached a healthy weight, I got:
- "perfect" blood pressure
- better scores on blood tests for inflammation and nutrition, with a low A1C
- less anxiety (yes, losing weight in a healthful way helps moods!)
- relief of general inflammation, and the core of keeping my autoimmune in remission
- fixed a poor and confused immune response
- better digestion without constant medicating symptoms
- better sleep, from a 2-4 hour a night baseline

There's a lot of potential problems dodged when we clear up these basic threats. Now some of that is nutrition based, and there's known positive mental effects from ketosis in lots of people.

I'm saying I'm doing better with my list with longevity, too. My health is not on a precarious dependence of what health insurance I have from work or can afford. The difference is because I am actually fueling my body with nutrition, can pay for my own supplies, and my state IS the goal the drug is supposed to induce.

But I didn't lose only 15% of the weight I needed to lose, either.

As Rob pointed out, they are still trying to be children about their food. The drug is magic, so they make zero effort. Considering how chaotic and uncertain celebrity can feel like, despite how it looks from the outside, I think we know just how many stress eaters are out there in our celebrity culture, or the ones rich enough to put a run on the market.

And I want to emphasize: doing it without our results is not the same thing at all. Do they hang on to these early gains? It's then up to THEM and we are back to the usual, dismal, track record of failure because they won't be honest with people.