Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 17:51

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile Coffee question.

Hi there,
I was wondering who here has a cup in the morning...I really miss my hot coffee in the early a.m. to help me get started...I haven't had any since I found out I was pregnant though....thanks alot!.......
Jess
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 00:10
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hi retro!
I am a coffee lover. During both my pregnancies, I drank 2-3 cups every morning, with milk. The only trouble I had was during this second pregnancy, in the first 3 months, with morning sickness, hot coffee lost its appeal ( ), so I'd make a protein shake w/scoop of plain pp, ice, T instant coffee, sweetener, milk.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 07:52

BF:

Dane-that's good to know!..I just feel soo sluggish in the morning...and it's been hard working out at a good intensity...I never touched the stuff with my first pregnancy but am very tempted now!...So I am assuming your doc said it was ok? I still have yet to see mine...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 00:57
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

My doc said coffee is fine, in moderation.....ie, a few cups per day. The big thing is to be sure you are also drinking plenty of water (and milk, too, if you can). Beverages like coffee, soda, diet soda, juice..... while not toxic to your baby, they are empty calories that will fill you up and possibly cause you to undereat the nutritious stuff. But I always drink coffee w/milk and a meal, so no worries there. My trouble during pregnancy was not undereating, heh!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 12:52

BF:

Dane-that is good to hear....gonna have a cup today
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I have about a cup per day. I got rid of it for the first trimester and found it necessary to have some again to get through school and midterms/finals this semster... so I'm having it now, and will cut it out closer to the birth. I've read about cranky and awake babies from breastfeeding caffeine people and I think that a lot of effort on my part will be devoted to trying to get as much sleep as I can
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 08:27

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi there, I am been drinking coffee again since the morning sickness ended (week 13 on the dot!) and I am drinking about 2 - 3 cups a day. I have done this with all my pregnancies (this is 5) and have never had any problems at all. I drank coffee while breast feeding as well and never noticed anything different with my babies. With baby #1 I had cut out everything when breastfeeding, but since I have no will power, I started back on everything gradually and never noticed a difference. I have never had a colicky baby (knock on wood...) and the only time I ever noticed a direct correlation between my intake and the babies demeanor (not counting a glass of wine once!) was when I started on lowcarb while breast feeding. With my last two babies I noticed that they were quite fussy for the first couple of days and then they were fine with it. I am personally kind of sensitive to caffine, I can really feel it if I have too much (3 cups) but even then I never had a problem.