#53   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 11:27

Plan: nursing lc paleo
Stats: 175/147/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers
So what about just butter? I've seen that some people have troubles with other forms of dairy like milk and cheese, but what about just butter?

I used to take some whey protein powder (low-carb), but it still had some lactose in it... I would always get terrible sinus trouble with it. But with just butter I don't get any sinus problems or phlegm or congestion of any kind.

I do struggle with irritable bowel syndrome, but am hesitant to blame the butter (only dairy product) in my daily diet because for a few years time I was on low-fat Paleo (high fruit, lean meats, etc.) and I still had bad bloating and abdominal distension with just about anything I ate (and for a while there was no dairy involved).

It's hard for me to keep the fat up without dairy butter, and I gravitate towards very high fat, moderate protein. I think its more so just the fat itself rather than it being dairy butter that stimulates my IBS.

Is there still opiates and all that good stuff that dairy-avoiders avoid dairy for in butter? I might consider eliminating it for a week to see how things go, but know that that would be a bit of a struggle b/c I've relied on it as a dense fat source for over a year now on VLC.

Cheese TOTALLY constipates me, so I avoid it like the plague. And I don't touch cream or milk because I suspect the lactose would give me problems as well. So with these problems with the less popular forms of dairy, would it be safe to assume that butter also is a potential villain for me?

Thanks,

Sounds like you have a problem with casein(milk protein)...there is a lot in cheese and very little in butter. Butter is the only dairy that I can eat....I use a lot of coconut oil/milk for my fats. You could always experiment and see if butter is an issue for you.