Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 15:23

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Brain Fog

I notice I/ am having a terrible time with brain fog when eating LC. It is really bad, starting to affect my work. I can be in a meeting with my boss and forget a name or some information that is simple. Am I eating too few carbs?

I was talking to my wife and she had to help me twice this morning, i had to call asparagus,"the green stuff", because I couldn't remember the name.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 16:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Have you covered the points in the Salt thread? I know you've been around the forums for quite some time, is this a new issue?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 18:03
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time.

I guess the question first is how many total carbs you eating on average?

I can but can't relate. But it wasn't because of LCing. It was because of a dr. prescribing a medicing that messed with my brain chemistry(serotine I believe) in hopes to help me loose weight.

Are their any meds you taking that might have this side effect?

And the medicine literally resulted in memory damage. 5% of people could experience this.

I have also experienced it with hormone shifts. But since i lost alot of weight and got my diabetes under control. This has improved greatly.

I also used to feel hollow and shelly like I wasn't in my environment/connected and I found that was caused by High BGs and high insulin levels. And since I been on Dr B's plan that happens very rarely now.

The other question is it could be a particular food(s) that are causing it. You might want to track the food you are eating and see if their is a pattern.

For instance with me I found eating too much vinegar resulted in worse PMS/period. It literally affected my hormones. Same with Vitamin C. Same with Soy based products.

So the other thought is the Lcing effecting your testostrone levels?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 18:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 172/161/135 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, too. I started low carb about 7 years ago. In the beginning, I followed Dr. B's plan to the letter and then altered it a bit but I'm still very low carb. In all this time I've never had any brain fog.

So, I also would ask if you are on any other medications. Do you know what your blood sugar is? Low blood sugar might be a cause but you'd have to test to see what it is. How about your blood pressure? Do you take any meds for it, and do you know what your blood pressure is on a daily basis?

I would suggest seeing your doctor to rule out both your blood sugar and blood pressure as causes. You might need blood tests run for anemia and low testosterone or thyroid - whatever your doctor thinks would identify what's going on. Are you sleeping through the night?

I hope you find out what's going on.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 18:38

BF:

Thanks for all of your help!!!! I have been havng waking blood sugars around 70 for the past week and I have Not been sleeping well.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 19:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 172/161/135 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Are you on any medication for diabetes?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 04:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I found the total opposite. My brain fog lifted when I stopped eating carbs. It took about a week, but it was miraculous lol

Jo xxx
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 05:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

I agree with Jo - I act, feel, sleep, think and work SOOOOO much better on low carb.

The clarity and motivation I have when eating properly has been amazing.

I agree with others - perhaps check with your doctor to see if there is another underlying reason.

Deanna
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 07:10

BF:

No meds at all.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 08:03

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

How many carbs are you eating a day? I found the opposite. If I ate above 50gm (max) carbs a day, my body didn't really adjust to using protein for the brain function and was still trying to use carbs...and obviously I wasn't eating enough for that. I ended up having to drop under 30.

Last edited by Elfie : Tue, Apr-01-14 at 06:03.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 13:14
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hmmmm, to me waking up with a 70 BG sounds like borderline Hypoglcymic? If you are waking to that. I wonder if during the night you might be dipping below 70.

Here is an article on it...

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

Also have you been testing through out the day? Especially when you are feeling that way to see what your BG is?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 17:16

Stats: 223/137/124 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

You don't use protein for energy except the small amount converted to glucose, in which case it's carbs. So you're either using carbs or fat for energy, and Bernstein is not low fat. You can get brain fog by not eating enough fat when you're low carb.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-14, 06:06

Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMac53
You don't use protein for energy except the small amount converted to glucose, in which case it's carbs. So you're either using carbs or fat for energy, and Bernstein is not low fat. You can get brain fog by not eating enough fat when you're low carb.

Eh...typo. I've corrected it. The brain uses glucose to function properly (cuz we're talking about brain fog here...and I obviously 'had a moment'. ) and in the absence of carbs, protein will supply that glucose. Although I've found that you can still be considered low carb (50gm) but that may not be low enough (for that particular person) to convert from carbs to protein as their brain fuel.