Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 08:54

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default T2 - does a few points matter?

I'm doing pretty LC each day, generally 20 or under, am on 2000mg of metformin/day and have already seen a significant change in my morning BS readings, plus dropped a good bit of weight. Lately I've noticed my numbers "creeping" back up. I had been running consistently under 110, no lower than say 105, but now I'm bouncing around 117-119. I know that's not a huge difference and probably no cause for concern but I don't like seeing them go back up like that. Am I just being a little too paranoid about my numbers? I seriously want off some of this medication so that's why I'm so focused on it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 09:02

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

You're not being paranoid. You want those numbers as low as possible. Are those fasting glucose numbers or post prandial? Have you seen the www.bloodsugar101.com website? Lots of valuable information on what are normal numbers, how to get there, when to use medication. Her stance is that it is better to use medication for lower numbers than to be off meds and accept higher numbers, and that post prandial numbers are more important than fasting. She cover dawn phenomenon as well.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 09:41

BF:

Those are fasting numbers - and by fasting, I mean before I eat in the morning. So that test time could vary by 30 minutes or so, but it's always before I eat or drink anything and always before I take my meds. The only thing different lately is I probably haven't been drinking as much water lately as I have normally been. Could that make a difference?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 09:50

BF:

And I'm checking out the website - thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Under LC FBG can go up, although if you take your a1c, you'll find it is very good regardless.

I did find that if I cut back on protein that those number will go back down to the 80-90 range in the mornings. Jimmy Moore's N=1 experiment talks about limiting protein. You might want to google for that.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 10:18

BF:

Thanks - I'll check that out too. I go in a month to check my a1c, my first since starting the meds, diet, etc. My dad also found out he was T2 about the same time, is taking only 1000mg of metformin/day and following roughly the Ada guidelines for eating - he checks his numbers after eating too, he's had numbers in the 80s! The few times I've checked after eating mine have been about the same or just a few points higher. I know you can't really compare between people, but I find it interesting!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 18:38
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

I would agree with Nancy on the protein...And possibly looking at your carb food you are ingesting and seeing if their is any correlation between that and higher readings.

Keep a food journal marking down weighted/measured amounts/pro/carbs eaten each time. That might help you discover the issue.