Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 16:35

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default "Drinking Man's Diet" Author at 93!

Wow! I just stumbled across this article about Robert Cameron, author of 1964's"The Drinking Man's Diet" . It's from a year ago, but at that time he was a very active 93 years old!

(Note: The Amazon link gives "Jeffrey W. Roberts" as the author. It is a pseudonym.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 16:44

Plan: Reduced Carb
Stats: 193/169.5/140 Male 5' 10"
BF:ok/ok/ok
Progress: 44%

That is very interesting. Thanks for the links!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 17:36

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Just think how old he would be if he hadn't done all that drinking!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 04:34

BF:

Here's another article, this one from Forbes magazine, on the diet, complete with a picture of the dapper old guy, drink in hand, lol! (And at Mike's comment!) It also contains a sample menu and testimonials.

According to the article, the guy who founded Harvard's School of Public Health called the diet "mass murder" at the time. (I wonder if he's still around?)

From the article:
Quote:
To Cameron's credit, his original said...in its conclusion: "Don't be a hog. If you gorge yourself with food, even if it is low in carbohydrates, you will get fat. If you drink too much, you will get drunk. Moderation in the pursuit of happiness is no vice."

And I love this, from the book -

Quote:
"So, drinkers of the world, throw away your defatted cottage cheese and your cabbage juice; and sit down with us to roast duck and Burgundy. You have nothing to lose but your waistlines."

#5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 13:51

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

This is so funny. I have the original 1964 publication with the price prominently displayed on the front cover...$1.00! It is a simple light brown book with black bold printing. Fifty pages of written material with 4 blank pages for "Notes". I think I'll read it again just for fun!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 20:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
According to the article, the guy who founded Harvard's School of Public Health called the diet "mass murder" at the time. (I wonder if he's still around?)
He died in 1992 at the age of 91.

From an obituary of Dr. Stare
Quote:
Dr Stare leapt to the defence of sugar (“a quick energy food...put a teaspoon in [your] coffee or tea three or four times a day”), Coca-Cola (“a healthy between-meals snack”) and all those nasty Es (“Eat your additives. They're good for you”). Small wonder, then, that the American food industry thought it had a friend in Dr Stare. Any recommendation he made was bound to please some lobby or other. Manufacturers of corn oil and margarine much appreciated his intervention in the Great Lipids Controversy of the early 1960s, when Dr Stare decided, untypically, to demonise butter, and recommended that all Americans should drink a cup of corn oil a day.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 07:02

BF:

Fascinating, Mike...thanks.

Coca-Cola - “a healthy between-meals snack”!!

My husband went to medical school in the early 80's, and was taught that sugar was perfectly harmless and there was nothing at all wrong with sugary breakfast cereals, etc., if they got kids to consume all the vitamins they need.