Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 20:07

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
Joe Graedon promotes this use of Vicks on the feet on his website and newspaper column, The People's Pharmacy.

Yes! There's a book out now by him and his partner, and it's fabulous. It mentions the Vicks, and apparently the stuff can do a lot...

To the OP, one of my best friends is just starting her practice as an eastern medicine Dr. She does acupuncture, herbal remedies, etc., all that. At this point, chinese medicine is very much accepted by western standards (i was very suprised to hear that kaiser permanente does acupuncture!) From talking with my friend throughout her time in school, i've come to the conclusion that it's no joke what this alternative type of medicine can do. If there is a chinese/ eastern medicine practice or acupuncture practice near you, i would say it's worth looking into. I'd bet that if you contacted an acupuncture clinic, they could give you more information.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-07, 10:33

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

You didn't mention if your son's lymph glands are swollen, they would be most prominent on his neck. Your son sounds like my youngest boy. I'll wager that going to school with all the new germs has put him in the ER more frequently, too. If your boy is around anybody with a bug, he'll have a full blown case of it by the end of the week, right?

One of the things I had to do was send hand sanitizer every week for the whole class--and insist that it be used. Now they have the germ killing tissues, something else I would have bought for the class.

Nobody will be hurt if you ask them to stay home if they're even a little bit sick. If they are, explain the situation to them.

Natural supplements. Bromelain is found in pineapple. Good stuff for asthmatics. Echinacea to fight off infections.

Another thing that seemed to help was having the duct work cleaned regularly at the house and getting a decent humidifier.

Hope these suggestions help! Let me know, I'll see if there's anything else I can remember.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-07, 10:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ditto what Bat Spit said. There's a big link between autoimmune food intolerances and asthma. Also, make sure your young'un is getting plenty of sunshine for Vit. D. They might not get to many colds in the first place if their D3 levels are nice and high. Consider supplementing D3 in the winter.

www.vitamindcouncil.com
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-07, 14:44
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Are you giving your son any medication for the colds?

I have asthma and in my late teens & early 20s ended up in the hospital everytime I got a cold too. I took NeoCitran for my cold each time I had one, and NeoCitran had aspirin in it. Turns out I was allergic to aspirin. Many asthmatics are also allergic to aspirin apparently.

If you gave him any aspirin containing products when he had each cold, that might be your culprit.

Val