View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 09:31

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I sometimes wonder if there are plant foods I skipped over that would actually be fine for me. I only gave up potato chips because I was transitioning from gluten-free/dairy-free to Atkins - they never seemed to cause a problem for me like grains did. I've had a few root-vegetable experiments (turnip, parsnip, rutabaga) and they didn't seem to do me any noticeable harm. On the other hand, I didn't really like them enough to make it worth experimenting further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
To me, carnivore would only be something I'd do as a last resort. Maybe if I hated veggies I would, but I lurv them.

That's the funny thing. I never expected to hate veggies. I was always the "good kid" who appreciated his vegetables. I used to think I liked eggplants and spinach and things like that. But as soon as I decided they weren't good for me, I realized I was just fooling myself because that's how my parents taught me to eat. Those things are bitter and nasty! There were eggplant and spinach dishes that I liked, but they were loaded with salt and fat and cheese and hot peppers and garlic. THAT was what I liked! But now, even stuff like hot peppers and garlic have lost their appeal. I tasted some garlicky sausage recently and it was like someone had thrown a load of stinking garbage into my meat and ruined it.

I still wish I could eat asparagus, brussels sprouts and broccoli, but to be honest, last time I snuck a taste of brussels sprouts, I was put off by the bitterness.