Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 10:20

Plan: Primal...ish
Stats: 158/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Thanks for the post Nancy. That's an interesting rat study, though I don't know how much rat physiology is applicable to humans. It does suggest that dysfunctional insulin signaling (diabetes) is associated with altered appetite regulation. Another nail in the low-fat coffin. On the coconut (C12) versus MCT oil (C8-C10) question, here's another study, showing C12 but not C10 suppresses ghrelin. I'm still looking for an advantage of C10 over C12 before I buy any MCT oil...

Effect of fatty acid chain length on suppression of ghrelin and stimulation of
PYY, GLP-2 and PP secretion in healthy men. Feltrin KL, Patterson M, Ghatei MA, Bloom SR, Meyer JH, Horowitz M, Feinle-Bisset C. Peptides. 2006 Jul;27(7):1638-43.

We have evaluated the effects of fatty acid chain length on ghrelin, peptide YY
(PYY), glucagon-like peptide-2 (GLP-2) and pancreatic polypeptide (PP) secretion
and hypothesized that intraduodenal administration of dodecanoic ("C12"), but not
decanoic ("C10"), acid would decrease plasma ghrelin and increase PYY, GLP-2 and
PP concentrations. Plasma hormone concentrations were measured in seven healthy
men during 90-min intraduodenal infusions of: (i) C12, (ii) C10 or (iii) control
(rate: 2 ml/min, 0.375 kcal/min for C12/C10) and after a buffet-meal consumed
following the infusion. C12 markedly suppressed plasma ghrelin and increased both
PYY and GLP-2 (all P < 0.05) compared with control and C10, while C10 had no
effect. Both C10 and C12 increased PP concentrations slightly (P < 0.05). We
conclude that the effects of intraduodenal fatty acids on ghrelin, PYY and GLP-2
secretion are dependent on their chain length.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 10:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Interesting! It's nice to find some information.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 180/135/135 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just to allay fears of having your o36 out of whack, that seem to be endemic, I would like to say that though some oils like olive oil do have a bad ratio they also dont have a ton of Poly's to begin with. So if you are using it to cook something like salmon, trout or some other fatty fish you most like end up with a good enough balance. especially if you add in some leafy greens to boot.