Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  105.5 lbs in 8 months

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 15:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Wow

Mike,

Thank you for sharing your story. You have done a "fabulous" job with this new WOL and winning different colour belts in Tae Kwon Do.

What a great way to start, on a bet with your best buddy! Hopefully one day you will get Lee converted to LC. There's hope for him. .... and your story was not too long, it was just right.

3 cheers for Mike

Ruth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 16:09

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Your Story

As I said yesterday, what a great job you've done. You also did a fantastic job of telling your story.

I'm sure it will be motivation for all who read it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 16:23

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

That's an amazing story Mike, and brilliantly told.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I was particularly intrigued by how detailed you and Lee made your contract. You both gave it a tremendous amount of thought - how clever to but a bottom-limit to your daily calorie intake.

You both obviously wanted to be healthy, not stupid

Do you think Lee would ever give low-carbing a chance? After seeing how terrific you've done?

I feel like there should be a continuing series to your story.

Congrats on your green belt BTW.

Have a great LC day and thanks for telling your story.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 19:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up hey Mike

Wow, great story .... and well-deserved success. Thankyou for sharing and inspiring!

And no doubt you will reach your goal soon enough ... both with your health and weight AND with the TKD. Congrats!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 20:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great story Crowis!

I have been intrigued by your sig line ever since you first started posting and am glad to know the history behind it.

Hope without action is a dream, and you have certainly activated your hope in a big way. More power to 'ya!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 21:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Thank You

Mike,

For sharing your story. I love hearing/reading stories like yours particularly when you are able to share the things you have learned about yourself along the way.

Isn't it great to gain all that self-confidence in your ability to follow through with something. I think it gives one a strength we don't always recognize is there beneath the surface.

And I think you are right, hope is a very important component in our lives.

Best of luck on your continued weight loss journey
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile Thanks for your responses!

Thanks for your responses to my little tale.

In regards to my friend Lee. . . Let's just say that he is very determined to never try a low-carb diet. He is absolutely convinced that the AMA is correct in their portrayal of the low carb diet. And while he (obviously) can not comment about its effectiveness, he does comment about its health factors.

While I have shared studies with Lee, he is quite content in cross sharing his own studies (that he's found) and admits that while not all physicians agree the weight of doctor opinion still swings to low fat diets.

I must admit that I am very aggressive in trying to get Lee to switch to LowCarb attempts, but honestly Lee must try a program he believes will succeed or his chances will be minimal to nill.

Currently he is trying the Body for Life program by a man I truly admire (regardless of his poorly hidden cash quest), Bill Phillips. The program is an excellent one, and I think Lee is very revved up about trying it. Unfortunately life is already getting in Lee's way (The Mariners in Post Season), so I'll have to see how things go. Hopefully well.

In regards to my future and the future of those on this board. . . like I said, I think its all about hope. If you have it and build your determination airliner with it, you can fly anywhere. I know I tend to be a little firm with some of my posts (regarding exercise especially), but that stems from a belief that people who always push themselves will succeed.

I hope no one takes that the wrong way.

But again, thanks so much for your responses and hope to you all

Mike
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 13:18

Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Mike,

I truly enjoyed reading your story. You are an inspiration to us all and to low carb. I hope one day your friend joins you on this forum so he can benefit from all the knowledge and expertise available.

Sylvie p
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 15:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mike, I just got around to reading your story. Thanks for sharing. I latched onto the comment a bout "hope" for I too felt and feel that way. Low fat/low calorie had me hopeless and frustrated; Low Carb has given me back hope and faith in myself. Although I am not yet at my goal, I now refer to it as "when i reach it" and not "if"; this is something new and has me quite in awe of what I can do. Sharing such stories and insights only increases my desire to strive for greater success and to help others acheive their own.

I hope your friend, Lee, finds something that works as well for him as LC has for you

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 19:20

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

Fabulous story mike.. You sound like you are going through with your friend what I went through with a gentleman I know.. Nothing or no one could convince him that he would give up his bread or potatoes or sugar to lose weight.. Well with much convincing on my part and after a few talks he finally gave it a try..NOT to mention my showing him my before pic.. He decided to give it a try and with much success has lost over 50 lbs in less than a year...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 22:20

Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up WTG Mike

Good stuff. I enjoyed reading your post. I too stand about 6.1 and was around 290-300. I too tryed other diets for years without half the sucess I've had on this WOL.

About 7-yrs ago, I was around 260-lbs, went on my own diet plan and lots of exercise. At work, was always running all day long, walked 3-miles, 3-4 times a week, and had a softball practice and game every week.
In about 6-months time I lost 28-30lbs (230-232) and couldn't get below that for the next 6-months. Like everybody else, and results like that, I fell off the wagon.

Now with the LC plan, no real added exercise (exept AM walking) I've dropped approx 60-70lbs with realitive ease. Blew right thru that stall area of years ago to 225-lbs and still going. The LC way is just amazing.

Keep up the good work, as will I.

Cheers, John
PS: I am trying to get a friend of mine on this plan. He is probably just under my start weight and once I get to where I want to be, hopefully he'll see how great this plan works. Just can't seem to get him motivated to do it currently.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 10:48

Stats: 165/148/110
BF:
Progress: 31%
Thumbs up WOW!!!!! I READ IT TWICE!!!!!

I had to read your story twice! I loved it! You should write books! I can speak well but I can never get my word typed to where they sound right! Your story is an inspiration to those of us that are just beginning our journey! Thank you for sharing!And again I must say WOW!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 20:50

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default I'm inspired

Thanks Mike for writing your story.
I want to lose as much as you have lost already. I think you are right about the hope bit. It is the hope that keeps you going.
I noticed that you also exercise a lot. I think I'll have to get back to yoga and walking the dog.
Keep winning those coloured belts,
kezza
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 21:10

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

mike -
you rock. it was so very kind of you to share your story. did you see pay it forward? this is a huge forward.

p.s. christmas vacation is one of my favorite movies
thanks
brenda
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 17:31

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Mike,

I too would like to thank you for your story and the inspiration it offers. There is nothing so powerful as anecdotal narrative, and you have done a brilliant job of combining factual detail with abstract issues like hope, determination and the will to succeed. It is a tour de force, in which you totally and conclusively prove your point.

All power to you

Andy
  #16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 20:57

Plan: atkens
Stats: 230/175/140
BF:
Progress: 61%
Wink

hi mike , what a wonderful story, you should be so proud of yourself, keep up the good work,
i have lost 58 lbs in the last year, with another 30 to go, i can understand your feeling of pride when you get into a size smaller pants, what a wonderful feeling
i am so happy for you
Sponsored Links